• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where the Feck can I find the new P4 CPU's for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bregor

You mean Prescott? Any P4 with the 'e' suffix is a Prescott core. Newegg has them. You don't want one though - they perform no better than the P4c processors, and generate a lot more heat.

GuntherBait said:
NO!!! NO!!!!

Those are the OLD chipsets.

Look for ones with the Grantsdale and Alderwood chip names that go by the suffix of:

k, thx bye.

You moron, those are core logic chipsets for MOTHERBOARDS!

Shogmaster said:
Newest Intel CPUs for desktops are Prescott P4s. Ones that I linked for you. Newest mobo chipsets that you mentioned, are not out yet.
They came out monday.....

Hence the new MB's that NewEgg has... just sans the actual CPU's to put on the board. hell, even DDR2 is out. :(

Bregor

They were launched on Monday, I wouldn't expect them to actually be available for sale for a week or two (at earliest).

Bregor said:
They were launched on Monday, I wouldn't expect them to actually be available for sale for a week or two (at earliest).
gay. From what I was reading they were supposed to be "out" out and not just "launched". Very, utterly gay.

Bregor

GuntherBait said:
gay. From what I was reading they were supposed to be "out" out and not just "launched". Very, utterly gay.

Nothing shows up in the stores on the same day the reviews run. It probably won't be long though: Intel is usually pretty good at getting their new products into the store fast.

GuntherBait said:
They came out monday.....

Hence the new MB's that NewEgg has... just sans the actual CPU's to put on the board. hell, even DDR2 is out. :(

I think you're still confused about CPUs, Core logic Chipsets, and motherboards. You don't buy core logic chipsets seperately from mobos like CPUs. Chipsets come with the mobo. Grantsdale and Alderwood are core logic chipsets. They are NOT CPUs.

Shogmaster said:
I think you're still confused about CPUs, Core logic Chipsets, and motherboards. You don't buy core logic chipsets seperately from mobos like CPUs. Chipsets come with the mobo. Grantsdale and Alderwood are core logic chipsets. They are NOT CPUs.
Dear god... maybe you just don't under how other people think.

Grantsdale and Alderwood are logic core chipsets for the NEW.. YES FUCKING NEW P4's that are labeled 520-570 due to Intels re-arrangement of how they label the CPU's.

so the new CPU's that Intel rolled out on Monday... (that's yesterday...) are BASED ON: *DRUM ROLL PLEASE.....*

The Grantsdale and Alderwood "LOGIC" chipsets that are the "Next" Gen P4.

Now do you understand?

Bregor

Yeah, there is a new socket type, and therefore new CPU's to go with the new chipsets.

Neither are available for sale yet, AFAIK.

GuntherBait said:
Dear god... maybe you just don't under how other people think.

Grantsdale and Alderwood are logic core chipsets for the NEW.. YES FUCKING NEW P4's that are labeled 520-570 due to Intels re-arrangement of how they label the CPU's.

so the new CPU's that Intel rolled out on Monday... (that's yesterday...) are BASED ON: *DRUM ROLL PLEASE.....*

The Grantsdale and Alderwood "LOGIC" chipsets that are the "Next" Gen P4.

Now do you understand?

Dude, they just changed the naming convention for the CPUs. THE CHIPS ARE STILL EXACTLY THE SAME!!! Rose by any other name......

Prescotts on the shelf now will work fine with the Alderwood and Grantsdale mobos.

Bregor said:
Yeah, there is a new socket type, and therefore new CPU's to go with the new chipsets.

Neither are available for sale yet, AFAIK.

I thought they are keeping the 478 with the first Grantsdales and Alderwoods mobos.

Bregor

Shogmaster said:
Dude, they just changed the naming convention for the CPUs. THE CHIPS ARE STILL EXACTLY THE SAME!!! Rose by any other name......

Prescotts on the shelf now will work fine with the Alderwood and Grantsdale mobos.

No, look again, they've changed the socket (although the chip inside is identical).

GuntherBait said:
weak sauce.

Actually, I got my P4 3.0C and a 865 board only about 5 months ago, so no upgrades for a while for me. Upgrading my workstation is tricky too, since I gotta time things right so I don't get hosed on the memory (since I need 2GB of RAM minimum). Because of slight roadmap miscalculation a year or more ago, I'm stuck using PC2700s with my 865 and 3.0C right now. Not a huge deal, but I'd like to have had PC3200s instead.

Hopefully about 8 months from now, the CPU, mobo and RAM upgrade path is more clearer than it is now. I have no idea right now what's gonna be the winning combo next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom