• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of computer should I get? From where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my current Alienware computer for 3 years. It's a piece of shit. NEVER order from them. I've gone through 5 hard drives.

I can tell it's starting to die--the screen will freeze for a few minutes at a time, crap like that.

Here's my dilemma--I can get a new computer now, but it will be the computer I have to use until the end of college (I'm currently a HS senior).

Is it worth putting up with a shitty could-stop-working-at-any-moment computer for a year and risk losing valuable stuff, or should I get a new computer now?

And if the latter, what kind should I get? I don't want to build my own. I've heard great things about Dell--can their computers be upgraded (like if I wanted a new HD or graphics card or something at some point)?

Thanks for your help.

Doth Togo

Dells cannot be overclocked. As much as I thought of them before, I won't get another Dell.

Ibuypower.com is a good alternative for computers. Quality components at affordable prices.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Seriously, the best option is to build your own. Best options + best prices, and it's REALLY easy. But otherwise ...

Doth Togo said:
Ibuypower.com is a good alternative for computers. Quality components at affordable prices.

I'd agree. My first computer was an iBuyPower, back in like '96 or so. A great system, it was rock-solid and had great tech support. They even replaced a failed hard-drive a week AFTER the warrenty ran out (2 year warrenty, so the drive did last 2 years), which was highly unusual. I'd recommend.

Slo

Instead of spending $2000 on a new box, build your own for $1000 and save the extra cash for upgrades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom