• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Gandih42

Finally took the plunge at got myself a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (used copy).

Really excited to get started on it but think I'll finish Spiritfarer first so I don't have too many games going on simultaneously.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Monster Hunter Rise (Game Pass)

I got a brand new PS5 collecting dust. Game Pass keeping me plenty full. I’m about to hit HR30. This weekend I plan on really sinking my teeth into Hi-Fi.

Mr Hyde

Second boss down and second cleared track in HiFi Rush. This boss felt like the first major boss, since she was one of the Vanderlay employess you have to fight. The game keeps getting better and better. New mechanics have been added, such as a grappling hook and the ability to use Peppermint in battle. The gameplay is very addictive. You can string up some sick combos in this game, however I´m pretty bad at memorizing all of them. The good thing is that the game is pretty forgiving for noobs like me, it does a decent enough job in letting you think you pulled off some awesome moves, which is something I really like. Tango keeps encouraging to try out different moves and you never feel like you failed even though you did fail with the rythm. But if you´re skilled enough, they reward you even more so. Kinda like "everyone´s getting an award" except it´s done well and it doesn´t feel cheap. It never takes away from the enjoyment. It can be as casual as you want and as hardcore as you want. I think they´ve struck a good balance here. At least in these two stages. Also, Chai and Peppermint is a very cute couple and have good chemistry. Breakout stars of 2023?

Maybe you’re thinking of Fallout 76 which I think has already received the nextgen upgrade. All they’ve given for Fallout 4 is the promise of the upgrade in 2023z

https://www.eurogamer.net/fallout-4-gets-surprise-free-ps5-xbox-series-xs-and-pc-update-next-year

I’ve been holding back on getting into something new, figuring we may get a game pass drop tomorrow… and worst case AoE2 on Jan 31.
F76 never got a next gen upgrade. Really pathetic on Bethesdas part considering its a live service game they're still actively been developing content for.

Jaybe

Gold Member
F76 never got a next gen upgrade. Really pathetic on Bethesdas part considering its a live service game they're still actively been developing content for.
Wow thanks I hadn’t realized. Odd on their part. I mean I’m more interested in FO4 getting one but I would have thought the game with millions of active players and content would be first in line.

Metroid Prime in Primehack with HD textures and Oh my effing G that feels so great after playing lots and lots of PS4/5 and Next-Gen titles in general. It feels like old games had soul, whereas new games are just made to print money. I'm close to finishing it, just grabbed the phazon suit and Ithink there's not too many hours left. It's great atmosphere, great gameplay, awesome soundtrack, on Dolphin with primehack and HD textures even the graphics are amazing, not just like I nostalgically remembered it but even better. I love this game, but I've never finished it although owning it in 3 different versions (GCN, Trilogy EU and Trilogy US). Think I'll stick with older games for the next few weeks,I'm just tired and exhausted from all the grinding modern games require.

Wow thanks I hadn’t realized. Odd on their part. I mean I’m more interested in FO4 getting one but I would have thought the game with millions of active players and content would be first in line.
Yeah it's really frustrating. It does have fps boost on xbox though but only if you play at 1080p

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I started playing Xenoblade 3 on the Switch and...I just don't get this game. I put it on the hardest version and it feels like no matter the strategy you put in place, what skills and items you switch around, the bosses are designed to beat you until you significantly out level it.

The AI is so dumb, is there a way to switch to other characters? Like my healer will overheal, pull hate from the boss, and will continue to heal, instead of allowing the tank to get hate back. The tank doing his +hate moves seem so random. The if a teammate goes down, I can't seem to pick them up. But if the Tank or the Healer goes down, they pick each other up. Am I missing something?

mrmustard

Banned
Wanted to give Powerwash Simulator Simulator a short try yesterday and then head over to Hi-Fi Rush. Well 3 hours later it was 12 AM, guess i have to test Hi-Fi Rush today.

Elden Ring for me. Have to admit, I wasn’t enjoying it at first. Died about a hundred times and inadvertently ended up in quite a high level dungeon.

But I’ve stuck with it, got myself a new staff and now I’m in with it! I’m starting to see where all the hype is now.

This will keep me busy and then perhaps Hogwarts next?

Andyliini

Shenmue II currently. Finally decided to see what these games are all about, and I can't really see why these were so high regarded. I can understand that the visuals were unprecedented for 1999, but the gameplay itself is very janky, and the story is pretty basic. Voice acting (especially English) is also terrible.

I'll play these games through, but I don't think I have any reason to revisit these ever again after this.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Still on Chapter 3 (Disk 3) in Legend of Dragoon

About 33 hours in.

Characters around level 26 - 27

Stardust Found: 45 out of 50

At the beginning of Kashua Glacier. To get through to Flanvel Tower. The Crystal Palace Queen was kidnapped by Lloyd since he wants the Moon Mirror

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
Finished Toki Tori 2 and playing FAR: Lone sails currently, which a very short experience but enjoyable so far.

Last edited:

oliverp

Neo Member
Right so after having beat Resident 2 twice Iam currently playing and enjoying Uncharted 4. After that I think I might return to the RE franchise again hehe.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Got to Chapter 4 (Disk 4) in Legend of Dragoon. I'm on the final chapter

About 36 hours in.

Characters around level 29 - 30

Stardust Found: 46 out of 50

Found out that Emporer Diaz is Dart father, Shana is the Avatar of the God of Destruction, and Rose is The Black Monster. Talk about triple whammy. I'm at the beginning of Disk 4, at the location Death Frontier

GeekyDad

season 4 netflix GIF by Fuller House

c34R5Lc.jpg

Yumi

I started playing Xenoblade 3 on the Switch and...I just don't get this game. I put it on the hardest version and it feels like no matter the strategy you put in place, what skills and items you switch around, the bosses are designed to beat you until you significantly out level it.

The AI is so dumb, is there a way to switch to other characters? Like my healer will overheal, pull hate from the boss, and will continue to heal, instead of allowing the tank to get hate back. The tank doing his +hate moves seem so random. The if a teammate goes down, I can't seem to pick them up. But if the Tank or the Healer goes down, they pick each other up. Am I missing something?
Haven’t played it on hard because the normal battles take long enough on normal. There are some bosses I found as road blocks though, would like to know which one you are on.

I found playing the healer role easiest because of the AI, but I also like playing healing classes. I sometimes would have three healers in the party for hard fights. Having all your characters play a role they are level 10 in helps.

Accessories and gems that reduce agro for healing and increase agro for tanks is are more important than stat increases. Also, customizing your skills on tanks to have only agro inflicting skills. The skill shadow eye is great for healers if they are getting aggroed.

When you are allowed to revisit the early game area you start in, there are two classes you can unlock up there. One of them a really good healer that helped me with a certain boss.

Hope any of this helps. Haven’t beaten it but getting close.

stn

On the last mission of Greedfall (XSX), going to beat it tonight. Then I'll start the three DLC's in Stranger of Paradise: FF Origin (PS4).

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Haven’t played it on hard because the normal battles take long enough on normal. There are some bosses I found as road blocks though, would like to know which one you are on.

I found playing the healer role easiest because of the AI, but I also like playing healing classes. I sometimes would have three healers in the party for hard fights. Having all your characters play a role they are level 10 in helps.

Accessories and gems that reduce agro for healing and increase agro for tanks is are more important than stat increases. Also, customizing your skills on tanks to have only agro inflicting skills. The skill shadow eye is great for healers if they are getting aggroed.

When you are allowed to revisit the early game area you start in, there are two classes you can unlock up there. One of them a really good healer that helped me with a certain boss.

Hope any of this helps. Haven’t beaten it but getting close.
I didn't know you could change characters. How do you do this? If I could do this I think it would be doable. They won't let me go back to camp yet so I guess I gotta beat this guy first. I usually tank in MMO's, but I also play all other roles and can do them pretty proficiently.

I'm pretty early on I think. There's a boss that these other enemies are helping you with. So it's like you 3 and another 3 NPCs that you fight right before he comes out. Something about getting a stone, kinda looks like a dragon egg or something. My Switch is dead right now, otherwise I'd just turn it on and tell you his name.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

7th track on HiFi Rush. The difficulty has been ramping up considerably and the game throws constant surprises at you. Progression in this game is so well done. It feels fresh almost every time. The mechanics are pretty deep once you´ve unlocked a couple of combos and especially parrying is a lot of fun. The story is hilarious too, showing off the crazy corporate culture at Vanderlay technologies, where you get to meet all the different oddball employees. I have been laughing out loud several times. Zango´s mismanagement with his funding is probably my favorite segment so far (maybe the story is a dig at MS 😛 ). Anyway, having a blast with this game.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I got to really far in Legend of Dragoon. I'm in the final section.

About 48 hours in.

Characters around level 35 - 36

Stardust Found: 50 out of 50
I reached the area of no return which is the Divine Tree. I saved Lavitz Soul and he helped get me to the Divine Tree. The game had an infuriating part in the Mayfier Dungeon. That is walking on the invisible tiles and making sure you don't fall off since falling off means having to start from the very beginning. I only messed up 2 times though. This game throws some hard stuff at you at times lol

I'm Thinking this game might take me around 55 to 60 hours to beat

Yumi

I didn't know you could change characters. How do you do this? If I could do this I think it would be doable. They won't let me go back to camp yet so I guess I gotta beat this guy first. I usually tank in MMO's, but I also play all other roles and can do them pretty proficiently.

I'm pretty early on I think. There's a boss that these other enemies are helping you with. So it's like you 3 and another 3 NPCs that you fight right before he comes out. Something about getting a stone, kinda looks like a dragon egg or something. My Switch is dead right now, otherwise I'd just turn it on and tell you his name.
Gotcha. You’re really early in, don’t think you can switch members yet. Don’t know how much experience you have with Xenoblade games, but they ease players into theeir combat systems, to a detriment I’d say. If your someone who wants to sink your teeth into the combat mechanics it can be pretty frustrating.

For now I’d just focus on the positioning based skills at your disposal. Maybe even just set it to easy for that boss. After him the battle system opens up a bit more.

The good news is, before long you will be able to customize and focus on a gameplay style that you enjoy. I like playing the tank and heart class most in XC3.

Hope you stick with it. It opens up, but it takes a while.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Gotcha. You’re really early in, don’t think you can switch members yet. Don’t know how much experience you have with Xenoblade games, but they ease players into theeir combat systems, to a detriment I’d say. If your someone who wants to sink your teeth into the combat mechanics it can be pretty frustrating.

For now I’d just focus on the positioning based skills at your disposal. Maybe even just set it to easy for that boss. After him the battle system opens up a bit more.

The good news is, before long you will be able to customize and focus on a gameplay style that you enjoy. I like playing the tank and heart class most in XC3.

Hope you stick with it. It opens up, but it takes a while.
Thanks man. Yea this is my first Xenoblade I bought it to play while on a long plane flight. This boss made me think the game was poorly designed or something. Like I shouldn't have little to no chance of beating a boss if I'm above its level and the fact that as the DPS I can't res my teammates if they go down. Like I'm doing everything I can think of. Trying temporary retreats when the tank gets low to give the healer time to heal, then she pulls off one of her other abilities when the tank is damn near dead, so frustrating. I will put it back to normal difficulty for this one boss, until I get the full utility of the party, then I'm bumping it back up to hard.

I've been playing Shining Force III (Scenario 1, plan to play all of them) on the Sega Saturn thanks to another user who described his experience in this very thread and motivated me to finally give it a go.

First impressions? Let's start with the graphics. Neither its aesthetics/artstyle nor its technical graphics look good for the time period, let alone today. They're .. something. Maybe they're an acquired taste, i dunno. The portraits look very nice at least. A good cohesive artstyle (like Panzer Dragoon, for example) would have helped.

The gameplay - absolutely fantastic, this is why you play it. It's fast, deceitfully simple to get into with layers of mechanics that you organically learn as you progress, with some really good map design that's visually interesting to see and mechanically stimulating to delve into.

The story - the second best reason why you play it. It's a really thick, narrative heavy game filled with political intrigue, twists and interesting plot points that just keeps on going.

Overall, completely hooked. Probably gonna end up as one of my favorite games i played all year.

Labolas

Finished Spark the Electric Jester 3. Holy shit, that story. Did not expect the game to go in that direction. Not only that the gameplay is pretty much top tier and fun. At one point you fight in a mech which is awesome. The level design is pretty open and let's you explore and let's you do shortcuts as well. Can't say enough good things about this game. 9/10
27538899BD28733D51D5350F2D640B415ED5058B

Mr Hyde

At the 9th track now in HiFi Rush. It holds my attention so far, but it has begun to be a bit annoying. Tango are throwing everything they got right now during the fighting. I think they are going overboard with the QTEs and rhytmic nature of the game. You gotta deal with multiple enemies, each with their own weakness, putting out fires, parry, combo, push the right button at the right time, grappling and evading fucking electrical panels. It´s downright ridiculous to memorize it all. Sure, when it´s working everything feels like a dance, but you constantly get interrupt with your rhytm because multiple enemies keep attacking you. I don´t know how many times I´ve to cancel one of my attacks just to evade or parry another enemy. And those flying bird robots are so fucking annoying. Arggh. Pisses me off.

Certinty

Just got half way through Evil West and I think I’ll drop it. Combat is great but the rest of the game is far too repetitive and bland. Had fun with the hours I put into it though.

Will continue with Hi-Fi Rush now I think.

Shifty1897

I finished Tactics Ogre so I moved on to my giant backlog with Death Stranding Director's Cut. Two hours in and I fucking hate this game.

You're just an Amazon delivery guy without a car and in between deliveries you watch twenty minute long cutscenes where Norman Reedus refers to made up lore acronyms you're expected to somehow know and about whether or not the American dream is dead in this weird setting where the world of the living and the dead have merged.

I'm no stranger to Kojima but at least in the cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid you were a badass super spy attempting to stop a nuclear war. And in between the cutscenes was fun gameplay. Yeesh.

Juza

Darksiders: Warmastered Edition

https://assets-prd.ignimgs.com/2021/12/30/darksiders-1-warmastered-edition-button-v1-1640892798581.jpg?width=300&crop=1%3A1%2Csmart&dpr=2

I'm having tons of fun with it... what a lovely game!

I played it once when it came out back then, but I forgot almost everything about it, and since I own Darksiders 3 and Genesis that I haven't played them yet, I decided to start a marathon Darksiders 1> Darksiders 2 > Darksiders 3 > Darksiders Genesis.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just resubbed to ff14 for a month but the content that I want to do is apparently dead right now. Oof.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished Tactics Ogre so I moved on to my giant backlog with Death Stranding Director's Cut. Two hours in and I fucking hate this game.

You're just an Amazon delivery guy without a car and in between deliveries you watch twenty minute long cutscenes where Norman Reedus refers to made up lore acronyms you're expected to somehow know and about whether or not the American dream is dead in this weird setting where the world of the living and the dead have merged.

I'm no stranger to Kojima but at least in the cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid you were a badass super spy attempting to stop a nuclear war. And in between the cutscenes was fun gameplay. Yeesh.
Did you play through the entire Palace of the Dead?

Dead Space and FE Engage have been my go-to’s. Half way through both atm.

Is Hi-Fi as good as everyone is saying? I have a feeling like I’ll pick it up when everyone has dropped it. I’m thinking of getting it for my Steam Deck. So much praise it’s received here.

Top Bottom