• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why have they not remade...

StueyDuck

The original Terminator?

Ground-up, new actors (preferably unknowns), strong budget, S-tier director and crew.

Dafuq!?
Honestly...

Nothing old should be remade because modern "talent".... isn't.

There are a handful of directors, cinematographers and writers that are great these days and they won't want to work on a remake. You'll get some she hulk talent with some madame web writers.

We could do a remastering though, clean it up a little, bring back Cameron and his art team to modernize what they can in the visual effects department.

But overall.. just leave the old classics alone.

Because the remakes of Robocop, Total Recall, Red Dawn, Point Break, Conan the Barbarian, Oldboy, Psycho, etc, were all so successful.

I rather enjoyed the Robocop reboot, it thought it got way too much flak. There are things I’d change for sure (the black fuckin suit ugh) but I found it entertaining at least.

Now Conan, man that was a massive disappointment. Bummer too, cause I think Mamoa could’ve been a decent Conan, but he was saddled with a shit script and bad direction.

Haven’t seen the others, hell I didn’t even know Point Break got a remake.

Johnny2Bad

They should combine Five Easy Pieces with The Shining.
Shining Jack Nicholson GIF

I want you to hold the chicken between your knees.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
I wonder why they haven't remade Blazing Saddles, hmm. I mean they're just remaking everything, I figured this would be on the list. I mean Paws of Fury was the animated remake, but that doesn't count.

kunonabi

Honestly...

Nothing old should be remade because modern "talent".... isn't.

There are a handful of directors, cinematographers and writers that are great these days and they won't want to work on a remake. You'll get some she hulk talent with some madame web writers.

We could do a remastering though, clean it up a little, bring back Cameron and his art team to modernize what they can in the visual effects department.

But overall.. just leave the old classics alone.
Keep Cameron away from it. He would just screw up the sound effects more, make everything blue, and dnr it to hell.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Imagine they made lost boys, point break and white man can’t jump.

That would be stupid and pointless

Last edited:

MilkyJoe

The original Terminator?

Ground-up, new actors (preferably unknowns), strong budget, S-tier director and crew.

Dafuq!?

Please go to your kitchen, open your cutlery draw, put your writing hand finger into said draw and slam it as hard as you can.

Quasicat

I’m convinced that Hollywood tries to push their own narrative to whatever they want it to be and right now AI is good.

In the 80s and 90s it seemed like they were pushing the idea that robots and computers were scary and would kill whenever they could, such as Terminator and iRobot. However, now it’s all about how AI and robots are helpful. Today we have movies like The Creator and even that terrible new Matrix movie tries to show how AI and robots are good despite the previous three movies (also from late 90s, early 2000s) saying otherwise.

jason10mm

Gold Member

They have done multiple crow sequels and tv shows with little success.

The original film was riding on the shock of Brandon's death and it hit that emo/goth wave just right with a killer soundtrack. Alas, I don't see this hitting that vibe but will wait for trailer. This is one property that really needs a dreamy wacky director, or just a nuts balls to the wall action one, IMHO. Maybe more straight horror? But if they try to turn this into a romantic "Twilight" type film....ugh barf.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I entered a thread that has made me believe The Rock would be a fantastic choice to play a Terminator.
I dunno, the Rock has a certain charismatic charm that wouldn't translate well to a grim Terminator (one) type T-800. I think he could do T2 well as that was a much more silly T-800, but you really need that hard core action hero badass rep to pull off making fun of yourself. Arnie had that by T2, but I don't think the Rock does. His more "serious" roles tend not to resonate nearly as well and he can't land bad punchlines nearly was well as Arnie with that deadpan delivery. I'm not sure which actor could best play a T-800 now, maybe Alan Richter? Bautista? There not nearly as many bodybuilders floating around now and that's practically a must for any T-800. All the famous wrestlers are in their 40's now, if not 50's and I really feel you need that mid-30's youthful look to pull off the T-800 idea (an AIs concept of a 'perfect' human wrapped around an endoskeleton).

GeekyDad

Not sure why folks would want The Rock. I was thinking more along the lines of a good cast of actors -- people skilled at their profession. Seems like a nice guy, and he was entertaining as a "wrestler," but an actor he is not.

Didn't Paramount, or whatever company basically remake the original Terminator with Terminator Genisys? Terminator Genisys was fucking horrible. Better to just leave the original alone.

Though, at this point, maybe whatever studio makes it could contract Boston Dynamics to make a fully functional T-800 endoskelleton to put in the movie. That would be quite something to see.

Atlas is becoming pretty impressive. BD could work with Stan Winston studios to remodel an Atlas robot into a T-800 form factor. Equip T-800 Atlus with a chat GTP type of AI, simulate Arnold's voice. It would scare a new generation for the next decade or so.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Nah, The Rock has a great physical presence about him and going against type would be interesting to see. I just don't want any of his "charisma" which I always found corny. A movie where he doesn't smile, do stuff with his eyebrows, or talk much could be dope. That bottom left image in mansoor1980 mansoor1980 picture looks great.
He's getting too old for that shit.
Alan Ritchson though, he's a much better actor.
But they will have to remember it is a horror movie, and not another bored to tears action movie.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

I think the original Terminator was a masterclass on how to do a low budget movie that felt many times bigger than it actually was. Smart compromises in the story and good practical makeup/FX/ miniature work was what made that movie work on a level that it shouldn't have.

If they were to remake T1 - I would like to see them keep that spirit alive instead of throwing money and greenscreens at everything.

As for why no remake? Not a lot of people on this planet has that screen presence that Young/Prime Arnold Schwarzenegger had. Arnold had something like 17 lines in the whole movie and we're still quoting the Terminator almost 40 some odd years later. The best part was Cameron knew exactly how to get the most out of Arnold.

Top Bottom