• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are women drawn to men behind bars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude Abides

Banned
this guy sounds like he was well known in his country. famous people get attention from weirdos. i don't think every inmate has lots of women trying to get to know him.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kinitari said:
That is a weird fetish, I wonder if it works in reverse... like... if famous female killers behind bars have guys sending them fanmail and shit.
I think not. The appeal is for ultra-masculine traits of aggression and social dominance. The fantasy version of femininity would be something different than prisoners..

News Bot

Banned
It's just an attraction thing. I would guess it is similar in nature to paedophilia and necrophilia and so on in terms of how it works on a mental/physical level. The whole "taming" thing women have. Just taken to an extreme.

So, coming from a perspective of evolutionary psychology(an amateur, full disclosure), I haven't been able to quite pick this phenomenon out. I think it's too universal to write off as what the 'crazy' ladies do. The majority of women find stable, responsible men to hang around with, but even then I think a taste for 'bad boys' is practically a ubiquitous experience for teenage girls, whether or not they fulfill it.

So, the next question is: Is this cultural, or biological? I think that answering in the former forces the question 'then why is it so universal'? Romeo & Juliet is basically a bad boy story; consequently practically every love story afterwards is too. On the other hand though, if it's biological, what's the mechanism? More directly: Why would being attracted to a 'bad boy'(however one may attempt to define this attraction in more tangible terms) increase the rate of successful reproduction and child rearing(or, conversely, maybe just survival?) in the ancestral environment, and in a way that is consistent and significant enough to warrant instilling such a passion in all of humanity?

Medalion

Banned
Why are girls attracted to Vampires and werewolves?

They are about as bad as it gets, if they weren't the idealized pretty boy versions of them

xbhaskarx

So basically all the socially awkward virgins in Girl-GAF should become killers. And then get caught, convicted, and jailed.

apana

You guys are acting like every woman you know is hitting up the local prison for a little action. Besides, while I understand the evolutionary underpinnings of the whole attraction towards "agressive/dominant" males I think some of you are way too quick to categorize all male female relationships within the context of the alpha beta male dichotomy. I think there is more than one factor at play here.

Az987

all good things
Medalion said:
Why are girls attracted to Vampires and werewolves?

They are about as bad as it gets, if they weren't the idealized pretty boy versions of them

Hmm...

So if I tell a girl I'm a vampire werewolf who just got out of prison I'm set?

entremet

apana said:
You guys are acting like every woman you know is hitting up the local prison for a little action. Besides, while I understand the evolutionary underpinnings of the whole attraction towards "agressive/dominant" males I think some of you are way too quick to categorize all male female relationships within the context of the alpha beta male dichotomy. I think there is more than one factor at play here.
Exactly. There are weirdos on both side of the gender coin.

Bishman

Snaku said:
lzvBy.jpg
I'm sitting here rolling looking at this picture.

daffy

Banned
Slavik81 said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Slavik81/veinom_mai-valentine-and-the-harpies.jpg[IMG]
?[/QUOTE]
ahhh :lol I goofed. well like you guys said desperation and all that. guys do it too.

actually on wikipedia harpies are defined as ugly bird women that snatch stuff. so not too far off

entrement said:
Exactly. There are weirdos on both side of the gender coin.

I'll agree with that 100%. Although in general, I would say it's a safer bet to say that a guy wants a good looking girl that's not a bitch, than to start to think anyone knows what girls want. I have compiled a list to help explain this.

What girls say they want = What they really want

- Don't care about looks = He better be good looking
- I want a nice guy = I want an asshole
- I want a guy with stability = I want a fuckup who I can try to fix (then complain to everyone how all guys are the same because I can't)
- I want a guy with a good personality = I want money, material goods, fame
- I want a guy that's physically fit = I want a black guy
- I want a guy that works hard to provide for his family = I want him to be at home with me 24/7 (or I'll be pushed towards a man with no good qualities)
- I want a family man = I want a criminal

Is this a meme yet?

Chuckie

Al-ibn Kermit said:
It's easy to see how some women may be attracted to a man stuck in prison as he would be more desperate to obey her and be easier to manipulate.

They pretty much stopped obeying once they got out though :/

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Captain Sparrow said:
I'll agree with that 100%. Although in general, I would say it's a safer bet to say that a guy wants a good looking girl that's not a bitch, than to start to think anyone knows what girls want. I have compiled a list to help explain this.

- I want a guy with stability = I want a fuckup who I can try to fix (then complain to everyone how all guys are the same because I can't)
- I want a guy that works hard to provide for his family = I want him to be at home with me 24/7 (or I'll be pushed towards a man with no good qualities)

Is this a meme yet?

Wat.

BLagiver

Banned
Satchel said:
Why do guys go for looks over personality?
Guys are not really that picky when push comes to shove we like the opposite sex. Women are the major problem in relationships in this day and age. To many expectations leading them to some play boy rockstar that cant count the number of women he has been with on his 2 hands.

Captain Sparrow said:

Is this a meme yet?

Gee, I wonder why someone wouldn't want to date someone who thinks about them in this way? It's a mystery.

vordhosbn

Banned
SolKane said:
Women go for alphas, naturally. OP is a beta and doesn't get it.
SolKane said:
If I knew that I wouldn't be a fat, unemployed slob.
Funny, I would say you are textbook omega. Stop projecting.

entrement said:
Man, so many bitter people. Women aren't some hivemind, guys.
Don't be so alarmist. You think anyone here is actually jealous of these weirdos?

It seems inevitable any topic about women will bring forth white knights and butthurt women without any coherent critiques.

Ambiguous Cad said:
Gee, I wonder why someone wouldn't want to date someone who thinks about them in this way? It's a mystery.

You just need to get rejected a bunch of times for not fitting into what they think should be a man, resulting in plummeting self-esteem, which naturally leads to a negative perception of the opposite sex.

Satch

Banned
vordhosbn said:
You just need to get rejected a bunch of times for not fitting into what they think should be a man, resulting in plummeting self-esteem, which naturally leads to a negative perception of the opposite sex.
The low self-esteem is something easy for others to read. You should work on that (if this is you we're talking about here). Looking for a self-esteem boost from somebody that's the opposite sex isn't going to work, because many women don't like a man that doesn't have self-esteem, and so you're probably going to continue being rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom