• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game have you played most for no apparent reason?

april6e

I probably played this extremely obscure brawler/hide and seek puzzle game multiple times for 50 hours as a child (the game only takes around 6-8 hours to beat).

sneakers-1000x665w.jpg

Last edited:
10 000+ hours in World of Warcraft, 2005 - 2013.

Originally, I was fascinated with that game and I loved it. I though it would be so cool to hit lvl 60 and start raiding. Then I joined a "hardcore" guild. It was like a job. I should've quit in 2007 or so, but I kept raiding, allowing my love for the game to degrade into a mixed feeling that eventually had turned to pure annoyance. So many years wasted on an activity I've grown to dislike.

Trilobit

Forbidden West is the most I've spent with one game. And it's not more entertaining than some other games I've played, but I guess hiding in bushes and waiting for the right time to pounce or fire the right arrow just does it for me.

Fess

Retro games - there are the odd ones I just go in for a quick play session and never really get tired of, been doing this since the 80s on old school Commodore shoot’em ups and arcade beat’em ups, like IO, Battle Squadron, Silk Worm, Delta, Golden Axe, Final Fight, Dinosaurs and Cadillacs, Raiden, R-Type among others.

This is probably what is most fitting for a mindless fun thread. Can’t get tired of retro gaming.

But for modern games, give me a sandbox and robust tools and mechanics to play around and be creative with and and I can entertain myself forever.

Zelda TOTK, building vehicles and flying machines and stuff.

No Man’s Sky, the ultimate time-sinker, in positive meaning, never get tired of searching for lush planets and building outposts.

Starfield, doing side stuff and building outposts and ships.

Elden Ring, not a creative sandbox but the ultimate open world game, when I finish it I just start over with a new character build, it’s a never ending game, so much content.

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
What's the most recent game you've played for many, many hours?
World of Warcraft Season of Discovery. When i think about it, it's even worse and more pointless than any survival game.
But the last survival game i played was Grounded with ~120h in and i haven't even played since the last update with the ant queens.

Forbidden West is the most I've spent with one game. And it's not more entertaining than some other games I've played, but I guess hiding in bushes and waiting for the right time to pounce or fire the right arrow just does it for me.
This thread's meaning show in your post

I really enjoy putting on some music or a podcast, and play Civ VI as I listen.

nc6ceOo.jpeg
I'm playing Civ 6 also, it's the game for simply playing
Waiting for the next installment next year
What game settings are you starting with usually? Usually I set it to Marathon, map - huge, prince or king difficulty

Cakeboxer

Gold Member
10 000+ hours in World of Warcraft, 2005 - 2013.

Originally, I was fascinated with that game and I loved it. I though it would be so cool to hit lvl 60 and start raiding. Then I joined a "hardcore" guild. It was like a job. I should've quit in 2007 or so, but I kept raiding, allowing my love for the game to degrade into a mixed feeling that eventually had turned to pure annoyance. So many years wasted on an activity I've grown to dislike.
I feel you with the exception that i recently had a relapse with Season of Discovery. Don't even want to know my /played since 2005. Hopefully done for good now.

winjer

Gold Member
I'm playing Civ 6 also, it's the game for simply playing
Waiting for the next installment next year
What game settings are you starting with usually? Usually I set it to Marathon, map - huge, prince or king difficulty

I usually set to king or deity. Normal lenght.

More important, these are the mods I'm using:

nRTEHf5.jpeg

Rzujc15.jpeg

Mayar

Civilization and Factorio, I sat down to play both games without the slightest enthusiasm, as a result, now they are my two favorite games and God forbid anyone starts playing them, if you sit down to play them and you like them, consider the day gone...

winjer

Gold Member
How's modded version compared to the original?

It's much better.
These mods improve the UI, balance and the interface for several actions.
For example, Better Trade Screen makes trading much easier and faster. And Extended Policy Cards makes it much easier to see what each policy will do, without having to calculate everything ourselves.
A few of these mods are just maps, that ad more gameplay.
And it's very easy to install, using the Steam Workshop.

Paasei

Fallout NV with mods. Probably done every single quest the game has to offer over a 1000x by now. Yet I keep returning it from time to time.

Same with Hitman-franchise and RCT2. These games have endless replayability.

Bashtee

Besides obvious answers like WoW:

Victoria 3: I fucking hate that game. Put in over 308 hours. But do you know what I hate even more? Austria. Those motherfuckers intervene in every little conflict.
ECO: I don't know why, but it's a lame version of Minecraft where your actions can influence the environment. Sadly, not to the degree I had hoped for. Just shy of 302 hours.

BlackTron

I think I have the highest hours in StarCraft, Halo, PSO and Smash because each one struck some sort of chord in a different genre. Something about StarCraft gives me a place to discharge all my racing mental energy into so I'll just play custom maps over and over. I'm not progressing or getting anywhere, I just like playing the game.

Smash just feels really great to play like a direct link between the controller and the character. When my friend and I 1v1 it feels like Goku vs Vegeta parrying and everything. It feels unbelievably fluid and just excellent. We like Towerfall for this as well (you can catch arrows and have insanely tense fights until one person makes the tiniest mistake).

PSO is just comfort food at this point and as for Halo...well it's FPS sandbox. The PC demo of CE gave me endless entertainment in Blood Gulch with people dropping in and out all day. I still play Halo but had the most fun before those servers died. That demo was like my main game for 2 years lol (despite owning the game). Pure gaming, playing for nothing but fun itself. No next level, no unlocks, no trophies, nothing.

Danny22

Neo Member
Very specific but Sekiro, playing ultimate isshin mod.

Hearing that CLANG CLANG of swords is destressing and then him saying 'hesitation is defeat' in Japanese is like background noise to me when I just need something to do with my hands.

Sometimes I even win!

Last edited:
I think I have the highest hours in StarCraft, Halo, PSO and Smash because each one struck some sort of chord in a different genre. Something about StarCraft gives me a place to discharge all my racing mental energy into so I'll just play custom maps over and over. I'm not progressing or getting anywhere, I just like playing the game.

Smash just feels really great to play like a direct link between the controller and the character. When my friend and I 1v1 it feels like Goku vs Vegeta parrying and everything. It feels unbelievably fluid and just excellent. We like Towerfall for this as well (you can catch arrows and have insanely tense fights until one person makes the tiniest mistake).

PSO is just comfort food at this point and as for Halo...well it's FPS sandbox. The PC demo of CE gave me endless entertainment in Blood Gulch with people dropping in and out all day. I still play Halo but had the most fun before those servers died. That demo was like my main game for 2 years lol (despite owning the game). Pure gaming, playing for nothing but fun itself. No next level, no unlocks, no trophies, nothing.
Reading that makes me feel that you are truly a gamer

Top Bottom