• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game genre/s are you not a fan off anymore?

F31 Leopard

Monster Hunter. After watching all the MH Wilds trailers that recently released I didn't feel any hype for it. I started with the series on PSP. MH is the reason why I have a massive backlog. I was missing out on so much great games focusing too much on MH.

My hours have been declining after MHGU. I have around 500 in World/IB
BpyNSt6.jpeg

Quantum253

Gold Member
I don't know if it's a genre style, but I'm tired of games designed to be streamed or influencer inspired. Although, any game can be streamed, it's the games soley made for the purpose of MTs, stores, skins, etc... Fortnite, Evolve, etc.
Other than that, I hate souls like gameplay and mechanics outside of souls type games. I was highly disappointed when stating Tunic to find it be a soul mechanic game.. along with Star Wars Fallen Order. I absolutely hated that game and getting a Plat trophy tried my patience to the max

KaitoTheElf

Neo Member
Most JRPGs, and action-adventure games kind of bore me as of late.

Nowadays im mainly playing strategy, some SRPGs (especially Fire Emblem, the one J/SRPG franchise I still really like), rhythm games, and roguelites.

Oh, and Monster Hunter, my beloved!

Last edited:

Fess

Turn-based RPG

Used to love that and was one of those annoying guys shouting about how FF7 was ruined with the Remake etc.

Then I played Baldur’s Gate 3. And literally fell asleep during battles. Soooooo slow and boring! Played it for roughly 25 hours and eventually dropped it. Not for me!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Souls games. Elden ring going open world killed it for me. I actually had a blast with Demon souls finishing it like 20 times in a month and a half but i can’t do these big open world souls games.

Tbh, i think it might have been sekiro. I just don’t have the patience to learn and beat a game after it beats me gor hours.

Can’t do ubisoft open world games either. Loved AC origin but haven’t beaten a single ubisoft game since.

hinch7

Turned based RPG's. Don't have the time and patience for them anymore. Can add C-RPG's too.

There are exceptions, but most of these are really long and grindy games that require proper dedication to complete.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Turn-based RPG

Used to love that and was one of those annoying guys shouting about how FF7 was ruined with the Remake etc.

Then I played Baldur’s Gate 3. And literally fell asleep during battles. Soooooo slow and boring! Played it for roughly 25 hours and eventually dropped it. Not for me!
And I fell asleep in the boring open world areas of FF7 rebirth.

sigmaZ

Strategy and simulation games. When I was a kid I absolutely loved those, but now I find them tedious and unengaging.

manfestival

I loved RTS so much before but these days I just dont care to learn a system and then take the time to do the matches.
JRPGs are another for me. Something about these super long intros or early periods of the game that do these big build ups 8 hours in that just dont appeal to me anymore.

Alan Wake

Fighting games. Can't really say why I lost interest in them but I did.

Other than that my taste has changed very little in over 30 years. It's still action/adventure, platform and racing.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Fighting games like tekken/sf etc.
Platforms (i can still play stuff like ratchet or knack where combat is the focus)
Pure action games like dmc or bayo

Borowski_1

Racing
Sports
Strategy
most RPGs
most open-worlds
Fighting games
Card games
Games as services
Multiplayer stuff

Fess

And I fell asleep in the boring open world areas of FF7 rebirth.
Haven’t played that, waiting for the PC version. But BG3 was just about clicking on icons and going through menus, everything was slow, just not for me anymore.

I won’t necessarily say ‘not a fan’ but certain genres need to be looked at a second time for more refinement and as advancements.

I was very pleased to hear the lead behind Battle Aces that him and his team are trying to modernize what an RTS is, focus on the fun, and make it less about clicking the mouse on units hundreds of times.

RTS is among the few genres that have long-deserved a face lift rather than a funeral.

consoul

Fighting games were good back when you could buy the complete game and play it to unlock the full roster and all costumes and stages.

Now you need to take out a personal loan just to see all of a game's content.

Roberts

As long as the game appeals to my taste and interests, the genre doesn't matter. That said, I used to pay way more RTS ( and strategy games in general.)

I'm not too much into fighting games and yet I still play them once in a while for shits and giggles.

Power Pro

Most multiplayer games in general. They're all treated like a fucking job, they want you to either pay through the nose for stuff, or grind. The fun is not just playing a match of something where everyone is on an even playing field. Every one has started taking them so fucking seriously, that there's no joy in just playing a few matches here and there. You have to devote yourself to a single game to get good at it, otherwise you get steamrolled. That's no fun.

Soodanim

Fighting: the focus shifted to DLC rosters and online multiplayer. If I ever want more MK I'll go back to 9. I never really cared for SF despite efforts to enjoy it. Tekken is probably the only one I'd buy as a complete edition, but by the time it rolls around I'm not interested.

Driving: I've never really liked simulation racing games, and even when I had GT3&4 I did my best to power through it all as if it was arcade. I want fun in my racing, not realism.

Count me out for MP, too. I'd be back in for some good co-op PvE, but I'm just not interested in PvP.

It's not so much a genre, but Elex taught me I can no longer get past bad gameplay. I used to be more forgiving, but being younger means less experience, less money, and much more free time. Persevering was a much more viable option. It took me quite a while to get into Witcher 2.

Looking through the thread I've said the same as quite a few people.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I hope you guys mentioning Racing are just talking about realistic simulators like Formula1, Forza, and Gran Turismo. Cuz arcadey racers like Motorstorm, Need for Speed Underground, and Wipeout are fun as heck…

Top Bottom