• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the ultimate mouse for gaming??

Vieo

I use an IBM standard two button with scroll wheel optical mouse. I've heard good things about Microsoft's IntellMouse Explorer (I heard the scroll wheel tilts left and right so you can scroll from side to side), but all of the ones I've seen are wireless (don't know how good wireless is for gaming) and I'd prefer something that I didn't have to buy batteries for.

So, what is the ultimate mouse for gaming? =)

Takosuke

I've got an old Intellimouse Explorer (Model 3) but I think this baby will be mine soon

10946.jpg

wireless wasn't too good for gaming before, but now the technology is flawless.

TECHNOLOGY : Fast RF cordless
SYS REQS : IBM or compatible PC,
Windows 98, 2000, Me or XP,
Available USB or PS2 port, CD-ROM drive
Macintosh system - Mac OS X+,
Available USB port, CD-ROM drive
FEATURES : * MX Laser Engine provides 20 x times the tracking power
of optical
* a built-in lithium-ion battery & rapid-charging base station
* Fast RF cordless delivers cordless performance that equals USB
corded connection
* New thumb-button controls include universal page forward and back
buttons and application switch to quickly move between open windows
* Illuminated 4-level batt indicator precisely monitors batt strength
* Wheel tilts for side-to-side scrolling, zoom with a click of the
wheel
* Cruise Control rocker for speed scrolling up and down
* Deep-sculpted thumb support for incredible comfort,
outside finger grips enhance control
PACKAGE CONTENT : * Logitech MX-1000 Laser cordless mouse
* Recharging base station, * CD-ROM with SetPoint SW
* Installation guide, * PS2 to USB adapter
* 240V AC power adapter

alejob

Vieo said:
I use an IBM standard two button with scroll wheel optical mouse. I've heard good things about Microsoft's IntellMouse Explorer (I heard the scroll wheel tilts left and right so you can scroll from side to side), but all of the ones I've seen are wireless (don't know how good wireless is for gaming) and I'd prefer something that I didn't have to buy batteries for.

So, what is the ultimate mouse for gaming? =)

I saw Screen Savers yesterday, they had a show about building your own gaming PC for 500 bucks, dont know if it was old though.

Anyway they were showing some mice(hehe, mice) and they said that Microsoft's IntellMouse Explorer is not good for gaming because the scroll wheel does not have that click that normal scroll wheels have. I guess you use that to change weapons and stuff on Games(I'm not a PC gamer) and it makes it tough to do that without the click.

They chose a regular logitec mouse as the best.

akascream

Banned
Wirless anything sucks for gaming.. battery indicator or not. Especially for mice (in my experience), because they eat power so fast.

Drexon

Banned
akascream said:
Wirless anything sucks for gaming.. battery indicator or not. Especially for mice (in my experience), because they eat power so fast.

I have the MX700, battery lasts about a week. After that I just put it in the charger, how hard is that? Besides, the way my computer's set up, wires from the keyboard and mouse would make it a whole lot more complicated. But that's not the point, the point is that wireless technology is just as good as wired, and I don't get why people recomend the wired MX mouse over the wireless. :/

Priz

If you want a really comfortable mouse that works quite well, I'd recommend the Razer Boomslang II, due out around September.

It's design is similar to the old Boomslang, but slightly improved and optical.

http://razer.tigga.org/gallery/album08 has some pics from the E3 press kit about it.

I have the 2100 and I love it. I've used a lot of mice and this is still my favorite hands down.

KarishBHR

Takosuke said:
I've got an old Intellimouse Explorer (Model 3) but I think this baby will be mine soon

10946.jpg

wireless wasn't too good for gaming before, but now the technology is flawless.

TECHNOLOGY : Fast RF cordless
SYS REQS : IBM or compatible PC,
Windows 98, 2000, Me or XP,
Available USB or PS2 port, CD-ROM drive
Macintosh system - Mac OS X+,
Available USB port, CD-ROM drive
FEATURES : * MX Laser Engine provides 20 x times the tracking power
of optical
* a built-in lithium-ion battery & rapid-charging base station
* Fast RF cordless delivers cordless performance that equals USB
corded connection
* New thumb-button controls include universal page forward and back
buttons and application switch to quickly move between open windows
* Illuminated 4-level batt indicator precisely monitors batt strength
* Wheel tilts for side-to-side scrolling, zoom with a click of the
wheel
* Cruise Control rocker for speed scrolling up and down
* Deep-sculpted thumb support for incredible comfort,
outside finger grips enhance control
PACKAGE CONTENT : * Logitech MX-1000 Laser cordless mouse
* Recharging base station, * CD-ROM with SetPoint SW
* Installation guide, * PS2 to USB adapter
* 240V AC power adapter

woa... when and how much?

I think a blue MX 510 is in my future, at some point. Right now, I'm still perfectly happy with my first gen MouseMan Wheel optical, whose super sexy metallic blue look will never be duplicated.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
A lot of my friends agree the best is the Intellimouse Explorer. I definitely do not recommend a wireless mouse. I had a wireless optical. Technically, it worked OK, but for FPS' I didn't like the weight of the mouse in my hand. It felt like holding a paperweight with those batteries crammed in there. I'm a high sensitivity mouse guy (play at 20 or higher), so the slightest movement is important to me. That extra weight was slowing me down. I went with the Intellimouse and a Func mousepad and I'm happy. Make sure you get a professional gaming mousepad. That is probably more important than the mouse itself. If you want to go all out, wax the mousepad and throw some skates on the mouse feet for super smooth sailing.

SKluck

Banned
Does anyone actually use the extra buttons some mice have? I always program them to do something, like reload, but I always forget about them and just use the left, right and center buttons.

Ferrio

Banned
When gaming with my intellimouse I use all five (7 actually, left, right, middle, scrollup, scrolldown, mouse4, mouse5).

Top Bottom