• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game has better facial modelling ?

Omeyocan

Silent Hill 3/4 or Resident Evil 4 ?

After examinating both games I must say that Silent Hill 3 has slightely better facial modelling and details.

What do you think ?

DMczaf

914719_20030627_screen010.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
BlueLegs said:
http://img39.exs.cx/img39/5660/g-man.jpg
I Agree.

Wow. That pic really shows how difficult the eyes are to get right. I'm not dissing it at all, it looks excellent, just think the eyes will take some time to perfect - it's the same with all art (I think the MGS3 shot looks slightly better from that perspective).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mr Gump said:
Half life 2's facial animation is far greater than MGS3.

Modelling != animation

HL2's facial modelling (outside of that G-man pic, which does not represent in game graphics...though it is realtime) really isn't as good as any of the other games in this thread. A lot of the newer pics show just how true that is.

The facial animation is pretty good, but it isn't nearly as good now as it seemed to be during that first showing.

MGS3 really shows how important design is, though. The models really aren't particularly high-poly by any means...but the way they look and move stands well above higher poly models we've seen in many other games.

As for the champ, I think SH3 really does take it...

sh3_screen006.jpg

...and I believe SH3 is the only game mentioned in this thread that self-shadows as well. :p

epmode

dark10x said:
(outside of that G-man pic, which does not represent in game graphics...though it is realtime)
from what i've read, the g-man does look like that in-game. it's a 1024x768 texture, just for his face. only the main characters get such a nice treatment, however.

u_neek said:
Haven't really played SH3 - but did the faces look like that in-game and did they animate well?

You never really get to see them during gameplay before of the way the camera was positioned. They did animate really well also.

FightyF

Banned
ESPN NHL 2K4 (and now 2K5) have had the best faces I've seen so far.

They have higher poly counts than most games, they are textured better with high res textures. They are lit better, and the have extreme facial animations. The insides of the mouth (the tongue, teeth and gums) are textured and modelled beautifully. Heck, the adam's apple is modelled and lit too!

2k5_08-03-04_tst2_03.jpg

2k4_09-04-03_linden.jpg

2k4_08-14-03_espnx_screen018.jpg

It's even more amazing when you consider that hundreds of player's faces have been modelled, whereas in RE4 and SH3, there's around 75 players max. In HL2 there is more (and the animation is a lot more realistic, plus they can talk), but that's not out yet :) Plus, I do still think that besides those features ESPN's faces look more realistic.

It makes all the other games look like cartoons.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I dunno... there's just something about MGS3 faces. They seem so damn good in their own special non 100% realistic way. Little things also make it, like how 'The Boss' changes her face right before she's going to attack. Stuff like that you don't see every day.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Fight for Freeform said:
ESPN NHL 2K4 (and now 2K5) have had the best faces I've seen so far.

They have higher poly counts than most games, they are textured better with high res textures. They are lit better, and the have extreme facial animations. The insides of the mouth (the tongue, teeth and gums) are textured and modelled beautifully. Heck, the adam's apple is modelled and lit too!

2k5_08-03-04_tst2_03.jpg

2k4_09-04-03_linden.jpg

2k4_08-14-03_espnx_screen018.jpg

It's even more amazing when you consider that hundreds of player's faces have been modelled, whereas in RE4 and SH3, there's around 75 players max. In HL2 there is more (and the animation is a lot more realistic, plus they can talk), but that's not out yet :) Plus, I do still think that besides those features ESPN's faces look more realistic.

It makes all the other games look like cartoons.

I would agree, but who really plays from that angle? :p

FightyF

Banned
Yeah, I'm still waking up here so please excuse me.

The thread is about the best modelled faces, and not the most realistic looking faces.

So I understand why people would like the other faces...like in HL2 and MGS3, the cheekbones are really defined and modelled well (and not just a texture like in Max Payne :)).

Society: Yeah, unless you turn on the cutscenes and watch replays, you're gonna miss out on the facial goodness. But just imagine seeing those types of faces in a game. Replace all the characters in Shen Mue with those faces...

Shanahan Mue would rock!

dark10x

epmode said:
from what i've read, the g-man does look like that in-game. it's a 1024x768 texture, just for his face. only the main characters get such a nice treatment, however.

I honestly don't believe that...

Looking at all of the recent footage (from E3), it is very VERY obvious that the in game faces are simply not as detailed as that G-Man face (which uses shaders and everything to simulate skin and whatnot). They don't look nearly as impressive while you play...

This is an older shot, but it hasn't really changed in the newer versions. This represents what the characters look like during the game...which is the only time you'll see them.

half_screen001.jpg

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Lots of talk of "animation" in these screens....hehe

I'd have to say Tiger Woods 2004...I made a guy that looks just like me, to the point that it downright freaks people out when they see me playing...hehe

Good times :D

Crispy

I haven't played it in a long while, but I remember being pretty impressed by the facial modelling and animation of Onimusha 2, especially that green female pig-boss character.

nitewulf

dark10x said:
MGS3 really shows how important design is, though. The models really aren't particularly high-poly by any means...but the way they look and move stands well above higher poly models we've seen in many other games.

blurred backgrounds, some areas are overexposed, and contrast is hightened...ppl are eating it up. though the actual facial model is not all that detailed.
it has more to do with image/effects manipulation.

dark10x

nitewulf said:
blurred backgrounds, some areas are overexposed, and contrast is hightened...ppl are eating it up. though the actual facial model is not all that detailed.
it has more to do with image/effects manipulation.

No it doesn't. I'm not even referring to that shot...

Look at the "models only" pics that are on Gamespot. They are rather low poly, but use those polys to create something VERY good looking. Whereas many PC games with more polys in the models still have akward and ugly looking characters.

Of course, the image/effects "manipulation" in MGS3 is also something very well done. It is something I wish more games would strive for...

nitewulf

dark10x said:
Of course, the image/effects "manipulation" in MGS3 is also something very well done. It is something I wish more games would strive for...

this could be done easily enough, ppl just dont have that sort of artistic inclinations/vision. its nothing but playing around with some filters, ultimately ending up with something distinctive looking.
you want me to make a generic face better looking? give me a decently modeled western pc game facial model.

is this the batch you're refering to?

914828_20040820_screen017.jpg

basically this is what im gonna say, its probably the most aesthetically pleasing of all the games mentioned thus far (well RE4 models look VERY good), mainly because of the style. this person is very "attractive", its very "anime", as opposed to the ugly characters from HL2...same reason why, say Vampire Hunter D looks better than Heavy Metal 2000.

dark10x

It almost sounds as if you are trying to dis-credit MGS3's modelling team...

Style, filters, etc. all come into play...but the fact of the matter is that these guys are able to create models that look very high quality with very few polys in comparison to many other games. A lot of Western titles with higher poly characters still end up with akward looking models throughout. When talking about the "best models", the amount of geometry used isn't really a part of that argument...

I don't care what you do to a lot of other games, you'll never achieve the same quality. Adding filters and such to some random PC game isn't going to magically improve the appearance of the models...

People question its artistic design, but Doom 3 gets major props from me for creating very detailed, CG-like models from a very low poly budget. Those monsters are very simple, but they manage to look incredible.

Culex

Banned
While not as high-res as Silent Hill 3's facial models, the eye-pleasing self-shadowning in RE4 is much better in my opinion.

dark10x

Culex said:
While not as high-res as Silent Hill 3's facial models, the eye-pleasing self-shadowning in RE4 is much better in my opinion.

Eh? RE4 doesn't have self-shadowing (from what we've seen) while SH3 does...

nitewulf

dark10x said:
It almost sounds as if you are trying to dis-credit MGS3's modelling team...

not really. i just dont think the facial models are as detailed as RE4 or SH3 and should be judged as such.

Culex

Banned
dark10x said:
Eh? RE4 doesn't have self-shadowing (from what we've seen) while SH3 does...

Maybe my definition of self shadowing is wrong then. What are the shadows from the pic I posted of the President's daughter then?

dark10x

Culex said:
Maybe my definition of self shadowing is wrong then. What are the shadows from the pic I posted of the President's daughter then?

What you posted doesn't display self-shadowing...

29015_1.jpg

Here is an example of what it looks like...

When a light is cast upon the character, all geometry from that character will properly cast a shadow onto other parts of that character. If the arm moves in front of the chest, for example, that arm will cast a realtime shadow across the body. Notice how the nose, eye sockets, right arm, head and other features now cast proper shadows?

When compared to the RE4 pic, notice that the image on the right (original) is shaded in a similar fashion. That isn't self-shadowing...

nitewulf said:
not really. i just dont think the facial models are as detailed as RE4 or SH3 and should be judged as such.

Snake and Volgins faces look really detailed:

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20040819045859306.jpg

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20040819045901727.jpg

metal-gear-solid-3-bee-fighter-20040625102658731.jpg
]
metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20040819045858431.jpg

metal-gear-solid-3-snake-eater-20040819045902540.jpg

The men in the series generally have really detailed features while the women have much softer facial features (Raiden being the exception who's a guy that has soft facial features :p ).

nitewulf

i think kojima team's ace members are the cinematography/effects/imagery people. see the facial models are certainly not bad, but its those effects people that make the package look much better than they are.
if you'll check out some RE4 character shots (and i dont wanna get involved in a screenshot battle), you'll notice that the hair is much more detailed.
as you can also notice, in MGS, the ears are showing polygonal edges, in RE4 they are more rounded.
but overall look of the shots you posted, the "warm" glow, the shallow depth of field (blurry backgrounds), overexposed parts of the face...these are the effects that make the whole package look tremendous, to the extent of hiding the lack of detail in the faces.
props where its due, kojima's effects/artistic team...they got great aesthetic vision. unless of course its the same guys doing the modeling as well, then they balanced everything to achieve some great results.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
nitewulf said:
i think kojima team's ace members are the cinematography/effects/imagery people. see the facial models are certainly not bad, but its those effects people that make the package look much better than they are.
if you'll check out some RE4 character shots (and i dont wanna get involved in a screenshot battle), you'll notice that the hair is much more detailed.
as you can also notice, in MGS, the ears are showing polygonal edges, in RE4 they are more rounded.
but overall look of the shots you posted, the "warm" glow, the shallow depth of field (blurry backgrounds), overexposed parts of the face...these are the effects that make the whole package look tremendous, to the extent of hiding the lack of detail in the faces.
props where its due, kojima's effects/artistic team...they got great aesthetic vision. unless of course its the same guys doing the modeling as well, then they balanced everything to achieve some great results.

I agree, although it's texture usage & attention to detail that sets RE4 apart. SH3 is beautiful in scripted in-engine generated cutscenes, is Heather that detailed during gameplay? No. RE4 spits out 20+ detailed infected villagers at a time.

Top Bottom