• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game genre/s are you not a fan off anymore?

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
I was big into platforming before. Now I can barely stand anything with jumping being that Mario or Contra.

Corian33

Sports
Fighting Games (besides Super Smash Bros)
Realistic Racing

I’m not opposed to any of these genres, but I immediately bounce off any games that I try.

For sports games I do find myself drawn to the management games like Football Manager, OOTP, or even Blood Bowl, I think because you get that added flavor of strategy and RPG elements.

SHA

Anymore? that's not true, but what I don't like about studios like level 5 is stepping away from what's made them who they are intentionally, Dark Chronicles should be on their list unless it's Sony's fault and they don't know what they're doing.

Aion002

Gold Member
Atelier and the Ryu Ga Gotoku series.

I loved them, but there was a moment that I simply stopped caring about them.

The Atelier Arland series was great, but on Ayesha I started losing interest and I never finished Escha to Logy. I never played another game of the series.

On Ryu Ga Gotoku, after Dead Souls, I just had enough, the Yakuza 5 trailer did nothing for me and I stopped following the series. Later I tried Zero on xcloud and I played like 1 hour and I never touched it again. More recently I also tried on gamepass the Like A Dragon and Gaiden games, I ended up playing like 30 minutes of each and I unninstaled them.

Both series still seems excellent, but they're not for me anymore.

Last edited:

elhav

I don't think it's exactly a genre, but "cinematic experiences" where the gameplay is shallow/bare bones no longer interest me.

When I was younger, I wasn't yet aware how mediocre writing in most videogames really was. Now I know, and most games where the gameplay is just there to fill empty stretches between cutscenes usually stay out of my radar

DryvBy

I've fallen off with FPS's for the most part, last FPS I bought was Prodeus (great game btw). I used to play Halo and COD constantly but at some point I just got tired of it.

They don't make them like they used to, that's the problem. Play Trepang2 asap. You'll thank me later.

RTS. I used to enjoy Starcraft, C&C, etc. as a kid, but I really don't care for them at all. Also not a genre, but Sonic games in general. Don't think I actually ever really liked them much to begin with.

BlackTron

RTS. I used to enjoy Starcraft, C&C, etc. as a kid, but I really don't care for them at all. Also not a genre, but Sonic games in general. Don't think I actually ever really liked them much to begin with.

I like Starcraft II because of how much slicker and easier it is to play than Brood War, despite that it's a less technical and therefore, less interesting game. I will watch classic SC matches, but play 2.

CLW

All Of Them GIF by MOODMAN

nush

VS fighters, it’s just too much now in a single game. Street Fighter V killed my interest. Actually it was probably IV after all the different versions. V just ran away with it.

I haven't played a racing game for more then a decade (I'm 26).

I used to play them religiously, to the point where my cousins would call me to their house (I lived 5 minutes away from them), so I could finish races they were having difficulty with (Mostly Drag and Drift races).

Need for Speed Carbon is still up there as one of my favorite games, and I look back on every Burnout game fondly, but I have zero desire to play them...

I don't know why, there's no reason I can't think of...

Vs fighting

Racers like Forza , I miss the arcade racers like PGR, Blur etc

Sports especially after what Konami did to Pro Evolution Soccer

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
By saying this you’re eliminating most of the games from one of that genre’s strongest generation: PS2/Dreamcast/GC.
You misunderstand. Light anime influences even existed in Super Nintendo JRPGs, but the full-blown diarrhea shoved into every single one full throttle destroyed it for me.

A vast majority of JRPGs now are:
-anime esthetic
-shit graphics
-annoying child character with terrible voice
-tits out chicks guys simp over to white knight in and out of game
-terrible quest designs
-piss poor pacing
-brain dead combat

You know who these culprits are and they are in droves. Even exceptions like final fantasy 16 still suffer from issues above and it isn’t even trying to be anime.

StueyDuck

Anything PvP...

Don't have the time or want to become a Sweatlord and learn metas and essentially play a game on autopilot like the kids today love.

MP just isn't a fun atmosphere anymore

ungalo

Souls-like, i think i'm close to stop playing them entirely

i almost want to say action/adventure but i can still play them, i just dislike the place they've taken in gaming

Last edited:

Fbh

multiplayer shooters.
Played a lot of Unreal Tournament and Halo 1 back in the day, then over the years I went through pretty lengthy periods of playing stuff like Halo 3, Gears of War 1 and 2, Cod, Battlefield, hell I even spent 80% of my time with Destiny 1 on the PVP mode and I was one of the few around here that really enjoyed the new Battlefront 2.

But it has been a pretty long time since any new multiplayer shooter has appealed to me. I'm just not into the genres which are popular now, don't like hero shooters, don't like Battle Royale, don't like extraction shooters, don't like these 1 live round based counter strike modes, etc. The last multiplayer shooter I really liked and got really into was Titanfall 2, but that's pretty dead these days and there is nothing similar on the horizon.

I guess COD is always an option.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Turn based JRPGs. I used to love them but I can’t stand them anymore.

I think the appeal for me was that your characters constantly grew stronger, but nowadays practically every game has some character progression elements.

Plus they superficially felt all sophisticated and “strategic” even though they’re some of the most mindless and repetitive games ever.

Strider7

I’ve almost entirely pulled away from FPS and really anything first person at all. The “feel” of the viewpoint just feels cheap, easy, boring and samey. I’ve gotten completely bored with FPS shooters/multiplayer games. Actually, I don’t really touch multiplayer at all anymore either.

With RARE exceptions, I’m now third person/isometric or bust.

Pejo

I used to love Madden/football games but they've stagnated so much in the past decade, it's not worth buying the new ones now, not that it especially ever was. Everything is funneled into the career modes and the microtransactions, the football is secondary.

NFL renewing their contract with EA pretty much killed my hope for any real progress.

Aenima

Fighting games. I used to play alot, and now i dont even touch them. Mostly because the reason i loved fighting games was to play localy against my friends, and i dont get any joy trying to beat ramdoms that rage quit via internet.

Also driving arcade games. As i grew older i shifted more to enjoy more realistic drivig physics.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Most first person shooters. The last two that I enjoyed were Dusk and Titanfall 2. I've played the genre since its' inception and most titles just feel stale. I used to say turn based RPGs as well but I probably need to broaden that genre as I don't really have a lot of love for aRPGs anymore with all the randomized loot. I think most of my RPG enjoyment these days comes from FromSoftware or classic titles as I'm currently playing Thousand Year Door. If it weren't for Street Fighter, you could also toss Fighting games on my list as the genre has become way too complicated for me.

Last edited:

IAmRei

Not a genre, but i left realistic style games, and tends to like arcadey games more.

I also left AAA games as well. Im bored with cinematic AAA games since years ago.

As for genre, fighting is one ive been tired for.

You misunderstand. Light anime influences even existed in Super Nintendo JRPGs, but the full-blown diarrhea shoved into every single one full throttle destroyed it for me.

A vast majority of JRPGs now are:
-anime esthetic
-shit graphics
-annoying child character with terrible voice
-tits out chicks guys simp over to white knight in and out of game
-terrible quest designs
-piss poor pacing
-brain dead combat
…There are a ton of PS2 JRPGs that match a lot of these descriptors. I don’t misunderstand, you are eliminating most of that generations’ games by saying this. There was a lot of cringe anime stuff in the PS2 gen that people here liked at a younger age, that have now all grown up and don’t want to admit that they used to think this stuff was cool.

Now if you said ‘I don’t like the PS2 JRPGs either’ then that would be fair to say.

Top Bottom