• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

which brand of HD to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuddyC

the story, real quick: friend's 30 GB HD dies over the weekend. Browsing newegg.com, I see a bunch of good prices but I don't know what brand to pick up. Looking for about 40 GB. What's the best one out of those listed here?

40 gigs? I see 200 gig's at office depot for about $130 every couple of months.

I know people constantly say maxtor is garbage, but I've never had a problem with their drives. I have three maxtors.

aoi tsuki

Yeah, i've had three Maxtors and a WD. No problems with any of them. My mom's had problems with both of her WDs. Only drives i'd stay away from are IBM.

I wouldn't get a 200-ish GB hard drive. There's only so much they can fit on them with all the platters. A lot of them are pretty unstable.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
I have Maxtor and Western Digital drives - no problems with either whatsoever.
I think Seagate is good too.

And go for at least an 80GB one... might as well.

BuddyC

When they're using less than 25% of their 30 GB HD, it seems pointless to upgrade beyond 40 GB.

Thanks for the help guys.

Crispy

What's the problem with IBM's drives?
I've had my 40GB IBM for almost three years now, still works fine as far as I can tell.

Drexon

Banned
Crispy> It's a gamble. You know how bad a reputation they have. I too didn't believe it until 2 discs crashed on me. :/

jenov4

Crispy said:
What's the problem with IBM's drives?
I've had my 40GB IBM for almost three years now, still works fine as far as I can tell.

They'll overheat. I can't remember exactly where, but there was a huge thread on some PC hardware forum mentioning how crappy IBM/Hitachi drives are.

Once you hear the 'click of death' (It's like this loud griding noise) you better get the data to another drive ASAP.

Crispy

Drexon said:
Crispy> It's a gamble. You know how bad a reputation they have. I too didn't believe it until 2 discs crashed on me. :/

Hmmm ok, guess I'm lucky then! I always seem to get lucky with stuff I buy, it almost never breaks.

A friend of mine always reads those consumer magazines and buys the best tested hardware, but his stuff ALWAYS breaks. I know he treats his things really well, so that's not it, maybe his house is built on an ancient graveyard or something.

jenov4 said:
Once you hear the 'click of death' (It's like this loud griding noise) you better get the data to another drive ASAP.

Ok, I'll be watching out for that! Still silent as a stealthy ninja though.

jenov4 said:
They'll overheat. I can't remember exactly where, but there was a huge thread on some PC hardware forum mentioning how crappy IBM/Hitachi drives are.

40 Deskstar hard drives have failed at our office starting as of a couple years back. It's pretty much as you say - overheat, click, drive gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom