• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What will sell more Half-Life 2 or Halo 2?

Over the last couple of months I keep on hearing how KillZone, etc, etc will be the Halo killer which in turn implies that it is the top-dog in the FPS genre, but I think many people are dismissing Half-Life 2 because it is on the PC which is quite unfair in my opinion since it is one of if the best selling FPS in the world. (I wonder who will be the first person to say the XBOX = PC ;))

All these other things aside what do you think in the end of the day will sell more Half-Life 2 or Halo 2?

If I was a betting man I would say that Half-Life 2 would have the edge thanks to CounterStrike which is still the most played multiplayer game in the world (???)

Lets try to keep this thread civil. ;)

Halo 2 short-term, Half-Life 2 long term.

The original Half-Life has longer legs because of the modding community. I think that's largely why the first sold so well, because of mods like Counter-Strike.

MrPing1000 said:
If Valve release it on steam before the high street I wonder how many people will buy it twice

Why would one need to buy it twice if they already have their HL2 CD-KEY “attached” to their Steam account?

The way I understand it is that you can re-download the game as long as your CD-KEY is still working and has not been blocked.

element

depends if steam really sets off.

if Source based MODS require HL2, then HL2 will sell more.
if Source based MODS don't require HL2, then Halo 2.

imagine how many copies HL would have sold if it didn't have the MOD support.

HalfPastNoon said:
Why would one need to buy it twice if they already have their HL2 CD-KEY “attached” to their Steam account?

The way I understand it is that you can re-download the game as long as your CD-KEY is still working and has not been blocked.

many people will want a hard copy but wont b able to resist the temptation to buy it off steam. Might see a lot of discount cd keys on ebay once its out

element said:
depends if steam really sets off.

if Source based MODS require HL2, then HL2 will sell more.
if Source based MODS don't require HL2, then Halo 2.

imagine how many copies HL would have sold if it didn't have the MOD support.

you'll definately need HL2 for HL2 mods, will just be the same as last time

Badabing

Time ta STEP IT UP
This year Halo 2 will own Half Life 2, easily. I mean come on, who isn't getting Halo 2?

But Half Life 2 will still sell great when it's first release. Then when Day of Defeat: Source comes out, expect sales to jump way, way up.

MrPing1000 said:
many people will want a hard copy but wont b able to resist the temptation to buy it off steam. Might see a lot of discount cd keys on ebay once its out

Ahh, I get what you're saying now.

I would say a fair amount of people will opt for this option since they can recover most of their money by selling the CD-Key from the hard-copy on Ebay.

I'll be buying the hard copy for sure. :)

Badabing said:
This year Halo 2 will own Half Life 2, easily. I mean come on, who isn't getting Halo 2?

But Half Life 2 will still sell great when it's first release. Then when Day of Defeat: Source comes out, expect sales to jump way, way up.

That was funny.......Halo 2 owning Half life2 funny i tell you.

Top Bottom