• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What PC monitor is John Carmack using?

FriScho

I grabbed this from the TV Show about the history of Doom:
carmacksmonitor.jpg

That's the monitor I also wanna have. 16:9, CRT, BIG... good for everything (progressive DVD, PC and console games, HDTV...). Any idea what model that is?

EDIT: I suddenly found it. It's an old InterGraph 28 INCH High-Definition Monitor Silicon InterView 28hd9. InterGraph is no more. So the only way to get one, is to buy a used one... :-(

Sai

So there aren't any similar monitors from different manufactuers?

I'd love to have something like that... If it's at a reasonable price, anyways.

Thaedolus

Lukas said:
john is probably the least nerdiest looking game dev i have seen when he takes his glasses off

he looks like he got a makeover or something. He used to have long hair and definitely was very nerdy looking. Now he just sounds nerdy when he speaks.

FriScho

TFT/LCD sucks for gaming (even the fastest 15ms panels are too slow refreshing)
But 16:9 CRT seem to be dead. Or is there any company still producing them?

FriScho

Vieo said:
You want a big ass CRT?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-091&depa=0

I bought the 19" inch version. I was thinking of going a size larger before I bought it because my monitor before that was a 13" incher, but after seeing how the 19' inch one weighs a TON and nearly takes up my entire desktop, I'm glad I didn't go larger. I'm ever to buy a larger display, I'll either have to buy an LCD or buy a larger and stronger desk. =(

I have a 19" CRT for some years now and it's too small and not 16:9. If I do not find a 16:9 CRT I will get some 4:3 CRT at 24" or so. I don't like the fixed resolution of TFTs (all other resolutions beside the one they are build for look crappy), the smearing of the slow refreshing (most are 20+ ms and even 15 ms is much slower and looks bad in fast motion) and the way black is displayed. It always has some greyish-look. So I definitly want a CRT until OLED or something else i available.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
FriScho said:
I have a 19" CRT for some years now and it's too small and not 16:9. If I do not find a 16:9 CRT I will get some 4:3 CRT at 24" or so. I don't like the fixed resolution of TFTs (all other resolutions beside the one they are build for look crappy), the smearing of the slow refreshing (most are 20+ ms and even 15 ms is much slower and looks bad in fast motion) and the way black is displayed. It always has some greyish-look. So I definitly want a CRT until OLED or something else i available.

Some info for ya :)

Black is not black beacuse the way a LCD works.
In a CRT, black is the absence of light, hence nearly true black
while, in a LCD, Black is blocking light, hence makes it impossible to get true black

Its one of the primary limitations of LCD technology right now.
If the issue can be delt with will be found out in due time, as of now LCD works great to save space.

FriScho

Suikoguy said:
Some info for ya :)
Black is not black beacuse the way a LCD works.
In a CRT, black is the absence of light, hence nearly true black
while, in a LCD, Black is blocking light, hence makes it impossible to get true black
Its one of the primary limitations of LCD technology right now.
If the issue can be delt with will be found out in due time, as of now LCD works great to save space.

I know all that. And that's why I don't like LCD/TFT. I have enough space, so I could care less about how deep the display is.

I only care about the contrast, black-level, refreshing, multi-res-qualitys and other stuff that is clearly better with CRTs. But CRTs have much lower profit-margins, that's why companys want to get rid of them.

Maybe with LED based displays there will be a true alternative to CRT for me. LCD and TFT don't do the trick for my needs. And high contrast also changes the "speed" of the LCDs - a 15ms LCD can easily turned into a 25ms just by adjusting the contrast level. I notice (and don't like) the smearing of 20ms displays if you do fast turns in games (like you do all the time in first person shooters) and scrolling (like you do all the time in realtime strategy games).

OLEDs do not have all theses problems, but the lifetime of OLEDs are too short right now. About 10000 hours - that's 416 days (24hours/day). Way shorter than a CRT. If they can double the lifetime, they could become the real CRT killers. Until then: CRT

Top Bottom