• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Where's the Sims 2 love?

ElyrionX

It seems to me that this forum is completely devoid of any love for The Sims series. Considering that The Sims is probably the greatest selling PC game of all time, its quite weird how little attention it is receiving around here.

The Sims 2 just got released so I was wondering whether anyone has picked it up yet? I need some impressions......

B'z-chan

Banned
It comes out today in the us. So far i can say that is fucking funny. I already got the maid to sleep with the man of the house and his two daughters pregnant its freaking hilarious stuff. But thatsx just from goofing around with the game.

Maxis did a great job on thsi one.

B'z-chan

Banned
AniHawk said:
I'll prolly never get a chance to get this game as all games for Mac have been killed off.

Dont worry its still in development for Apple still as far as i know. And get a pc already you can build a good cheap one for under 600 bucks.

haha the twin sisters are helping each other they are in wheelchairs and so is the maid this is some funny shit.

how does it run

I have xp 3000
gig of ddr ram 3200
and 9800 pro

whats your rigs specs and settings and performance I wanna pick this up today!

B'z-chan

Banned
Runs good on something similar but i have a 9600xt. its pretty smooth at 1048 resolution. It keeps steady at around 30 or so. When death comes though it droped to like 2 for some reason. Lets just say your rig can handle this game easily.

AniHawk said:
The Sims was, at least.

Sims 2 will make it to the mac someday that is the way it works maybe next year

Here's a clip from the chat:
Tinkerbelll
PLEASE ANSWER THIS QUESTION!! I am a die hard macintosh user and I realize that the sims2 is coming out for PC's only. Will a mac version of the sims2 come out? if so, when?!?!

MaxisNeil
I am a Mac user too! There will be a Mac version of Sims 2 - We haven't announced the release date yet.

told yah

breif impressions, I'm not one for writing impressions so bear with me.

it looks much better but the camera takes some getting used to.

you get to choose for 3 pre-made neighbor hoods or make your own, each with a storyline one is like a soap opera, one is Romeo and Juliet and the other is in the desert where strange things happen. you can make your sims have differnt goals and personalities.

The Slut/Gigglo....your sims main goal is to have as many "lovers" as possible
The Money Grubber...your sims main purpose is to become rich and powerful
The Brain....your sims main goal is to become smart and do smart things
The Family Guy/Gal....build a family
The Party Guy/Gal...be mr/mrs social

Each one has differnt wants e.g the giggilo wanted to be a slacker and the Money Grubber wanted to be a doctor or Politician, and wants to marry a rich sim.

There is a "Downtown" to shop and meet and junk

Each day you get goals, by completing those goals you get asperation points which get you differnt tiems like the money tree. Each career has a challenge..haven't played long enough to get to that.

Cool things I noticed..you can interact with the maid...I married her and she had 2 other lovers, who I beat up once then got beat up. After that in my sims needs was "to See (maids lovers) Ghost" I dunno if you can kill another sim. Once you marry the maid (or what ever service person) the NPc os replaced by a differnt looking NPC.

You get social from the computer from chating and email and phone. Your sim plays SSX3. The screen on the TV and Computer is animated.

You don't have to sleep, eat or bath as much.

your sims learns new stuff to cook and such the more they study or do said task.

The day doesn't go by as fast any more, and there are vacation days and weekends.

A LOT more sim to sim interactions.

The sims bring home friends from work.

The sims relationships don't take as long to get somewhere anymore.

The only things I didn't like, I started getting bored, and the baggy skater clothes only come with Jesus Walkers (sandels)

hirokazu said:
what's the system reqs?

This is from IGN:

Minimum Requirements:
If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM then you need at least:

800 MHz processor or better
256 MB RAM if Windows XP, ME, 98 or 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space.

If you have a non-T&L capable video card (an Intel Extreme Graphics or a Radeon 7000/VE Series) then you need at least:

2.0 GHz processor or better
256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space

8bit

Knows the Score
As I don't play 3D crate shooting games, I have no idea what T&L is.
Could someone please enlighten me? Is it like T&A?

Memles

I've got a Mobility Radeon 7200, I think, 32 MB graphics card in a 1.4 GHZ Laptop, 512...is this going to run like shit?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Memles said:
I've got a Mobility Radeon 7200, I think, 32 MB graphics card in a 1.4 GHZ Laptop, 512...is this going to run like shit?
I think you would be flatterly yourself if you even think it will run as good as that.:)

DHGamer

The Camera seems to operate just like Warcraft 3 from looking at EA's tech page. There's a topic HERE about 1/2 way down the page that shows the exact controls.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
You don't have to sleep, eat or bath as much.

The day doesn't go by as fast any more, and there are vacation days and weekends.

Those points right there make it alot better than the original.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I remember way back when I played the original, I had a monstrous black widow character. It was sort of a cheat to get her more money, but it was hilarious for a time. I'd keep making a single generic character off in another house, and then go back to the house of my main character. She'd wait for this new neighbor to come and visit, and seduce them enough for them to marry her. Eventually, she'd convince them to go swimming, and then the pool ladder would mysteriously disappear! Either that, or they'd go into a closet where the door inexplicably vanished behind them. Regardless of the means, my main character ended up with about $20k extra, although there was a rapidly growing graveyard in the back.

DarthWoo said:
I remember way back when I played the original, I had a monstrous black widow character. It was sort of a cheat to get her more money, but it was hilarious for a time. I'd keep making a single generic character off in another house, and then go back to the house of my main character. She'd wait for this new neighbor to come and visit, and seduce them enough for them to marry her. Eventually, she'd convince them to go swimming, and then the pool ladder would mysteriously disappear! Either that, or they'd go into a closet where the door inexplicably vanished behind them. Regardless of the means, my main character ended up with about $20k extra, although there was a rapidly growing graveyard in the back.
Heheh, my girlfriend did the same "pool trap" but with children... She wanted the Gashley Crumbtinies in her back yard.

AirBrian

DarthWoo said:
Ah, good times. I did that too. The only bad thing about it was the ghosts would haunt the house. Selling the tombstones seems to fix that problem though. :D

border

The game seems like it is pretty much the same to me -- still a bunch of tedious character-building and stat management. I wish that you didn't have to work on refilling status bars so much, but I guess without them there wouldn't be much of a game at all...

The aspiration system seems a bit hokey and random, though I guess it does keep things a bit more goal-oriented. The problem is that none of the stuff you buy with aspiration points is really that great.....and it just feels like a meter than you have to mindlessly fill up.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
^^^IAWTP^^^

Its the same game with a few more options and things to measure, expect the same 8 or so add-ons adding the same features as they did last time.

Socreges

Banned
A buddy of mine downloaded it. He said it's quite a bit better than the first one - lots of fun.

Downloading it right now.

I think EA will be fine.

Socreges

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Either you have a demo or a parrot.

The parrot is probably cuter though.
Arrrrrr!

If I like it enough, I will buy it. Generally my philosophy with music, but for games as well the few times I rip one off.

suikodan

Got teh parrot version and also getting the DVD edition @ EBGames today so no arrrs for me.

I hate it because the parrot version has multilingual support, something I'm sure that the NA version doesn't :p

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
LOL LOL ^

If I'm allowed to comment, and I can since my comment card says "GOOD THRU 2006", It's indirectly my fault since I ipressed the issue.

EDIT: Awesome I should be hired as banning bait.

Socreges said:
Arrrrrr!

If I like it enough, I will buy it. Generally my philosophy with music, but for games as well the few times I rip one off.

suikodan said:
Got teh parrot version and also getting the DVD edition @ EBGames today so no arrrs for me.

I hate it because the parrot version has multilingual support, something I'm sure that the NA version doesn't :p

You people make this too bloody easy.

banned.jpg

Sims 2 is on the "Sucks to be you" list of SP 2 game

More impressions....expect a patch soon. The game is fine with one sim more then that its retarted. So far one sim took a shower in the kitchen....there is no shower in the kitchen. Let them alone and they ignore what you qued up. Say they have to pee really bad...direct them to the bathroom but they would rather dance. They try to walk THROUGH tables and then complain that there's no room to move. The table could be in the dead center of a massive room adn they will try and go through the table more then once. throw a party and for some reason the NPc sims will stuff them self in the far corner of the house and talk to each other no matter what you do they'll mostly ignore you. Sims also like to stand ina doorway and complain there no way out of the room.

IT seems while everything else is improved yet the AI took a step back, It's been a while since I played the first one but I don't remeber the sims being this frustratingly stupid.

Great Wasabi Man said:
you can make your sims have differnt goals and personalities.

The Slut/Gigglo....your sims main goal is to have as many "lovers" as possible
The Money Grubber...your sims main purpose is to become rich and powerful
The Brain....your sims main goal is to become smart and do smart things
The Family Guy/Gal....build a family
The Party Guy/Gal...be mr/mrs social
Wow. It's like they took the sort of goals people created for themselves, and made it a standard part of play.

got it today the amount od detail in interactions is nuts

Like my sim studied cooking to learn spaghetti and it actually shows him preparing the food (getting colinder. etc etc)

Tons more social interactions

yeah I can see this getting about 20389237 more expansions also

Played it alot today...

Made a family of 5 A grandma, parents, aughter and baby. The daughter is a total bitch, hates everyone in the family. I made the mom bi and made her have an affair with the maid, so far he daughter, son and husband caught her..lol. The grandma married the handy man....and she's the only one who can cook. The kid is like the mom just teens and old people can't "woo hoo". IT sucks making an old persoon a family person cause all they want is grand children....I'm gonna kill the grandma. I made the kid try to fix the PC he got fried and walked around all day burnt with spikey hair...lol. All in all it''s a much needed improvement and is fun but...

Any family more then 3 the game turns into "Sims 2:Watching the mildly retarted inflicted with ADD and OCD who DON'T listen"

The AI needs a kick in the ass...so much of a kick in the ass a foot should be broken off. So far:

I tried to have the dad help the son with home work qued up after he ate. He wlaks to the son stops at the next seat eats again, I tell him agian to help the son, he gets up walks to the son turns around goes around the table and eats again.

DO NOT give them the remote controll car., or at least don't put it outside. So many times they missed work and school cause on the way out the door they were called by the shiney metal thing.

I advise not letting them watch TV, use the computer, or read when they are close to peeing or going to work cause they just wont

countless times a sim was in a clear path and just stopped walking then complaind there was something in the way. Eventhough they walked by there tons of times. This happens ALOT.

I had a fireman stand in the middle of a open room and claim he was trapped by a wall!?

2 sims couldn't figure to walk around the house or through the house to get the back yard, they stood at the corner of the ouside of the house complaining there is something in the way. I had to click the "Move here" a few times for them to get around the house.

They like to get in each others way cause sims don't know to walk around a person they just stand there yelling till one sim wanders away, you could tell them to move her e but that only works if they deciede to listen. One time I told the dad to pee in the downstairs bathroom but the grandma wandered in as he was about to go. She complained something was in her way, he bitched that she was in the room this went on for a while. The whole time I was clicking the upstairs BRoom which was igonred. One that happens often is 2 sims will be face to face they go to talk one sim will walk away and try to go around something, they can come back then go all zig zag through the house to get on the other side of the sim they want to talk to.

I got a house with a porch, they walk down the stairs then back up to get on the porch.

With all that the game is still fun. Frustrating but fun. I was gonna take screen shots of soem of this but whatever.

border

I haven't had any of the AI problems that Wasabi man mentioned, but then I have made my house pretty navigable....

My main character's fiancee is kind of a freak. No matter how much I try to make her devoted, all her aspirations are like "Make out with 3 different sims" or "Woohoo with 3 different sims." And how do you have sex in public? I tried it on the bench but never get the option. Apparently doing it in the hot tub outside doesn't count.

border

Oh, and my main character is friggin' weird. He is supposed to be kind of money-driven, but everyday his aspirations are --without fail-- "Buy tree," "buy shrub," and "buy flowerbed". So my yard keeps getting full of shrubs and trees that I eventually have to clear out. It's nice having a character with such easily satisfied aspirations, but also kind of annoying.

Pimpbaa

One thing that makes this way better than the original is that you can hit on the maid (and more after she is done with your house) :D

Top Bottom