• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are these 4X DVD-Rs burning at a max of 1X on the Mac here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

We had a spindle of Verbatim 2X DVD-R for General which burnt sucessfully at ... well, 2X.

Since then they've purchased me some Verbatim 4X DVD-R for General spindles, and Toast only wants to burn these at 1X.

... why?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Obviously your superdrive isn't 4x.

How come in OSX, none of my DVD-/+Rs are recognized as movies. Sh!t, they're not recognized at all I don't think.

toohectic

Every disc has a mediaID and some other stuff that tells the drive what the media is capable of. I'm guessing your drive doesn't recognize your current media, so it's defaulting to 1X. You probably need to update your drive's firmware to get it to recognize all the latest media.

goodcow

Shouldn't 4X discs default to 2X on a 2X SuperDrive rather than 1X? And isn't the fireware the highest because Software Update doesn't have any updates?

toohectic

Well.. perhaps it doesn't recognize that the disk is a 4X disk, so therefore it wouldn't know that it's compatible at 2X. For all it knows, the disc could be a 1X disc only.

I don't have a Mac, but doing a quick search on "Apple Superdrive Firmware", I found this page: http://www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive/

Do you have that update installed?

goodcow

toohectic said:
Well.. perhaps it doesn't recognize that the disk is a 4X disk, so therefore it wouldn't know that it's compatible at 2X. For all it knows, the disc could be a 1X disc only.

I don't have a Mac, but doing a quick search on "Apple Superdrive Firmware", I found this page: http://www.apple.com/hardware/superdrive/

Do you have that update installed?

Yes, I have that installed.

The Mac just wants to fuck with me in every single way possible since I hate it so.

Phoenix

goodcow said:
Yes, I have that installed.

The Mac just wants to fuck with me in every single way possible since I hate it so.

In your extra time since it only burns at 1x, perhaps you can help out that guy whose machine was screwed up by SP2 ;)

Phoenix

goodcow said:
Shouldn't 4X discs default to 2X on a 2X SuperDrive rather than 1X? And isn't the fireware the highest because Software Update doesn't have any updates?

Since I couldn't prod Goodcow into responding I guess I'll actually have to answer the question :)When Pioneer made your drive, more than likely this was during the dark days when 2x burning wasn't yet sanctioned by the DVD standards body - hence the reason why is nigh impossible to order 2x media from a manufacturer of DVDs - they simply don't make them anymore. Pioneer made a firmware update for the 103 and 104s that allow them to burn 4x DVDs at 2x. If you have a drive older than that - unfortunately Pioneer didn't see fit to make a firmware to upgrade those drives and as such they don't understand 2x burning on media that identify themselves as >2x and will fall back to 1x burning. The only thing you can do is use 2x media in them (provided you are on a 101 or 102 drive) as Pioneer never made a firmware update for those older drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom