• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Laptop is Better- (Did I just buy the shittier one?!?)

PBY

Banned
I just bought this laptop:
asus g50vt-x5
Specs:
Brand ASUS
Series G Series
Model G50VT-X5
General
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P7450
Screen 15.6" WSXGA
Memory Size 4GB
Hard Disk 320GB
Optical Drive DVD Super Multi
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS
Video Memory 512M DDR3
Card slot 1 x Express Card
Dimensions 14.77" x 10.44" x 1.36-1.60"
Weight 6.18 lbs.
Tech Intel Centrino 2 Processor Technology
CPU
CPU Type Intel Core 2 Duo
CPU Speed P7450(2.13GHZ)
CPU FSB 1066MHz
CPU L2 Cache 3MB
Display
Screen Size 15.6"
Wide Screen Support Yes
Display Type Wide SXGA
Operating Systems
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64 Bit
Graphics
GPU/VPU NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS
Video Memory 512MB DDR3
Graphic Type Dedicated Card
Hard Drive
HDD 320GB
HDD RPM 7200rpm
Memory
Memory 4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 SDRAM
Optical Drive
Optical Drive Type DVD Super Multi
Optical Drive Interface Integrated
Communications
WLAN 802.11n Wireless LAN
Ports
Card Slot 1 x Express Card
USB 4
IEEE 1394 1
Video Port 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI
Other port 1 x E-SATA
Audio Ports Yes
Audio
Audio Integrated Sound card
Speaker Internal Speakers
Input Device
Touchpad Yes
Keyboard Standard
Supplemental Drive
Card Reader SD, MMC, MS, MS-Pro
Webcam 2.0 MP
Power
Battery 6-cell lithium ion
Physical spec
Dimensions 14.77" x 10.44" x 1.36-1.60"
Weight 6.18 lbs.

but I've been reading some forums, and some people say this one is better:
asus g50vt-x1
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo Mobile P8400
Processor Speed: 2.26GHz
Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Platform: Intel Centrino 2
Display Type: WXGA widescreen display with 1366 x 768 resolution
Screen Size: 15.6"
System Bus: 1066MHz
Cache Memory: 2MB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM): 4GB
Type of Memory (RAM): PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive Type: Serial ATA (5400 rpm)
Hard Drive Size: 320GB
Optical Drive: Double-layer DVD+RW/CD-RW
Optical Drive Speeds: Drive speeds not specified
Direct-Disc Labeling: Yes
Digital Media Reader or Slots: Yes, digital media card reader
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS
Video Memory: 512MB
Personal Video Recorder (PVR): No
TV Tuner: No
MPEG: Yes
Built-in Webcam: Yes
Modem: None
Networking: Built-in 10Base-T/100Base-TX Ethernet LAN with RJ-45 connector
Wireless Networking: Wireless-A+B+G+N
Bluetooth-Enabled: No
S-Video Outputs: None
Additional Audio/Video Connectors: HDMI
Audio: Azalia audio chip
Speakers: Built-in Altec Lansing
PCMCIA Slots: 1 Type II
USB 2.0 Ports: 4
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports: 1
Parallel Ports: None
Serial Ports: 1
Game Ports: None
Laptop Weight: Standard (more than 5.5 lbs.)
Battery Type: Lithium-ion
Pointing Device: Touchpad
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit with SP1
Included Software: Power 4 Gear Extreme, ASUS Direct Console and more
ENERGY STAR Qualified: No
Product Height: 1.6"
Product Width: 14.8"
Product Weight: 7.3 lbs.
Product Depth: 10.4"

I still have the chance to cancel the original order- I'm sort of confused because I much prefer the asthetics of the asus g50vt-x1, but I don't know which is better...
From what I can see, the original one has a better graphics card, worse processor, and better battery?
help me GAF

PBY

Banned
For reference, this is the one I bought:
33496181-2-440-LAP-3.jpg

And this is the one I'm worried I messed up on:
image.php

Guled

am I blind, they both seem to have the same video card, anyway the second one dose seem better after taking a quick look

The first one is a better home office type machine. The higher resolution will help put more stuff on the screen. The second is a better gaming machine, with a better processor and lower resolution. Overall they are comparable, though.

PBY

Banned
NovemberMike said:
The first one is a better home office type machine. The higher resolution will help put more stuff on the screen. The second is a better gaming machine, with a better processor and lower resolution. Overall they are comparable, though.
Can you elaborate? Thanks for the reply, but why is lower resolution better for gaming?

peterb0y said:
Can you elaborate? Thanks for the reply, but why is lower resolution better for gaming?

Because a higher resolution requires a more powerful graphics card. And when your native resolution is higher, and you use a lower resolution than you should to gain performance, it looks blurry and ugly.

Therefore, for something like a laptop, you want to get a "slightly" lower native resolution so the image is still crisp and your FPS won't be too low.

I ran across this issue when I bought a 1080p monitor. I have to run every single game in 1080p in order for it not to look blurry. However, some games don't perform very well on my PC at 1080p. If I had a monitor which had a native resolution of 1440x900, I could run games at that res without looking like a blurry mess and my FPS will get boosted.

In a perfect situation though, you'd have a PC that ran games at a very high resolution, and still had enough juice to run games with a nice FPS.

Hope that helps.

PBY

Banned
ALaz502 said:
Because a higher resolution requires a more powerful graphics card. And when your native resolution is higher, and you use a lower resolution than you should, it looks blurry and ugly.

Therefore, for something like a laptop, you want to get a "slightly" lower native resolution, so the image is still crisp and your FPS won't be too low.

I ran across this issue when I bought a 1080p monitor. I have to run every single game in 1080p in order for it not to look blurry. However, some games don't perform very well on my PC at 1080p. If I had a monitor which at a native resolution of 1440x900, I could run games at that res without looking like a blurry mess and my FPS will get boosted.

IDEALLY though, you want a PC that can go High resolution and have enough power to crank out high FPS. :)
Ohh.. thanks man much appreciated...
I've also been looking around and it seems that the x5 has a 9cell battery, while the x1 has a 6 cell battery... is this a big deal? Can batteries be upgraded?

Stealth

Looks like you traded a faster processor for one with a bigger on-board cache and faster RAM. The 6cell battery won't hold as much of a charge as a 9cell, but you should be able to order a 9cell if you want. Overall, the differences aren't enough to be worried about, I'd say.

Zapages

Don't ever buy Asus dude... I would cancel your order man... Buy something else. Seriously its not worth buying them after my experience...

Read this thread before buying an Asus Laptop: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366873

Be warned of their bad customer service...

PS: I still haven't received AC Adapter and Power cables. It has been over 2 weeks since I gotten my laptop, yet I can't do anything with it... :*(

PBY

Banned
Stealth said:
Looks like you traded a faster processor for one with a bigger on-board cache and faster RAM. The 6cell battery won't hold as much of a charge as a 9cell, but you should be able to order a 9cell if you want. Overall, the differences aren't enough to be worried about, I'd say.
Again, thanks for all the help.. Can someone explain a little bit to me what the bolded part means?

PBY

Banned
LethaL ImpuLse said:
Asus are one of the top in the market dude. I can't speak for their laptops but their netbooks are top-notch.
Yeah, i've scoured the interwebs for product reviews on this thing, and while there are obviously gonna be some duds, consumer reviews are overwhemingly positive- it just seems like the above poster got unlucky

In your first post, why do you list the one computer having two processors?

Is there supposed to be a space in there somewhere? Or did you doubly list the specss or something?

asus is making some of the most reliable and well-built notebooks for the price these days. i have the second laptop you listed and it's been rock solid.

PBY

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
In your first post, why do you list the one computer having two processors?

Is there supposed to be a space in there somewhere?
Maybe, it clearly has just one processor- I got the specs from an ebay seller, so its very probable they made a mistake

peterb0y said:
Maybe, it clearly has just one processor- I got the specs from an ebay seller, so its very probable they made a mistake

I was just confused at if there were two laptops at the very top. But thanks for the clarification.

If I remember from my Intel readings the Core 2 Due P series is relatively new...however unfortunately another new series is about to release (or either already coming to market in a few weeks)

3MB cache is superior in the first one.

PBY

Banned
I was just confused at if there were two laptops at the very top. But thanks for the clarification.

If I remember from my Intel readings the Core 2 Due P series is relatively new...however unfortunately another new series is about to release (or either already coming to market in a few weeks)

3MB cache is superior in the first one.
So you would stick with the first one, the one i bought?

comrade

If you don't know what any of the stuff means you won't notice a difference. The laptops are pretty similar.

vertopci

Zapages said:
Don't ever buy Asus dude... I would cancel your order man... Buy something else. Seriously its not worth buying them after my experience...

Read this thread before buying an Asus Laptop: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366873

Be warned of their bad customer service...

PS: I still haven't received AC Adapter and Power cables. It has been over 2 weeks since I gotten my laptop, yet I can't do anything with it... :*(

Dude, call them up again. ASUS is amazing. I RMAed my mobo and and when they couldn't fix it, they sent me a brand spanking new one. Not only that, but they sent me the successor to the mobo I used to have. The mobo also came with a free game.

ASUS rules. Try calling them up again, I'm sure they will sort it out.

drkOne

Had a quick look, I think the one you got is the best. But I only checked general stuff.
Anyway, even if it isn't, you wouldn't really notice any difference.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The first one has a better processor. The Core2Duo line are faster than the Centrino processors. Stick with the first one.

Yazus

Yeah
-Newer Processor (3MB)
-Lighter
-DDR3 > DDR2
- 7200RPM HD > 5400 RPM HD

This. The processors are pretty similar but I'd say the first one is better, also DDR3 is better and 7200RPM helps. They are pretty much similar anyways.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Protips:

- CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, Screen Resolution. Stop copy pasting all that other shite.

- There's no such thing as a gaming laptop. These are notebooks.

Ettie

Yeah
-Newer Processor (3MB)
-Lighter
-DDR3 > DDR2
- 7200RPM HD > 5400 RPM HD

First one is fine. Faster HD is key for getting your textures on the screen fast enough to keep from chugging.

Superman00

Liverpool01
I think you should stick with the first one. I been looking at these 2 laptop for a while. I'm gonna get the 1st one also.

Take the 7200 RPM one. You'll notice the difference there alone. Not so much in gaming (loading times aside), but in general use the faster HDD will make a big difference.

Oli

K.Jack said:
Protips:

- CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, Screen Resolution. Stop copy pasting all that other shite.

- There's no such thing as a gaming laptop. These are notebooks.

Pretty much.

It's nice to have the option of playing some games on your laptop, but ultimately if you want to get into PC gaming you'll need a desktop computer.

That said, if you're willing to sacrifice a little here and there and keep the option of playing a few power-lite games then you aught to be happy with the one you bought.

There's always going to be better deals than the one you went with. It's usually best to just accept the choice you made and move on, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy.

Zapages

peterb0y said:
Yeah, i've scoured the interwebs for product reviews on this thing, and while there are obviously gonna be some duds, consumer reviews are overwhemingly positive- it just seems like the above poster got unlucky

The product reviews are going to be awesome... They were the same for my laptop, before something bad happened. That's when I had to deal with customer support. :|

vertopci said:
Dude, call them up again. ASUS is amazing. I RMAed my mobo and and when they couldn't fix it, they sent me a brand spanking new one. Not only that, but they sent me the successor to the mobo I used to have. The mobo also came with a free game.

ASUS rules. Try calling them up again, I'm sure they will sort it out.

I've called so many times... They have been very rude or not caring at all to me. I mean:

1) They told me that they will wait till Monday to receive the missing stuff. I never did.
1) Then they promised that I'll get a call back by the end of day... I never did. This occurred twice.
2) They gave me a fake RMA number and told me to wait till the Monday to receive the product. I received nothing... When I called they told me the RMA number does not work aka it was fake. :(
3) Then they told me that they sent it out, but no tracking number at all. I still haven't received it and it has been more than 2 weeks since the problem started. Also more than week since they supposedly sent it out.

They sent you a new mobo!!! Wow! How did you make them send you a new Mobo? I mean honestly I live in the US and I mean Asus USA customer support must just suck...

All this happened while the laptop was still under a year of warrenty. Also they make you pay for the box that you place laptop in from fedex... They have slow shipping back the product to you... They say on their site that they will send your laptop very fast ie 2 day shipping... All that BS as that is your laptop to them. Then it takes forever to get your laptop back.

From what I've noticed they have different groups doing areas of their customer service. Just be aware of that.

They make great products, but their customer service for laptop is below poor.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/ASUS

Aside from this, check their online customer support reviews through before buying from them...

Superman00

Liverpool01
Oli said:
Pretty much.

It's nice to have the option of playing some games on your laptop, but ultimately if you want to get into PC gaming you'll need a desktop computer.

That said, if you're willing to sacrifice a little here and there and keep the option of playing a few power-lite games then you aught to be happy with the one you bought.

There's always going to be better deals than the one you went with. It's usually best to just accept the choice you made and move on, otherwise you'll drive yourself crazy.

You do know that this laptop can play most of the current games at medium to high setting right?

Ledsen

Oli said:
Pretty much.

What are you talking about? Unless you need to play the latest Crysis on Very High or Ultra, a good laptop is perfectly fine for gaming.

1-D_FTW

I admittedly haven't spent a lot of time looking at those specs, but if the only differences are a new model processor (But similiar speeds) and DDR3 over DDR2 and 7200HD over 5400HD (all minor in the grand scheme). I'd go with the second.

The first one seems to have a native resolution of 1680 x 1050. If you're gonna be gaming (and don't wanna have it look like poo by switching to non-native), I'd go with the second. Needing to render 1764000 pixels vs 1049000 is a HUGE gap in terms of performance.

Oli said:
Pretty much.

This statement is a disgrace to PC gaming.

F

finskninja

Unconfirmed Member
Dont ever buy Fujitsu Siemens and you are good to go ;) I made that misstake, impossible to play any games that involve 3d. Overheating like hell. BTW a does anyone else have issues with laptops and games like WoW? Perhaps just ATI that sucks on laptopgfx.

Hazaro said:
9800M GS is a fine card, enough to call it a gaming notebook.

Its a slightly underclocked desktop 9600gt right?

That's a pretty damn decent card if you ask me, especially at 1360x768.

Shambles

Uhhhh having a smaller resolution is never a good thing. Having a higher resolution gives you more workspace for day to day stuff. You can set what resolution games run at so you can always turn settings down if performance sucks.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Anyone know any good laptop review sites or sites that cover the laptop market and so on?

I need to buy a laptop shortly, and would just like to get on top of what's available and who's 'best' right now.

1-D_FTW

Shambles said:
Uhhhh having a smaller resolution is never a good thing. Having a higher resolution gives you more workspace for day to day stuff. You can set what resolution games run at so you can always turn settings down if performance sucks.

Let's keep some perspective. 1360 isn't exactly small for a 15 inch screen. I mean, maybe if you were born 5 years ago. I remember when I first went on the internet. It was 640*480. Then when I made the bump to 800*600, it was awesome. Then again to 1024*768. Since then, it's been one big whoop. Usually just results in small text with lots of empty space. And running an LCD in its non-native resolution is a blurry mess.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Oli said:
Pretty much.

No.

You've mistaken what I was saying. It is a gaming notebook, so I was just pointing out that calling these enthusiast machines 'gaming laptops' is a misnomer.

You're underestimating the mobile gaming scene. We're just getting into the 48xx and G200 generations, and the gap will be closing even more within the next year.

gofreak said:
Anyone know any good laptop review sites or sites that cover the laptop market and so on?

I need to buy a laptop shortly, and would just like to get on top of what's available and who's 'best' right now.
Come over to Notebookreview.

Shoot me a PM here with what your looking for, and I'll help you find the right machine.

The only PC gaming you need a desktop for is playing high end FPS games with all of the settings on high. For everything else, a decent laptop is more than powerful enough.

Top Bottom