• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game genre/s are you not a fan off anymore?

New adventure and cinematic games. I have limited time and have a hard time justifying fumbling around for hours trying to find the next interaction or watching cutscenes. I do enjoy watching others play through them with intimate knowledge of where everything is at 1.5X speed.

Last edited:

adamosmaki

I will also say fps although i do enjoy the occasional survival game like sons of the forest but the traditional fps the dooms battlefields etc not a fan anymore ( maybe because the genre has gone downhill since Doom 2016)

KXVXII9X

Open world games and forced RPG mechanics in non-RPG games. Enough already!

I'm also not as interested in games trying to look as photorealistic as possible anymore.

And if I never had to see another Roguelike or Soulslike I wouldn't mind one bit :messenger_winking_tongue:

Loved loved loved fighting games as a kid, but can’t stand them anymore.

I guess what drew them to me mostly back then was the violence. I’m all over that fetish now..

YukiOnna

I guess rts and strategy type games. It has nothing to do with time, I just noticed I don't have the patience to sit through it and sift through those kinds of menus and stats. And somewhere along the way I lost my games only urban planning skill and can't build anything without it being random and crap.

JMZ555

I use to play Pro evolution soccer and then FIFA all the time growing up. Stopped playing football games years ago, love football still but the genre just feels stale and hasn't changed enough.
Need a new company to come in and really mix it up.

Topher

Gold Member
Fighting, sports, racing

Well....was never really a fighting game fan, but sports and racing used to be a hell of a lot more fun until they became so realistic. Give me Burnout and Tecmo over the current crop of games any day.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
JRPGs were for the longest time my favorite genre but nowadays I either never pick one up or bounce off within 10 hours tops.

Most are uninspired , dull, poorly written , ugly , etc etc.

I think the biggest exception is Like a Dragon. Showed me the genre can still be good but it has to spice things up.

Damigos

I used to like but not anymore :
Huge open worlds (WoW is exception)
Fighting games

I always hated gotcha free to play micro dlc gamble hell sh*t

I loved but they died :
Strategy games like Red Alert or Starcraft,
NEW Dotas. We are all tired of L o L

MagnesD3

I've fallen off with FPS's for the most part, last FPS I bought was Prodeus (great game btw). I used to play Halo and COD constantly but at some point I just got tired of it.
Agreed, I used to love shooters but most are pretty damn mediocre. Halo, Deus Ex, Resistance Fall of Man and Bioshock are some of my favorite games ever. Ive heard Doom is one worth checking out tho. I think the issue is the audience that shooters usually try to reach are pretty mainstream.

Last edited:
Fighting games. As an adult, I don't have the luxury of having friends over to play locally anymore, and playing online feels so hollow and unfulfilling. When I was a kid, fighters were great with couch battles and free time.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
8 and 16 bit art style.
JRPG's in general
Any game that starts with a long cut scene 'In the beginning, this that and the other thing happened'.
Cut scenes in general. Stop taking the controls away from me.
Serious Drama in story. , GRRRR, Dark, Anger, Revenge, Sadness, Grief.
Loading Screens.

blue velvet

JRPGs I can't stand the poor writing and the endless grind anymore.
FPS mostly because I get dizzy when playing in first person, I still love games like Dishonored and Deus Ex games.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Hentai games, now that Steam is giving my kind the freedom to lurk in the shadows. Freaking out peers is part of the kink.

I haven't bought a fighting game at full price since Smash Ultimate. I'm tired of fighting games releasing without campaigns or single player incentives. I understand that the genre has mostly moved on to competitive sport, but it is a bit sad to see for players like myself who want something more from the genre. Maybe I will buy SF6 once Ultra SF6 comes out in 5 years.

bender

What time is it?
First Person Shooters as well. I tried a bunch of the boomer shooters that came out and the only one that grabbed me was Dusk. Prior to that, I really enjoyed Titanfall 2's campaign.

Rockondevil

FPS - I still somewhat like them but I get owned in MP these days so I get bored easily.
RTS - I don't really have a reason I just don't enjoy them like I did when I was younger.

Fess

Sim racing. Used to have a triple screen setup. Now I have one single regular 27” 16:9 screen, just not worth it anymore.

poodaddy

Anything that's a Ubisoft style check list type open world game. Just so bored of it.

Overly cinematic games that spend too much time on exposition and what not. Used to love em, absolutely hate em now.

I'm a long time fighting game fan, but I'm getting to be done with em. I still adore the classics, always will, but the new monetization schemes, modern character designs, and just pretty much everything about newer fighting games are just pushing me away from the genre. Think I might finally be done with it.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

im tired of Assasins Creed. same soulless formula and this same template also being reused with their other game that make me tired and loathe of ubisoft game as whole

the game flow, the UI, urgh. see one game and you 'play' everything.

when Ghost of Tsushima first come out im very cautiously wary over the game since there is gameplay part that striking similliar. it almost ruined other game to me too but thankfully that game is nothing like that and has much much soul in it. Ubisoft could learn things or two from Sucker Punch.

Last edited:
Loved loved loved fighting games as a kid, but can’t stand them anymore.
Same for me. I think it's more because they are trying to be too technical now with breakers, reversals, combos, this that and the other. Take me back to the good old days when each fighter had a handful of special moves, high/low punch and kick and we're golden. They're also trying to rip us off with all this DLC fighters and cosmetic crap. Put everything into the game from day one with secret unlockable fighters thanks.

Rhazkul

It's also FPS for me. Too fast, too hectic, too violent, too basic. I started to enjoy thinking when i am gaming and solve puzzles or get immersed in a story/narrative.

Last edited:

Fbh

Cinematic games, though I still play them from time to time.

I just think they've been getting worse as the focus seems to have shifted from cool gameplay setpiece moments to being all about the story.
I like stuff like Uncharted 2 where it feels like you are playing an action movie as they throw you from one cool gameplay setpiece into another. But these days "Cinematic" seems to be more about slow pacing, tons of exposition, walking and talking and constantly interrupting the gameplay with boring, barley interactive story sequences.

Modern cinematic games are like:
"Ok that's enough shooting, now you'll play through a 40 minutes sequence where the main character remembers seeing his parents arguing as he was a baby. During this sequence all you can do is slowly crawl from one room into the other as various scenes of your parents arguing play out. This is really important for the story as it reveals why the main character has problems connecting with his daughter. Please look forward to another 5 sequences like this as you progress through the game".

Deerock71

I've gotten quite weary of the cinematic cutscenes in a AAAA FPS. Prodeus is a perfect example of what an FPS SHOULD be: immediate, visceral, and in-your-face.

Top Bottom