• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Not to Wear on an Interview (SFGAF)

I have a second round interview next week in San Francisco. For the first interview I wore a navy blazer, dark jeans, a white shirt with small patterned hearts, brown brogues and a matching brown belt. The interview was on a Friday and this office has fairly casual dress on Fridays. The issue I run into for the second round interview is the many warnings against wearing a black suit and my only having black suits left. My current employer has a preference for the clean look of black and I have built my wardrobe around him.

Is black something that should be reserved for funerals and weddings? I know that Cali is far more casual than Texas. Should I venture into a grey or tan?

What are interview no no's regarding dress?

wear a tuxedo. They'll appreciate how you're making fun of the whole formal wear for interviews and give you a job on the spot

Come on y'all, I'm just here for the gig.

N2U1NGNmMzk4ZiMvRVp4NGgwdWRZSER1ZTZKVjFIVVJ6S0tfemowPS8zNHg0Nzg6MjAwNngxNTY4LzE2MDB4OTAwL2ZpbHRlcnM6Zm9ybWF0KGpwZWcpOnF1YWxpdHkoODApL2h0dHBzOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2VzL3Z3bzF4OWliMGRlbXp0eGg5cnV1ZHp6eWJzcWxmZ2Rxem80bHBzc2xkbGlsbWZyczVkZWQ1N2xrZm5hM3N4b2ouanBn.jpg

Oh...this...a little too much?

entremet

Law. I have seen fewer and fewer black suits. My current boss was raised in the Ross Perot school of thought. Blue or black but leaning black primarily.

Black suits are basically dead outside of formal wear or funerals. Strange your employer gave that preference.

But wear what you have. I don't think it would be a big deal as long as you're buttoned up well.

ThisGuy

I always wear a dark blue shirt. I read it tells the interviewer that you're hard working, a representation of blue collar work ethic.

RangerX

Banned
It depends on the job. At Amnesty international people often came into interviews in shorts and a t-shirt and still got the job. In corporate culture you'd have to wear a suit.

Biff

One and done then. I'll go suit shopping today.

lol. Who is TheRedSnift and why do you trust their single opinion for a post you wrote where you gave no details about your profession?

Black suits are 100% acceptable for INTERVIEWS to white-shoe firms. Cut is way more important than colour. Go a little more out there on your tie choice if you are worried it's too formal. Shirt should be white though.

To be honest I find it extremely weird that you wore jeans to your first interview regardless of it being casual Friday in that office. Unless you are already employed and it's understood that you popped out of work mid-day for your interview.

But clearly it didn't matter if you made second round.

Nipo

A black suit is totally fine. A nice black suit is the best thing you can have in your wardrobe.

This advice is true for morticians, secret service agents, and people working in Asia. For most people black does terrible things to their skin tone and has way too strong contrast. Charcoal is a better suit color for the vast majority of people.

lol. Who is TheRedSnift and why do you trust their single opinion for a post you wrote where you gave no details about your profession?

Black suits are 100% acceptable for INTERVIEWS to white-shoe firms. Cut is way more important than colour. Go a little more out there on your tie choice if you are worried it's too formal. Shirt should be white though.

To be honest I find it extremely weird that you wore jeans to your first interview regardless of it being casual Friday in that office. Unless you are already employed and it's understood that you popped out of work mid-day for your interview.

But clearly it didn't matter if you made second round.
Regarding TheRedSnift: I thought the thread would die quickly and was leaning toward buying a new suit anyway.

Regarding wearing jeans: I was in town looking for housing and popped in mid-morning. I thought it was odd as well, but I asked about the atmosphere of the office and was told to please come in jeans. I was introduced to one of the partners later in the morning. He had on a Northface vest, button-down and jeans. Cali is waaay more casual than I thought.

stn

Given that they accepted you for the second round in jeans, a black suit will be fine. The last time I interviewed for a lawyer's job, I wore a dark grey suit. Navy or grey work really well, just make sure you wear black socks, have clean black shoes, black belt and can make a Windsor tie knot.

Telosfortelos

Advocate for the People
What industry and type of job? This means a lot.

If it's a tech company, forget suits.

It's always fun to see what people will wear to tech interviews. Gaming tech makes it even more fun. I've seen everything from tshirts to suits, but it's most fun when you can tell someone tried to figure out what a reasonable middle might be. Of course it doesn't matter at all.

Gunship

So long as you look smart and clean then black is fine, especially if you feel confident wearing it. Wear a nice tie and pochette to soften it.

Best of luck with the interview.

So long as you look smart and clean then black is fine, especially if you feel confident wearing it. Wear a nice tie and pochette to soften it.

Best of luck with the interview.

Thanks a bunch.

I think I'll run by White House Black Market and try to find a top that pops and if I happen across a suit I can't say no to I'll scoop it.

I don't think you need a suit.

I interviewed with an accounting firm in San Jose and was told explicitly to not wear a suit (Business casual/sports coat)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's always fun to see what people will wear to tech interviews. Gaming tech makes it even more fun. I've seen everything from tshirts to suits, but it's most fun when you can tell someone tried to figure out what a reasonable middle might be. Of course it doesn't matter at all.

I almost literally don't care what a candidate wears but at either extreme shorts and a suit would be flags for social fit.

I have a navy suit I wear to interviews. Definitely not black, would come across to me as someone who doesn't prepare well and wore a funeral suit because that's the only thing they have to wear.

Fuzzery

Hawaiian shirt and flip flops

It's the SF after all, gotta fit in

Edit: Congrats, now wear the above to work every day

hobozero

I remember reading an article recently about SF tech job interviews - where the interviewers would insist on taking the meeting to a bar for drinks, and the interviewee was expected to show up with "snacks" - preferably from a suitably hipster-ish, obscure, or unknown source. Sounded like a frickin' nightmare. Wish I could find the article.

Good luck on your interview, op!

Syriel

I got the job! In a blue suit! I was told I over dressed! Aw! Yiss! Imma be all up in you San Fran!

1) Congrats!
2) Buy some pairs of nice black jeans so you fit in.

I remember reading an article recently about SF tech job interviews - where the interviewers would insist on taking the meeting to a bar for drinks, and the interviewee was expected to show up with "snacks" - preferably from a suitably hipster-ish, obscure, or unknown source. Sounded like a frickin' nightmare. Wish I could find the article.

Good luck on your interview, op!

That is NOT normal, by any means.

Top Bottom