• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

which version of winamp to upgrade to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

what's the best (read: most efficient) version of winamp could i upgrade from 2.91? and does winamp play wma files? im trying to with my current version, but it's not working...hence the upgrade question. i need one single audio player to play all diffrent types of audio files that i have.

Diablos

I'm sick of all the Winamp5 hate. Maybe your computer just sucks. WA5 doesn't hog resources at all, and WTF is all this crap I hear about it sending your playlists to companies? Umm, no.

What dope would use 2.xx instead of 5? Winamp 5 is 2.xx with new features and the ability to use Winamp3 skins. It's not any more of a resource hog if you use Winamp 2 skins. It's only slower if you use skins for 3, or the default Modern skin.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I was on 2.9 all through 3 because 3 sucked so hard.

I shifted up to 5 a couple of months ago and haven't looked back. It's great. Using it now, actually, with that cool FireFox plug in.

Diablos

Error Macro said:
What dope would use 2.xx instead of 5? Winamp 5 is 2.xx with new features and the ability to use Winamp3 skins. It's not any more of a resource hog if you use Winamp 2 skins. It's only slower if you use skins for 3, or the default Modern skin.

The sad thing is people with 2 gigs of RAM and a 3.0GHz Processor with hyperthreading bitch and moan because WA5 takes up too many resources with the default skin :lol

Mejilan said:
I was on 2.9 all through 3 because 3 sucked so hard.

I shifted up to 5 a couple of months ago and haven't looked back. It's great. Using it now, actually, with that cool FireFox plug in.

Whatt?? where can I get this?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Mozilla's website. You can dl an extension that adds the back, forward, play, stop, load WMP2 / WMP5 compatible commands to the bottom of your browser. Pretty sweet, especially if you don't care about track names and like to keep WMP minimized at all times.

nitewulf

Semjaza Azazel said:
I thought the full version of Winamp 2.9 supported WMA?

yeah i just figured that, i'm pretty sure i d/led the no frills version, i just hate getting cluttered w/ skins, visualizations, plug ins etc...i only have 3 very selected skins that i love, which are working with 5, so i'm set..and of course it's playing WMA as d/led the version with more options for audio/video playback.

El Papa

I'm using 5.03 with the Non-Step Skin, the most functional skin ever. It's the only skin I've used at length since 3.

Not de-railing the conversation or anything, but give iTunes a shot too. If you have over 10,000 songs like me, it's library management is a dream. But yeah, WinAMP 5 owns. It's portable, supports every format, and uses no resources.

calder

I resisted at first, but Winamp 5.x does rock. I use it at work for the global hotkeys so I can control it while working on stuff, and at home I finally started using the media library and it really does help find stuff to play (old stuff I haven't listened to in a while, stuff my wife d/l but I didn't know anything about).

With any moderately modern comp I don't see it being a resource hog at all.

dem

Winamp5 is takes up too much room on my screen.... those default skins I mean. I use winamp5.. just with a 2.whatever skins.

Not really much of an advantage for me anyway... I dont use that library crap.

I use Winamp 5 but only with 2.x skins. Winamp takes a second or two to load stuff with modern skins but it's nearly instantaneous without. I double click and it immediately plays.

FightyF

Banned
I'd use winamp 5 if it supported Pitchfork (pitch tool). I haven't found any effect as good as pitchfork for w5...so I stick with 2.80

Culex

Banned
I like how when Winamp 5 first came out, one of the features they touted was "Things actually work!".

That had me laughing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom