• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which would be more beneficial to my PC gaming?

KarishBHR

An MSI Radeon 9800pro that can be easily overclocked to an 9800XT (it's literally an underclocked XT with 128mb of ram)

OR

A Powercolor 9800se that has a chance of becoming a 9800pro by unlocking the extra 4 pipes... its about 65/35 chances

+

A Shuttle NForce 2 Motherboard

I ask because my current PC gets bad read and right benchmarks... coming in at just below an Athlon 2100+XP with an NForce 2 board, while I have an Athlon 2800+XP with a KT400 board. I wanna play FarCry and Doom 3, HL2, exc.... I may eventually get the motherboard if I choose the MSI, so which one is more immediatley bennificial?

teiresias

I'd guess the graphics card update would be more beneificial given you have a GeForce4 MX. I haven't had time to read up on the mobo's though - gotta get to work.

Mrbob

I'm a bit confused. Why do you want to upgrade your mobo? Anyway, spend the extra 50 bucks on the 9800PRO. Doom 3, HL2, and Farcry will thank you.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
MX = teh suck!

If you absolutly want the best framerates, go with the 9800pro
otherwise the other 2 should show vast improvments

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Geforce 4 MX is like Geforce 2 with a 4 MX slapped on.

9800 Pro will make worlds of difference.

Top Bottom