• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's the Rome: Total War love?

ElyrionX

This game ROCKS!!! I can't stop playing it. Truly the ultimate strategy game......

Sorry, I don't have the time to post much impressions. I rather spend the time playing the game instead. Its THAT good........

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
There are like 5 of us at GAF who are interested in this game. This game consumes my free time. I skipped over Medieval but comparitavely it is SOOOOO much better than Shogun.

ElyrionX

Yeah, its ridiculous......

The game has been out for almost a week and I didn't see a single thread on it anywhere.....

GAF's members are such a bunch of console whores......

Forsete

Im getting raped by the evil alliance between the Greeks, Germanians and some "tribe" that starts with a D. :(

ElyrionX

I realize that sometimes you just got to ignore the Senate missions. They wanted me to capture Thapsus (Carthage city) but those guys had way more advanced troops than me at that point of time. I sent my army and got slaughtered. Reloaded my game and began to develop my three cities (Messana and 2 other cities with weird names) and climb the tech tree. Oh, and I'm playing Scipii.........

Oh and does anybody know how to take out elephants? Archers seem to do shit damage to them. And they eat cavalry and footmen for breakfast. I'm pretty much at a loss on this issue.....

I need to pick this up ASAP. I've been following the game for close to a year now and i don't even have it yet. Stupid concerts draining my wallet!

Medievil stole a good portion of my life, and another portion is anxious to be swept by Rome's goodness.

Yeah, I'm shocked on the lack of hype going on here. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to play the full version yet, but I LOVE the demo. Must of played it a hundred times. Can't wait to get my hands on the full game.

LOL Check out the closing comments of the IGN review:

Discounting those with short attention spans, any gamers with an interest in the strategy genre owe it to themselves to buy, beg or borrow this game. I'd honestly suggest you steal it if none of those other options seem to work for you but in these days of hasty litigation, I had better refrain from actually encouraging anyone to commit a crime to get hold of this game. Still, with a game this good, it'd be a crime not to play it.

This series has always been an office favorite. We never had a problem filling eight seats for a Shogun match, and though Medieval: Total War never quite reached that level of interest, I've played it regularly since the day it came out. But Rome: Total War is such an improvement over its predecessors that it's my new strategy game of choice. The shorter, more digestible campaigns and the intense immediacy of the battles have made it hard for me to drag myself away long enough to get this review written; the more I write about it, the more I want to play it.

Personally, I've never given a score this high before but Rome Total War is without a doubt one of the best games I've ever played. The combination of subject matter, game mechanics, and outstanding visuals add up to one of the best experiences you'll have on the PC.

Now if you'll excuse me, there are some Thracians at the gate just begging for another ass-kicking.

I'm a complete Medieval whore but my PC can't handle Rome: Total War. At the very least I need a video card upgrade. Hopefully that'll happen in a couple of weeks.

Until then I'm playing KAG.

You'll be surprised how well it runs, Id give it a shot anyway if I were you. You don't need a super powerhouse video card for it to be pretty smooth.

AeroGod

ElyrionX said:
..Oh and does anybody know how to take out elephants? Archers seem to do shit damage to them. And they eat cavalry and footmen for breakfast. I'm pretty much at a loss on this issue.....

get your best archer, pelt it with arrows then use the arrows as a ladder to climb on tob of the beast. use your sword to cut lose the harness on the saddle and knock it to the ground, then fire three arrows AT THE SAME TIME into the beasts head for the kill shot. As it falls to the ground, slide down the trunk just to show how much of a bas ass you are.

I'm definetly gonna get it. But with so much in my backlog, I can't justify paying retail for it.

P.S. My Best Buy had like a 100 copies sitting on the shelf. The game looks awesome, but I somehow think Activision is overestimating how well this is gonna penetrate the casual market.

clipunderground said:
Yeah, I'm shocked on the lack of hype going on here. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to play the full version yet, but I LOVE the demo. Must of played it a hundred times. Can't wait to get my hands on the full game.
[/B]

How did I miss a demo being released? Gotta D/L this!

ElyrionX

AeroGod said:
get your best archer, pelt it with arrows then use the arrows as a ladder to climb on tob of the beast. use your sword to cut lose the harness on the saddle and knock it to the ground, then fire three arrows AT THE SAME TIME into the beasts head for the kill shot. As it falls to the ground, slide down the trunk just to show how much of a bas ass you are.

I spotted the Legolas reference right when you said "use the arrows as a ladder". I'm a massive LOTR whore.........

ElyrionX

Combat system takes some getting used to but I'm slowly warming up to it. The realism of it all is breathtaking. Watching your cavalry tear into the enemies' infantry flanks is truly a sight to behold.

I can't stop playing this game.....

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
ElyrionX said:
Oh and does anybody know how to take out elephants? Archers seem to do shit damage to them. And they eat cavalry and footmen for breakfast. I'm pretty much at a loss on this issue.....

Oh i know, i saw it on that TV show that used one of the total war games to re-create battles.

Swordsmen, skin is too tough for archers and spearmens formations are too tight, swordsmen can run in between the legs and just slash away at the elephants body.

Falch

I've been playing the demo, and it is very impression, both in gameplay and gfx. I wonder though, how's the balance between city building/managing and actual combat? The demo only has a tutorial battle and one full scale battle (Hannibal vs Romans).

ElyrionX

Yeah flaming pigs are in.....

Balance between city building/management and combat is good, IMO. There really isn't much for you to micromanage when it comes to handling your empire. And there are enough battles for you to fight if you want them......

Top Bottom