• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

when the hell did the USPS decide video games aren't 'media'?

BuddyC

Sent out a package with twenty-odd games two weeks back. The person on the receiving end had yet to receive them, and was becoming quite worried. Today I get my wonderful package of love back with a giant "RETURN TO SENDER: INCORRECT POSTAGE - DOES NOT QUALIFY FOR MEDIA MAIL" note pasted on the front.

There was nothing in there but video games! Since when aren't video games 'media'?!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
how did they determine the contents?

Used for books, film, manuscripts, printed music, printed test materials, sound recordings, play scripts, printed educational charts, loose-leaf pages and binders consisting of medical information, videotapes, and computer recorded media such as CD-ROMs and diskettes. Media Mail cannot contain advertising.

BuddyC

levious said:
how did they determine the contents?
Well, they ripped it open and looked. Its got a nice "OPENED FOR INSPECTION BY ___ ON ___" sticker too. The brilliant part is that it took TWO WEEKS to travel less than 20 miles, because they opened it immediately after I left.

There was nothing in there except video games! NOTHING! No personal correspondance! Now I'm going to get into a yelling match with my local post office, and that's brilliant because the same two guys work there day in, day out.

edit: video games = "computer recorded media such as CD-ROMs and diskettes"

levious

BuddyChrist83 said:
edit: video games = "computer recorded media such as CD-ROMs and diskettes"

I think they're saying the opposite. Media is being defined by them as books, music, and movies in various formats.

BuddyC

levious said:
I think they're saying the opposite. Media is being defined by them as books, music, and movies in various formats.
It says computer recorded media! Find me one definition around the term "computer recorded media" that you can't apply to video games.

carpal

Dude. You got screwed.

The last time I was at the post office shipping some comic books I got interrogated over the contents of my package too. I guess they're totally cracking down on that shit now. As if media mail wasn't already slow enough, now we get to wait while they inspect (and return) our items! I fucking hate the postal service.

levious

BuddyChrist83 said:
It says computer recorded media! Find me one definition around the term "computer recorded media" that you can't apply to video games.

not trying to be an ass, but most games are pressed at a plant and not recorded by a pc user. They seem to have a very specific definition of this... really, you should have said to the post office employee what you were specifically sending and they would have assigned the proper rate... if you did and it was their mistake, I can understand your anger.

BuddyC

levious said:
not trying to be an ass, but most games are pressed at a plant and not recorded by a pc user. They seem to have a very specific definition of this... really, you should have said to the post office employee what you were specifically sending and they would have assigned the proper rate... if you did and it was their mistake, I can understand your anger.
USPS Employee #1: "USPS"
Me: "Hi, I was just browsing your website and I had a question about Media Mail. Can I send out video games under Media Mail?"
USPS: "Video games?"
Me: "Yes, like a CD, DVD, or video game cartridge."
USPS: "Let me check."
USPS: "Yup, sure can."
Me: "Okay, thanks."

Then they denied that their location would have inspected, and subsequently rejected my package, when the sticker clearly indicates it was opened, and inspected, at the Glenbrook store.

levious

well then, at this point it seems like you got screwed, good luck.

"Now I'm going to get into a yelling match with my local post office, and that's brilliant because the same two guys work there day in, day out."

Reminds me of the time I sold a game on Ebay and had to file an insurance claim. The woman at the counter asks if I have a receipt to verify the value. I'm like: No. It was an ebay auction. And she starts going on a rant about needing a receipt to file a claim. It's f*cking Abbott and Costello and I really started getting pissed. I'm holding copies of the ebay auction, the PayPal receipt, the PayPal receipt for the refund I issued, and she's telling me I need a sales receipt (from the store) to justify what it's real value is. Finially the manager came out, we walked into the conference room, and the issue of needing a receipt was never again mentioned.

Link316

Banned
media's supposed to be used for books, they used to call it "book rate", just be glad that those jerks didn't steal any of your stuff

levious

yeah, definition seems to say that media is non commercial material. If that employee was flat out wrong in telling you that videogames were ok, I wonder what remedy they could give you.

Top Bottom