• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why F-Zero X is better than GX (in the words of another poster)

This was posted by WarpZone at the TNL forums. You can read the thread here: F-Zero Thread

Originally posted by: WarpZone

I'm going a little against the grain here and giving a big fat huzzah to X. It is probably my favorite racing game, and I think GX is a significant step backward where it counts.

Some of the reasons I like X more:

-Track design.
X has much more diversity and focus in its tracks. Perhaps most noticable is that many of the tracks actually have challenging corners. In GX, challenging corners are very rare, often regulated to the last track in each cup! Many of the others in GX are crazy fast "wind tunnel"-esque courses. Yeah, some of those are nice, and X has a couple too, but GX is overloaded with them. Too many tubes, too many boring straightaways. It's more about boost memorization than actual racing skill and cornering ability. And when GX does have corners, often they are designed unintuitively- it seems to "curve" in the wrong direction more often than not. Though it's a subtle detail at first, it's not present in X.

Also, there's a certain appeal in racing along a track that doesn't just look like a crazy roller-coaster of death, but actually feels like one when you play it. GX lacks a lot of this sense of death-defying as you play- I read comments from a lot of people that they begin to feel 'numb' to the loops and twists in GX's tracks...often only noticing how impressive the course is during replays. In X, the course somehow just feels more entertaining and amazing while it's being played.

-Graphics and general aesthetics
I would also give X the nod here. It sports a cohesive "comic book" look that gives the game a refreshing appearance alongside other racing games. The menu screens are all done in a stylized, 2D-ish flavor (complete with cheesy transition effects between menus!), and a slick, no-bull look to the actual tracks and backdrops. Everything's fast, but everything's also clean.

By contrast, GX's art style seems considerably more ambiguous. At times, character and menu art direction borders on generic, and lacks that feeling of cohesion. The tracks themselves are incredibly detailed, yes, but almost too much so- neon signs, towers and crap alongside the track makes things feel somewhat messy. In a sense, it just feels closer to Wipeout and Extreme-G now, filling tracks with "decorative" polygonal side attractions, losing the unique touch that X engineered.

-Music.
I know not everyone might care for some of X's guitar solos and general sound to the music, but I think it felt more slickly done. A lot of GX tunes feel, well, as messy as the graphics. Just too rough for the tone and nature to the game.

-Collision and AI
GX has too much awkward collision detection and suspicous physics behavior- it's far too easy to be cheaply bumped off the track, crying out "WTF??". I've heard horror stories of flying right through a tube and out into oblivion, and getting lodged between Mute City's pink neon railings wasn't too fun. I never had these problems to this extent with X, and they just make GX harder to play for long periods.

-Random track generator.
X has one, GX doesn't. Nuff said. GX does have more "regular" tracks if you count the AX cup, but most of those aren't necessarily more impressive than any others in the game.

Yes, GX has more "content". It has more characters, more modes, more unlockables, more music (theme songs for everybody!!!), etc. But it has less of the most important thing: the finely tuned, polished gameplay and track design of X. And ultimately, this is why I come back to X instead of GX.

Since the general opinion on these two games is something like, "X was pretty shitty, but yeah, GX is great!", it's good to see someone who has spent a good amount of time with both games and is able to see X's strengths (though I disagree with him about the music and art). I truly think that most people who discounted X only played it for a very short amount of time. I know the first time I played X I didn't give it much of a shot because I was horrified by the graphics and music, and that was back when the game was brand new. But when I got over my shock of how much uglier looking and sounding X was to the great SNES original, I was able to play it without any blinders and saw how truly great the track design really was. Something I don't think GX matched.

What say you guys?

olimario

Banned
X gets the nod in music and features, GX in everything else.
I wish GX had battle mode and track customization.

impirius

I was almost with him up until he gave F-Zero X the nod in graphics. Whuh?

X is one of my all-time favorite racers. The track design and sense of speed were outstanding, and it had some very nice features (random track, Death Race, etc.). GX's tracks aren't quite as good, but I think the control and presentation are enough put it over X. They're both excellent.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
f-zero x:
+ amusing synth buttrock
- it sucks

f zero gx:
+ nice graphics
- it sucks

i give the nod to x as well.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
As far as I remember, X had better control and definately more enjoayable track design than GX. I was also more satisfying to crash-out the other racers...in GX its mostly randomly spinning around the track. X seemed to rely more on skill.

Alex

I'm all for giving nods to game visuals for better/more cohesive art design, but saying F-Zero X is a better looking package than GX is all kinds of stupid.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Bah....

GX could have used a bit more twisty-curvy track designs, more 90 degree angles and less tube junk; but if you're looking to subscribe up for speed and car smashing thrills(before Burnout 3 releases) GX IS your game.

It most certainly does not suck.

Wow, even more people agreeing with him on the music. I'm a metal fan (Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Children of Bodom, In Flames, etc are great IMO) and I HATE X's soundtrack. I also love electronic music and absolutely adore GX's soundtrack. One of the better racing soundtracks to ever come about if you ask me.

Ronin

F-Zero X's butt rock and comic style menus do it for me. I also loved the tracks more than the ones on GX despite them having more trackside detail. That said, F-Zero GX is still great.

Are people nuts! The soundtrack to GX is one of the best racing soundtracks in years!!!!

Not that X is bad or anything, but come on... it's all about the GX Mute City mix.

KAOS

Arrrgh! FZ GX > fsx...heck > than any other futuristic racer!

On the other hand Wave Race 64 >>> Wave Race:BS!

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Honestly, what kind of name is "RE4 vs. SH4"...? Especially when the answer is a no-brainer. RE4.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Gahiggidy said:
I was also more satisfying to crash-out the other racers...in GX its mostly randomly spinning around the track. X seemed to rely more on skill.
you have no idea... use the side attack.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
F Zero is one of the rare games Nintendo made that present a world in a non-childlike fashion. To me, the whole environment of the game felt rigid and dark-futuristic (I'm not going to be able to better describe this without a page of blabbering). And F Zero X took any good elements that the original had in any respect and urinated on them.

Through the fog and the crap-ass announcer and the bland, count-the-individual-textures-on-your-hands tracks, I saw nothing in F Zero X that I liked in F Zero. Except 30 racers on the track. Yipee.

F Zero GX retains some of the fruityness that X provided (those post-race interviews still really make me cringe) but it at least has a better look, sound, and environment which I find more retains the spirit of the original F Zero than X did.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
dog$ said:
F Zero GX retains some of the fruityness that X provided (those post-race interviews still really make me cringe)...
ahaha, that's what makes FZGX so great.

"Thanks for your words of enthusiasm!"

Originally posted by: Scrow

Honestly, what kind of name is "RE4 vs. SH4"...? Especially when the answer is a no-brainer. RE4.

I pretty much stopped playing games a year or two before the Dreamcast came out. Can't remember when exactly, I just know the Dreamcast hadn't been out yet. I still visited the GA forum once every couple weeks or so. I even picked up each of the current systems at one point, owned 1 game on each of them (Tekken Tag Tournament, Halo, and that Star Wars game respectively) before selling them. At the time I thought that I just couldn't have fun with games anymore.

Horror games were my favorite, even though there were only 3 good ones at the time: Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, and Silent Hill. Silent Hill was my favorite of the 3, but I knew Capcom would do something great to try to 1up it. I imagined what crazy new stuff Capcom would do with Resident Evil 3 to try to raise the scare bar that Silent Hill had set. When the game came out, though, I had already sold my Playstation, so I never got to play it.

I recently picked up a Gamecube again and have had a blast with Metroid Prime, Ikaruga, F-Zero, Pikmin, and Super Monkey Ball. Looks like the little black machine has restored my faith in games. And now with my interest in games back, I decided to let the rivalry between the two horror series continue to play out in my mind, this time with RE4 and SH4, since I missed RE3. I have a few friends that own PS2s and think I can convince at least one of them to buy SH4 (or at least rent it), and I'll definitely be getting RE4. It'll be intersting to see how these 2 series have progressed since I last played them.

That was a long explanation, but you asked!

Originally posted by: dog$

Through the fog and the crap-ass announcer and the bland, count-the-individual-textures-on-your-hands tracks, I saw nothing in F Zero X that I liked in F Zero. Except 30 racers on the track. Yipee.

That's what I was trying to say earlier. X is a great game, but so many people discount it once they see how it looks and sounds. Once you get over that you realize how great the gameplay is.

MoxManiac

People thought X sucked? I loved it, it was my favorite racer of the time.

And I liked the graphics. The detail was sparce, sure, but it was sweet, swwt 60fps, which more than made up for it.

Music rocked as well. Still my favorite soundtrack to a racer.

GX is great too.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
X is a great game, but so many people discount it once they see how it looks and sounds. Once you get over that you realize how great the gameplay is.
I was able to get over it for the original F Zero, but not for X.

And as I said in the TNL thread, GX has basically killed any reason for me to play the original for the rest of my life.

Vitten

Played all F-Zero games to death and F-Zero X will forever be my favourite.

GX may certainly look and sound a lot nicer than its N64 predecessor but it can't hold a candle to it when it comes to the gameplay.
FZX has so many cool stuff and hardcore techniques which you can only learn after MANY hours and make it so much fun: sliding, boostsliding, special dives giving insane speeds .. top stuff..

Compared with Sega's game which is full of shitty stuff like snaking, glitchy racing physics allowing shortcuts where you can just fly around though the air and cut off the entire track , weird floaty handling , boring track music it was a big step down for me.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I still haven't played F-Zero GX
cry.gif

Kudie

I think the one thing that GX lacked was good track design. Many of the tracks are simple; just play the first four tracks for the first cup. However, the last cup had some great tracks, as well as tracks like Aeropolis Metroplex, Mute City Aerial Gaps and Sand Ocean Lateral Shifts. Try timing your boosts and hitting all the boost pads without falling on the Sand Ocean Lateral Shifts course for one heck of a thrill ride. :D

One of the things that dissappoints me about the game was the complaint of many that the game was too hard. The only part of the game that I felt was too overly difficult was the Story Mode. The regular game was not too hard, and provided for some good A.I competition in the higher difficulties, should the player choose to challenge themselves by playing at the higher difficulties. I hope that this was not the primary reason behind the games lackluster sales.

FortNinety said:
Are people nuts! The soundtrack to GX is one of the best racing soundtracks in years!!!!

Not that X is bad or anything, but come on... it's all about the GX Mute City mix.

I guess I'm nuts then, because I think X's soundtrack obliterates that GX crap. Well ok, not crap compared to most games, but crap compared to X's music.

In fact, I particularly hate the Mute City and Big Blue remixes - they don't hold a candle to either the guitar arranged X songs or the n64 originals.

There is just no race in F-Zero GX. The other vehicles on the track hardly even matter. They all seem to move randomly. Almost never is there a slow approach behind one then a neck and neck ride down the track. The vehicles are either well ahead or far behind the player. No race, no drama.

The control of GX is also dissapointing. Left and Right turning has no dissernable acceleration, it feels completely digital. Same with the vehicle acceleration.

That is why for all the bullshit spewed out, Tube Slider is the better game. The control is much better and the competition incredibly fierce. TS is the only futuristic racer that has given me a sensation that taking a corner better or laying off the accelerator and jamming it back on actually changes the outcome of the race and improves my overall time. TS is like a sim racer for the futuristic crowd.

GX has better graphics and a much higher degree of polish for sure but TS is the better game.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Warm Machine said:
There is just no race in F-Zero GX. The other vehicles on the track hardly even matter. They all seem to move randomly. Almost never is there a slow approach behind one then a neck and neck ride down the track. The vehicles are either well ahead or far behind the player. No race, no drama.

The control of GX is also dissapointing. Left and Right turning has no dissernable acceleration, it feels completely digital. Same with the vehicle acceleration.

That is why for all the bullshit spewed out, Tube Slider is the better game. The control is much better and the competition incredibly fierce. TS is the only futuristic racer that has given me a sensation that taking a corner better or laying off the accelerator and jamming it back on actually changes the outcome of the race and improves my overall time. TS is like a sim racer for the futuristic crowd.

GX has better graphics and a much higher degree of polish for sure but TS is the better game.

Interesting coment.Have you tried GX with the wheel? Maybe with the FF wheel it has this analog feel you're describing.

Also wht the heck is Tube Sliders? Never heard of this game. Link? Pics?

isamu said:
Interesting coment.Have you tried GX with the wheel? Maybe with the FF wheel it has this analog feel you're describing.

TS is an F-Zero wannabe game, it sux, don't even bother with screens

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Warm Machine said:
We must be playing a different game -- I get this situation almost every race in the higher level cups. I can't tell you how many times I've been on the edge of my seat trying to steer around what's coming ahead while simultaneously trying to position myself to block someone who is inching up the rear trying to pass me. There's also rivalries assigned to each character (for example, when my driver is Cpt. Falcon, Black Bull almost always wins, so I always try to take him out), and I've been attacked more than once by a CPU driver. Never once have I thought that the vehicles were moving randomly.

The guy who wrote the original comparison piece has blinders on a mile thick. It's plain to see that whenever he gave X the nod in graphics. I'll concede that X has the better music, but that's largely a matter of personal preference, not a gameplay-affecting flaw/boon.

isamu said:

I haven't tried GX with a wheel just a regular pad. Tube Sliders shots can be seen at...

www.necgames.com

...most people have never played the game. It only sold around 3000 copies max and it got hammered in the reviews mostly because it came out 2 scant months before GX did so reviewers were quick to just ignore it.

Top Bottom