• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Laptop is Better- (Did I just buy the shittier one?!?)

Shambles

1-D_FTW said:
Let's keep some perspective. 1360 isn't exactly small for a 15 inch screen. I mean, maybe if you were born 5 years ago. I remember when I first went on the internet. It was 640*480. Then when I made the bump to 800*600, it was awesome. Then again to 1024*768. Since then, it's been one big whoop. Usually just results in small text with lots of empty space. And running an LCD in its non-native resolution is a blurry mess.

It's true it does depend on your eyesight and personal preference. I prefer tiny text and all that sort that allows me to be able to squish more things on my screen at once. I can understand how that may give other headaches or is simply not preferred. Right now I'm sporting a laptop with a crippled 7600 Go with 128mb of VRAM so everything new-ish is a blurry mess for me as I have to run it at the lowest resolution possible. :D

K.Jack said:
No.

You've mistaken what I was saying. It is a gaming notebook, so I was just pointing out that calling these enthusiast machines 'gaming laptops' is a misnomer.

You're underestimating the mobile gaming scene. We're just getting into the 48xx and G200 generations, and the gap will be closing even more within the next year.

Some laptops might sport video card with the same name as their desktop counterparts but they almost never are the same chip and for the price of a laptop that is comparable to a decently powered desktop you'd get more and spend less by building a gaming desktop and buying a medium strength laptop. The more advanced chips get the larger thae gap gets. Within the next year both the 5*** series and the G300 chips will be released and even the best mobile parts won't be comparible.

4870 mobile = 4830/4850 desktop card
GTX 280M = 9800GT/GTX
GTX 260M = 9800GT

And the only "laptops" you'll get with these chips are the 17"+ monsters that will feel like you're carrying around a full desktop anyways. The mobile gaming scene has always been the red-headed stepchild of PC gaming.

I have the same model G50VT-X5 you just bought, purchased mine new from Best Buy. I believe the specs you posted might be a misprint, as mine came with a 9 cell battery. I get about 3 1/2 hours out of it when I'm not gaming (forget about gaming off battery power alone, you're looking at 45 minutes tops).

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Shambles said:
Some laptops might sport video card with the same name as their desktop counterparts but they almost never are the same chip and for the price of a laptop that is comparable to a decently powered desktop you'd get more and spend less by building a gaming desktop and buying a medium strength laptop. The more advanced chips get the larger thae gap gets. Within the next year both the 5*** series and the G300 chips will be released and even the best mobile parts won't be comparible.

4870 mobile = 4830/4850 desktop card
GTX 280M = 9800GT/GTX
GTX 260M = 9800GT

And the only "laptops" you'll get with these chips are the 17"+ monsters that will feel like you're carrying around a full desktop anyways. The mobile gaming scene has always been the red-headed stepchild of PC gaming.
You're preaching to the choir mang. First off, mobile gaming is about necessity or luxury, so pricing vs. desktop is obvious, yet irrelevant to those who need it. Nvidia and Intel have been raping us, no doubt. Ugh, especially Intel.

About your equations, the true 4870 with GDDR5 will be out soon, and the Radeon Mobility 4850 is a true 4850, with lower clocks. The GTX 280/260 are renames, yes, but the current crop of G200 cards are genuine 40nm 200 series chips, which were reverted from desktop to mobile lines. ATi's 40nm DX11 chips will also hit the mobile scene first, so there's definitely a shift taking place. Yes, the desktop machine will still be more powerful, but the fact that we'll have the power of a GTX 260 in mobile form within the next 6-8 months isn't to be laughed at. I'm not saying we've caught up, but serious strides are being made, and the mobile side is being taken more seriously.

The good tech isn't only limited to 17"+ machines. My 15.4" Clevo, with its GTX 260M and ~3Ghz Core 2 Duo, is no slouch. With Intel going 32nm and the GPU makers going 40nm, even future 13-14" notebooks will be able to house competent gaming components.

Top Bottom