• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which member had the best exit on GAF Or: A Very Happy GAF History Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.
siddx said:
It's because you have a strong sense of right and wrong and you are willing to stand up for yourself. You are going to get "piled on" due to that fact regardless of your gender. There have been times when I was one of the first to post in a thread with a strongly worded opinion that seemingly set the entire site against me. I don't even remember the topic but there was one case in particular where I though people were going to PM me death threats. Most people talk on here with a hint of hyperbole that can make them seem more extreme than they really are. They also often have to "yell" a little louder and meaner to be heard under the crush of opinions and posts. It isn't personal (or at least it shouldn't be).

It's gotten personal due to forces outside of GAF but I don't want to get into it on here.

bengraven

This thread does remind me that we are missing more of the female presence these days.

It's asking for trouble in that there are going to be white knights and shit, but I always felt it helped discussion to have another voice.

And besides, I'm happily married and would never flirt with a female GAFfer so maybe it's just easy for me to say. :p

RustyNails said:
You can thank me for your new tag. I made that thread in which you got tagged :p

You son of a bitc---

Ah, it's okay. Fuck it. Apparently it gets a lot of laughs, so I'm okay with it.

CruxisMana said:
I know what I'm doing for the next hour.

You should. It was the first time I had a seperate bookmark for an individual thread. It was just a lot of fun and something to look forward to every day.

Later I made bookmarks for other things like the SPREAD compilation, Skyrim info, etc, but it was my first.

jakncoke said:
Word. Minus the trolling it really could work out and something to do.

Maybe we can talk Mike into trying it again. Or someone can do a similar style of thread.

not me, I'm not fishing for "permission" to do one because I could never come up with creative activities every day.

TommyT

EviLore said:
The toaster fleshlight idea looks dangerous, dude, I advise against it.

Na, you gotta wrap it in a tortilla. This way, it isn't taking up as much space as a slice of bread, but you're still protected and retain that nice warm feeling around you.

siddx said:
Speaking of tags, there are a few posters on here whose tags I came up with...which makes me proud and drunk with non existent power. I made some thread one day where I just spent the whole day assigning short descriptions to random posters until my brains melted and a few of those descriptions ended up as tags.

Try me ;)

ZZMitch

After reading through this whole thread I have come to the conclusion that Mike Works is my favorite poster. He has done some pretty funny shit at least according to this thread.

Amir0x said:
Absolutely!

The one thing everyone should know about me is that when I am engaging you in a discussion it means I respect you unless I explicitly say otherwise. I only talk with people I respect in some way.

Yeah, in retrospect I used the I'm not arguing with a mod backing out of the conversation too much in the Battle LA thread. I just figured I was about to get decapitated, in the future I'll keep on. :)

I did like the way the Osama Bin Laden thread was simple rule of keep the Politics to Poli GAF, and you never did just straight ban someone unless they kept ignoring that.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I think that moderation got better in the last year or so.
Even the OGs like Amir0x got better.

Theyre more open to talk about stuff and theres a nice community feeling with them now.
(And not the classic "MODS POSTING IN THE THREAD!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!")
They seem more fair now. I havent seen a 'random ban' in a while.

ciaossu said:
I wish I could see a screencap of every thread being titled 'Nintendogs'

That's how a pro gets demodded

But Nintendogs belongs in the OT

Gaming is for games

(I wish I could have been there for this kinda shit, hahah)

TommyT

Fersis said:
I think that moderation got better in the last year or so.
Even the OGs like Amir0x got better.

Theyre more open to talk about stuff and theres a nice community feeling with them now.
(And not the classic 'MODS POSTING IN THE THREAD!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!")

Which is kind of funny because that is what happened for a few minutes once EvilLore posted in here. Then everyone was like "oh he's being cool... play on!"

Varjet

Zeliard said:
Mike Works' thread was conceptually fantastic. Would be cool to see it brought back in some capacity.
It really was. What a brilliant setup :p
Green Scar said:
But Nintendogs belongs in the OT

Gaming is for games

(I wish I could have been there for this kinda shit, hahah)
Remember kids, if it sells over a million copies in Japan, it is clearly a non-game!

xbhaskarx

Drinky Crow said:
why is this even under discussion? the BEST exit was MAF's, by far: instead of the admins banning him for some evilore/hito image trolls, they, in their irritation, decided to make a minor change to the UBB code so he -- in a special group or profile category -- could create threads and post yet no-one but the mods could see his topics and remarks, like he was completely invisible. he quickly caught on to this and SPAMMED the forum with modbait posts, they banned him which flipped his account to a standard profile, and all of his troll threads suddenly became visible. THAT is how you go out. besides, he was deadminned for deleting some mod wah-wah thread (albeit a wah-wah thread from a then-mod personality i liked, jinx).

hard fuckin' core. free demi!

I don't even understand what any of this means.... and who is/was MAF?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Professor Beef said:
It's not like he can rely on strange women to barge into his home all the time.

I loved that thread so damn much.
He probably uses a rolled up copy of Game Informer.

Don't ban me, bro!

Fersis said:
(And not the classic "MODS POSTING IN THE THREAD!! RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!!")
They seem more fair now. I havent seen a 'random ban' in a while.

True, I really don't see a mod popping up in a thread as generally being any different from another poster.

Corto

xbhaskarx said:
I don't even understand what any of this means.... and who is/was MAF?

Mods created a different user profile (not member, junior or mod) with the limit of no one but himself could read his threads and post in it (off course). He then noticed that started creating crazy insulting threads to bait the mods, mods proceed to ban him and in the process his threads became visible for the rest of the populace.

Garjon said:
Yep, linking to the splinter forums has always been bannable (see above). I always wondered why it took so long to sticky the thread, perhaps to avoid the sort of situations described above. It's good that the whole affair seems to have been put behind you; I don't often post in the current footie thread but I do enjoy reading it.

To be honest I don't post too often myself & it was a couple of years ago, the sad thing is we lost a few decent posters( & the football thread has recovered so its all good now), it was funny seeing all the juniors join up & moan that the thread was dead after they had to wait to be able to post in it, though.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Well, since we're having a discussion on which mods got de-modded, I'd like to know about some non-mods that got modded, like EatChildren. How did that happen?

Amir0x

Banned
Oblivion said:
Well, since we're having a discussion on which mods got de-modded, I'd like to know about some non-mods that got modded, like EatChildren. How did that happen?

Every so often as the forum grows Evilore says "maybe it's time to nominate some new mods." We mods/admins discuss amongst ourselves different members who represents aspects we think would make good mods. In the latest batch Minsc and EatChildren got a lot of mentions.

Solo

Oblivion said:

They sent nudes to Evilore. The standard procedure.

Aeana

Oblivion said:
As far as I know, current mods nominate people for modship and sometimes they're chosen.

ZZMitch

Amir0x said:
i was modded when Shadow of the Colossus came out

Huh, well maybe another mod whose name begins with an A got modded around when I was joining two years ago.

I could just be crazy though.

Dennis

Banned
Amir0x said:
Every so often as the forum grows Evilore says "maybe it's time to nominate some new mods." We mods/admins discuss amongst ourselves different members who represents aspects we think would make good mods. In the latest batch Minsc and EatChildren got a lot of mentions.
You know, I always liked you Amir0x.

Since we're talking forum history, didn't the BlackCulture thread have a really different name? Did it and who changed it? I know I'm not nuts thinking it was something radically different.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
ZZMitch said:
:lol

old school search is dead. Never to return.

#2 on the agenda is getting search back. Just gotta do some troublesome software updates beforehand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom