• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what webcam offers the most bang for the buck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

i recently moved and im looking to get some videochat going with my friends back in new york but first i need a webcam. i think the most i'd spend is around $75 and im not really sure what to look for (spec wise) when picking a camera. i want the image on their end to be good quality and the less choppiness the better.

or how about a digital camera that can double up as a webcam?

Joe

can all digital cameras be used as a webcam? if so i might dish out the extra money and kill two birds with one stone.

if not all digicams offer that option, what should i look for when researching/pricing?

hgplayer1

I think if you have a camcorder that will hook into a video capture card you could use that and it would most likely give you the best quality but you might want to make sure whatever app youll be using supports that type of set up. to me it seems like most web cams give pretty much the same quality video but if you have good lighting that can be a good thing.

Joe

yeah i completely forgot about the eyetoy, hows the quality on that?

that logitech is a little pricey for just a webcam imo.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
Not all digital cameras double as webcams. In fact, I think most don't - although my friend's Fuji does..

I have a cheap Logitech Messenger which was ~$40cdn and it does the job. Nothing spectacular, but good enough. I think the choppiness is more dependent on your connection than anything.

Mason

If you have a digital camcorder, you can download a free program called Splitcam that converts the signal coming in to one usable for a webcam. The quality is better than any webcam you can find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom