• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Street Fighter: 3rd Strike character should I learn next?

ourumov

3rd Strike Exclusive ?
If so my vote goes for Remy... Otherwise, I would say Yang. He is very cool and has tons of possibilities.

Ferrio

Banned
ourumov said:
3rd Strike Exclusive ?
If so my vote goes for Remy... Otherways, I would say Yang. He is very cool and has tons of possibilities.

No, as in ANY 3rd strike character.

sasimirobot

I like Oro myself.

Good cornering with booger/fireball (straight, 30degree, 45degree) change it up and mix in uppercuts to keep them guessing.

A good combo is jump in Fierce, Standing Strong (air juggle), jumping Fierce. Then add in a well timed booger or low sweep, or head stomp right when the try to stand, or if you have the energy a "Yagyou-Dama - Super ball"

I like how Oro charges his fireball an uppercut, you can charge both at the same time by holding down+back(diagonal back/down). Use this to confuse your opponent as to what you are gonna do.
I rarely use the Fierce Uppercut, it leaves you open to long.

I have been trying to counter block into body slam (forward to block, from forward to half circle down back+punch). Not sure if it works well or not, I havent played in a while.

ourumov

His super arts on 3rd Strike are a bit cheap...IMO it unbalances the game...Just like the Sin Shoryuken did on W Impact.
But I agree he is a great character to master.

Ferrio

Banned
ourumov said:
His super arts on 3rd Strike are a bit cheap...IMO it unbalances the game...Just like the Sin Shoryuken did on W Impact.
But I agree he is a great character to master.

Oro...:\

sasimirobot

Oro is not half as cheap and cheesy as Akuma though. When I beat a pretty well ranked (in Los Angeles anyways) Akuma he said I was a "turtle". Sore loser, yeah like mid air fireballs easy to be agressive against...

hiryu

Urien, he can do some disgusting things to your opponent. There are some great videos out there of Urien giving beatdowns to people to prove my point. Plus, he's a charge character so that should be a nice difference to your other character. If not Urien then go with Alex.

Ferrio

Banned
JC10001 said:
Chun Li, since she's the best character in the game.

Now, I'll avoid her... she's just too damn strong. Not like I don't know how to play as her.

Urien, he can do some disgusting things to your opponent. There are some great videos out there of Urien giving beatdowns to people to prove my point. Plus, he's a charge character so that should be a nice difference to your other character. If not Urien then go with Alex.

Urien is definatly a good candiate.... though I never could get his juggles to last very long.

Akuma. Although, I've been an Akuma whore since Street Fighter: The Movie. And no, I don't abuse fireballs.

Too weak, I'd rather go with Ken......

rastex

Banned
I've seen a ridiculously good Alex before, just once in real life. It was very impressive though, so you should check him out since not many people play him.

XS+

Banned
Learn SAIII Ryu and play fun Stun games on your foe all day long.

If not him, then 'standing 720' SAI Hugo (standing 720s hurt my wrist though).

XS+

Banned
Speaking of Dudley, anyone else like to HCF+P into a Super Art? While the foe isn't paying attention, you do a dash and BAM Super Art in your opponent's face. The dash isn't as cool in 3S as it was in past games (can't duck fireballs in 3S but you can in NG and 2I), but it's a neat surprise. Dunno how useful that is in hi-level play tho.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
<------ my boy...

Or just learn to mess people up with Elena (though she is weak) or Alex (all hail 360 - 720's :p)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
XS+ said:
Why not? Nearly everyone in the game has a great anti-air. Shoto's are at their weakest and most balanced in SFIII.

I agree... I don't see any cheap characters in SFIII personally.

Learn Ibuki, Ferrio.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
XS+ said:
Speaking of Dudley, anyone else like to HCF+P into a Super Art? While the foe isn't paying attention, you do a dash and BAM Super Art in your opponent's face. The dash isn't as cool in 3S as it was in past games (can't duck fireballs in 3S but you can in NG and 2I), but it's a neat surprise. Dunno how useful that is in hi-level play tho.

hell yes.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
XS+ said:
Why not? Nearly everyone in the game has a great anti-air. Shoto's are at their weakest and most balanced in SFIII.

Shotos= Boring. :p Learn someone new. :) The only recent game I've used them in is SFA3, because it's fun to come up with V-Combos for them. I do use Akuma sometimes in 3rd Strike, but only against Leguna, because it's fun to beat the self-proclaimed "Street Fighter master" doing nothing but standing hurricane kicks and some air fireballs. :D

SF3 is my weakest fighting game though, and I've started playing again to get ready for the Xbox release. I like to use Hugo and Urien; also started using Chun-Li, but she's just so damn powerful that sometimes it doesn't even seem fair.

XS+

Banned
An effective SAIII Ryu is a very unorthodox Shoto style to me (especially with his SF3-exclusive HCF+K ). But yeah you can only play Shoto-style for so many years before getting tired of it.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
XS+ said:
An effective SAIII Ryu is a very unorthodox Shoto style to me (especially with his SF3-exclusive HCF+K ). But yeah you can only play Shoto-style for so many years before getting tired of it.

Hell yes. Specially when you combo an EX HCF+K from a jump in combo ino an EX Air Hurrican Kick. Big damage that looks so funky.

Ferrio

Banned
XS+ said:

Ken is so overpowered.

And screw Ryu SAIII... worthless super.

Sai

I was going to suggest Dudley as well. I approve your decision! :D

LK, MK, MP, FP...

LP, MP, MK... Wasn't there a fourth hit to this combo? It's been a while, I've forgotten.

Dudley's a great character. You should learn Urien afterwards.

[EDIT] - You can chain a Jab or Strong Machine Gun Blow(HCF+P) into that second combo I listed.

Ferrio

Banned
Sai said:
I was going to suggest Dudley as well. I approve your decision! :D

LK, MK, MP, FP...

LP, MP, MK... Wasn't there a fourth hit to this combo? It's been a while, I've forgotten.

Dudley's a great character. You should learn Urien afterwards.

[EDIT] - You can chain a Jab or Strong Machine Gun Blow(HCF+P) into that second combo I listed.

Ya simple chain combos.

As for Urien I shy away since I can't get his Aegis Reflector juggles/pressure down very good..

XS+

Banned
Don't forget Dud's powerful fwd+MK, MK, FP (look at the counter in the home version's Training Mode, it's his most damaging chain combo)

Ryu

Dudley is a fucking wrecking ball in this game. His SAIII gives you three levels of pain that charge up REALLY fast since basically no moves of Dudley's are wasted (EG: A fireball totaly being parried or being lept over) plus all of his moves do chip damage in excessive amounts which is also a big plus for people who enjoy blocking rather then execessive parrying. He also has a really great recovery time for just about every move and his cross counter is super deadly against jumpers even though it does take a bit of your health to take tremendously from theirs.

Above all else though, perhaps my favorite attribute, if used properly, he has the speed of Ken and the strength of Ryu. You have to love that in any shape or form. Oh, one other thing: for added hilarity, throw in a taunt every now and then. It does chip damage and is a projectile that knocks opponents out of the air. It's REALLY annoying to people, but it doesn't really do any damage, but it does indeed fill your super meter just a bit to make it totaly worth it. :)

robox

ginei jin

then you can pretend you have your own little cheering section that goes "Hey!" on every juggle.

Ferrio

Banned
Well been playing dudley, but unfortunately I can't do any of his more flashy combos. Seems its really really hard to do on the DC do to some changes in the animation from the arcade.

But do have his basics and his simple c.hk (EX machine gun), duck under upper, corkscrewblow

Ferrio

Banned
Weird, I've never been terribly great at Parrying. But while practicing against the computer through Arcade mode with Dudely, I parried Ibuki's full SAI .......I have no idea how I did that.

Top Bottom