• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you pay for a next gen system with real time graphics like this ?

hobbitx

pcostabel said:
I'll pay $1,000 for a console with graphics like these:
moebius_futuristic.jpg

bilal2.jpg

frazetta.jpg

segrel06.jpg

HellboyArt.jpg

If some brave programmer tried to create a new form of high res pseudo 3d graphics similar to the old Doom stuff, we probably could have 2d graphics like that in real-time. I wish they would have keep progressing 2d technology instead of jumping ship to 3d right away.

DCX

DCX
It's not about how much i would pay, it's will we ever get to that point of controlling characters and playing in worlds that detail with a level or physics and AI, not to mention music/voice and graphic effects in real time? When we get there it will be priced around where it should be...never reaching the 3DO launch prices...trust me.

DCX

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Studs Ramrod said:
I wouldn't pay a fucking dime. Why the fuck you want ultra real? Go live life then.

???

Lots of people play games to be able to do things that one can't do in real life.

My personal "best game ever that hasn't been made yet and likely never will be" is a GTA game with every street, building, and interior in the whole world modeled with everything accessible and billions of unique NPCs that never disappear and 100% real physics for everything and the ability for the player to give the main character super powers of his/her choosing. Oh yeah, and everything with graphics as good or better than what's in the first post.

There isn't a price I wouldn't pay for such a game and the hardware that makes it possible.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Won't happen. highest end PC games still have a couple years until that.

Midas

Semjaza Azazel said:
Don't see why considering I've never paid that much in the 15 years I've been playing videogames, even when I could have. Prices go down.

Yeah, that's true. I was thinking more about the launch price.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
teh_pwn said:
Won't happen. highest end PC games still have a couple years until that.

you do know that at the beginning of a console lifetime, a high end PC won't even scrape what the console would be doing?

etiolate

Banned
You know, games look pretty realistic to me as they are now. Grun Turismo 4, Rallisport Challenge make for quite realistic looking games. Ninja Gaiden is another example of that, but I don't really like the way that game looks. Something about it is ..too clean.

How much more real do we really need? And by taking it higher and higher does it necessarily make it better? Do we end up with real or do we end up with sterile?

Sometimes I think this realistic graphics pursuit is just another sign of many people's insecurities from playing videogames.

Docpan

$299, plus tax.

EDIT: Holy shit, I didn't even see the above post when I added mine. Great minds think alike?

Tekky

A picture is "easy" to make; let's see animation.

Regarding developer costs: hardware to do better graphics is easy; software tools to make better graphics easy is hard. The tools will come, given enough time; but the hardware will likely be a good bit ahead for a while.

Also, animation is "easy" to make; let's see gameplay.

GDGF

Soothsayer
That first image in the thread, the closeup of the girl, is the first artificial image that I have ever been sexually attracted to. I feel dirty.

Shompola

Banned
Tekky said:
A picture is "easy" to make; let's see animation.

Regarding developer costs: hardware to do better graphics is easy; software tools to make better graphics easy is hard. The tools will come, given enough time; but the hardware will likely be a good bit ahead for a while.

Also, animation is "easy" to make; let's see gameplay.

That pretty much sums up the famous No Silver bullet article by Brooks :D

Top Bottom