• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When Vikings Attack |OT| Amazing Price for an Amazing Game

No, looks to have 9 bronze, 3 silver and one gold. I don't know of any PSN games that are $9.99 or under with a platinum?

Haha, well the motion blur is only on the items thrown so it's subtle and looks nice, but it doesn't feel like it's missing anything.

that terrible racing game LOL. i think it was $8. Anarchy: Rush Hour.

No, looks to have 9 bronze, 3 silver and one gold. I don't know of any PSN games that are $9.99 or under with a platinum?

Haha, well the motion blur is only on the items thrown so it's subtle and looks nice, but it doesn't feel like it's missing anything.

Motorstorm RC has a platinum.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
i watched a minute of the video.... am i missing something? you just walk into benches and throw them at a cluster of vikings? why is this game scoring so well?

It's a simple, well-executed idea. One that is well-refined, and without any type of needless padding or sloppy implementation.

The comparisions to Bomberman are correct; the game is extremly simple to play, but that doesn't keep it from being exciting, or satisfying.

There really should be a demo up; since the full game purchase is that of a "Demo" file + an unlock key. Could it be a Store error?

Carl

Been playing this on Vita. Really is fun. Gameplay is simple but really charming. Some of the "safety videos" are great and have some good humour in them.

Fully recommend you buy it.

Well I bought it and it's dead simple. Seems to be lots of challenges, collectibles and such wrapped around a very simple but charming game.

Feels very nintendoish in that sense.

ryushe

'ehh 'eff it, it's only $7 anyway. I spent more on lunch today. Plus I wanna buy this now than later before I get the $20 for spending $100 placed in my wallet.

fernoca

Yep. Just got this; along 'Persona 3: FES' ($5).
Plus this one for $7, also included the Vita version. Will try later.

ryushe

Okay. Game's good.

Feels kinda like a twin stick shooter, but not really. The dash mechanic makes a world of difference, too... though I do wish there were more than one viking mob at a time.

VanWinkle

Okay. Game's good.

Feels kinda like a twin stick shooter, but not really. The dash mechanic makes a world of difference, too... though I do wish there were more than one viking mob at a time.

I've seen at least two. Maybe you haven't got that far yet?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Well I bought it and it's dead simple. Seems to be lots of challenges, collectibles and such wrapped around a very simple but charming game.

Feels very nintendoish in that sense.

Yeah, a good description, as well. Nintendo games don't have 300 different mechanics, but the ones they do have all work beautifully, as you intend them to, and with much polish and refinement.

Okay. Game's good.

As of stage 3, I got attacked by 2 groups at once: one that grew very large, and another that was slightly smaller. This was also the same stage that introduced bombs into the mix.

I'm very happy the game seems to have enough visual and gameplay variety, to justify it's campaign / VS stage count. It's got a wealth of content in all the right ways.

mr_chun

This game is awesome. I'm pretending that it's a Vita exclusive so that I have something to play on it lol.

ryushe

I've seen at least two. Maybe you haven't got that far yet?

As of stage 3, I got attacked by 2 groups at once: one that grew very large, and another that was slightly smaller. This was also the same stage that introduced bombs into the mix.

I'm very happy the game seems to have enough visual and gameplay variety, to justify it's campaign / VS stage count. It's got a wealth of content in all the right ways.
There goes me talking without getting far in the game. Thanks guys, I'll def play more later.

Might have to try the demo on this one but... is this game mainly single player focused then? (meaning just as fun for SP than in MP/coop?)

Bought it on vita, but when i go into the ps3 store it asks me to rebuy it and in my download list there's only the vita version.

Help?

Still a lot of people on the fence about it.

Here is a nice short 3 minute video review I found of the Vita version for those still wondering about it.

Yeah, a good description, as well. Nintendo games don't have 300 different mechanics, but the ones they do have all work beautifully, as you intend them to, and with much polish and refinement.

Yep. Game gets pretty challenging once there are multiple groups.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Might have to try the demo on this one but... is this game mainly single player focused then? (meaning just as fun for SP than in MP/coop?)

Not really? It seems to be one of those "Single player is an elaborate training room!" style deals, though a lot of the personality and themes seem to be explored in SP.

Overall gameplay should be just as fun, whichever you choose to main.

I've played it more as a SP and MP Co-Op style thing, personally.

°°ToMmY°°;44117805 said:
Bought it on vita, but when i go into the ps3 store it asks me to rebuy it and in my download list there's only the vita version.

Help?

Hmmm... Maybe download the Vita version itself onto the PS3, and see if that triggers any proper signals? Or maybe try contacting the devs through the PSBlog post? Even they mention that those who buy the Vita game would have a PS3 game awaiting them if they owned just a Vita, and no PS3, in the blog comments...

jiggles

Banned
This game is brilliant fun.

Playing on Vita, I just left my game open and suddenly there are two others "helping" me and we're having a blast for 5 or 6 levels before they left. All without a hitch.

I loves it. The only thing to its detriment, I think, is that the game play's so simple there's nothing to really discuss. Game needs more buzz.

Fox1304

Finally tried the game.
First thing to say, is that it looks amazing on the Vita. Very clean, colorful, smooth and the art style is lovely in full resolution on this OLED.
Gameplay is simple, will be interesting in versus play, but may find itslef a bit lacking in solo.
The game has a lot of charm, and is really fresh and a pleasure to play on the Vita.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Solo does a good job keeping itself fresh, from what I've seen.

The environmental changes are much larger in scope than I'd expect, personally, and there have even been a few inventive boss strategies in there.

Also remember that the Quest is co-op able. Playing through it with my brother locally has been very nice, and this is one of few PS3 games I know of, that actually respects him playing as a seperate profile. (Is this rare on PS3?) So he earns his own characters, and has his own stats... VERY appreciated, as this doesn't happen on much bigger games, like Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One.

ANYway, it's keeping me intrested, and the few puzzles to earn special characters, mass diversity of items to throw, varied stage gimmicks, and introduction of more opponents is keeping things nice and fresh. I really like the ability to have a Co-Op campaign run, or VS, that adds quite a nice bump to it's overall value, to me.

Solo does a good job keeping itself fresh, from what I've seen.

The environmental changes are much larger in scope than I'd expect, personally, and there have even been a few inventive boss strategies in there.

Also remember that the Quest is co-op able. Playing through it with my brother locally has been very nice, and this is one of few PS3 games I know of, that actually respects him playing as a seperate profile. (Is this rare on PS3?) So he earns his own characters, and has his own stats... VERY appreciated, as this doesn't happen on much bigger games, like Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One.

ANYway, it's keeping me intrested, and the few puzzles to earn special characters, mass diversity of items to throw, varied stage gimmicks, and introduction of more opponents is keeping things nice and fresh. I really like the ability to have a Co-Op campaign run, or VS, that adds quite a nice bump to it's overall value, to me.

If you like the game maybe you should post your impressions on the PSN Vita Megathread, it seems my initial impressions scared some people off. On the first 4 levels, there were little to no variation. The environments are different but don't affect the gameplay at all. I've literally 0 motivation to pick up the game again.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If you like the game maybe you should post your impressions on the PSN Vita Megathread, it seems my initial impressions scared some people off. On the first 4 levels, there were little to no variation. The environments are different but don't affect the gameplay at all. I've literally 0 motivation to pick up the game again.

Tried a while back, I think they got steamrolled in the speed of the thread. Then your impressions came along, and everyone jumped on that bandwagon, doh!

Wasn't going to speak about it much there, until I had a bit more to work with / speak of.

And environments actually are pretty important to the game; much like bomberman, stage gimmicks can change the way you play, and what you have to look out for, from the enemies. Even area item spawn can effect exactly how you approach chasing for the high scores. Not to mention you have to pull character through in your group, to earn them for you collection. Directly encouraging one to learn how to survive better (if the gold star for low deaths didn't do that already.)

ryushe

Okay. This game is utterly genius, stupendously addictive and incredibly fun.

I think it's better than Mutant Blobs Attack by a looong shot and sits right up there alongside with Super Stardust Delta as the best Vita downloadable game -- if not completely outclassing it for the simple fact that it has silky smooth local and online co-op and a TON of things to unlock and collect.

So. Damn. Good.

Fox1304

Just played the "pipe" boss in coop with a random vitabro.
Pretty awesome boss, coop mechanic, and moment in general.
Loving this game so far, and it's really gorgeous on vita, especially the shadows.

Louis

How do you beat the boss at the assembly line ? He blocks everything, except the bombs. I think i'm missing something.

sakipon

Guess I'm in the minority but didn't find the demo any fun. Seems too simple and repetitive to me. Areas are small and there's so many items, making it chaos instead of strategy or planning.

Top Bottom