• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When's the new XBN coming out?

Lakitu

st5fu
I hear it's supposed to have some Halo 2 details, and I'm not sure when it's due out. Anyone know? I've checked 1up etc, but it runs like ass on my slow pc.

LukeSmith

Hmm, given my current schedule as a free subscriber (thx Wario) -- subscribers should see it at the end of this week or early next week.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Screw the Halo 2 details. There's a Phantom Dust review in the next issue
wavetowel.gif

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
we just got our issues in the office yesterday so y'all should start seeing them in a couple days. and yup, single-player halo 2 details! (i wrote around 2000 words on that shit).

MC Safety

Sadly, we had to pull the Phantom Dust review, as it was felt we might be better served critiquing it if/when it comes to the United States.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
quick question :) if you're allowed to answer... how much of halo 2 campaign are the impressions based on?

MC Safety

ced said:
Che will you be able to talk about Halo 2 when it hits consumers? The XBN that is.

He might. You might be better served, say, by buying or stealing a copy (as Milk and Cheese say, a steal counts as a sale, which is jake in our book) of Xbox Nation and reading the article in question.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Why isn't Phantom Dust coming to the U.S. anyway? I hear the import version even has English voices and subtitles...

WarPig

chespace said:
we just got our issues in the office yesterday so y'all should start seeing them in a couple days. and yup, single-player halo 2 details! (i wrote around 2000 words on that shit).

I transcribed four hours of interviews on that shit, which is way more words. Ha!

DFS.

ced

Disco Stu said:
He might. You might be better served, say, by buying or stealing a copy (as Milk and Cheese say, a steal counts as a sale, which is jake in our book) of Xbox Nation and reading the article in question.

I plan on buying one, but they always hit stands later than subscribers.

Id like to hear what the guys who have played it have to say anyways, magazine articles dont always cover that.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
*serious reply time*

I thought the whole point of reviewing phantom dust was to generate interest in getting it a US release?

MC Safety

Ghost said:
*serious reply time*

I thought the whole point of reviewing phantom dust was to generate interest in getting it a US release?

Yeah, we'd given the review some nice space. Sometimes, though, the best laid plans ...

How spoilerriffic is the article in XBN about Halo 2 single player? I'm not one who doesn't want to know anything about the game before I play but if there are any unexpected surprises I would like to remain surprised when I play the game.

WarPig

Mr. Lemming said:
How spoilerriffic is the article in XBN about Halo 2 single player? I'm not one who doesn't want to know anything about the game before I play but if there are any unexpected surprises I would like to remain surprised when I play the game.

Zero spoilers. Bungie's willing to show us bits of gameplay, but they're not even letting the press see the plot.

DFS.

chespace

WarPig said:
I transcribed four hours of interviews on that shit, which is way more words. Ha!

DFS.

i trust you got paid pretty well for that, no? :)

but thanks for the hard work. seriously.

novery

Wario64 said:
Why isn't Phantom Dust coming to the U.S. anyway? I hear the import version even has English voices and subtitles...

Microsoft still won't say why it pulled the plug on the English version of Phantom Dust. It did, however, spend a ton of money localizing the game and working with the Tokyo developers to make the story and characters more appealing for Western audiences, only to confine it to an Asian release later.

The full scoop is here (shameless plug): http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3134695&did=1

mimpdpackageexp0001.jpg

The game rocks by the way.

-rp

chespace

phantom dust does, indeed, rock. i've been playing it till 2am the last couple nights and it just gets better and better. the concept (that of a card battle fought in the context of an action game) certainly does take a bit to get used to... but once you get it, it rules.

the graphics, character designs, art direction, and soundtrack are all excellent, as it's from the same guy as Panzer Dragoon RPG (Azel).

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
so there's already a localized version of phantom dust in existence? wouldn't that make it really easy for another publisher to pick it up? xbox needs more japanese games. and this looks really cool.

PhatSaqs

Banned
PD has voices & text in both Japanese & English. What determines it? Apparently the language you select from the Xbox dashboard.

Yo che, whats your XBL tag? Add me to your FL (PhatSaqs) so we can play sometime.

WarPig

GhaleonEB said:
You have my full attention.

I'm not sure how much it has in common with the PD games beyond the top guy, but the top guy -- Yukio Futatsugi -- was the director of the Saturn Panzer games.

I endorse everything related to Phantom Dust except the cover art, which makes it look like a lurid take on the Shonan Bakusouzouku comics.

DFS.

jedimike

Soul4ger said:
Odds of it coming to North America? You guys hear any rumblings?

MS knows that US demand is there for it... but Shane Kim has this idea in his head that every game coming out of MGS has to fit a demographic. Blinx = kids and family, Halo 2 = mature owners, MechAssault 2 = Xbox Live players, Fable = RPG players. He can't define a demographic or genre for PD, so he just ignores it.

IMO, we'll see it around E3, as more mags, fans, and fan sites keep publishing info MS won't be able to ignore it forever.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
so does the jap version work on a US xbox? And do the menus and everything have english translations aswell or just the story elements?

PhatSaqs

Banned
My asian copy doesnt work in my US XB so I assume the jpn version wouldnt either.
Everything in the game is in english.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Won't work on either US or PAL Xbox, I tried :)
And yes when you are used to the gameplay this game rocks really really hard. And the production value is *great*. Just the sound/music is worth the price of the game. Hearing the Moonlight Sonata and other classic songs in a post apocalyptic game is such an incredible idea.

Fongul

Blimblim said:
Won't work on either US or PAL Xbox, I tried :)
And yes when you are used to the gameplay this game rocks really really hard. And the production value is *great*. Just the sound/music is worth the price of the game. Hearing the Moonlight Sonata and other classic songs in a post apocalyptic game is such an incredible idea.

Is that a modified or unmodified Xbox? Inquiring minds want to know :) I am importing the game if it does work on a modified Xbox *crosses fingers*

Top Bottom