• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 vs Windows 11 - gaming performance

Do you tweak or debloat your Windows install?

• I run stock settings. No tweaks.

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • I only remove apps I don't need.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I remove/disable all bloatware and spyware. And tweaks settings for performance.

Votes: 39 39.8%

• Total voters

winjer

Gold Member

Most games performance similarly, in Windows 11 and 10. But here were some exceptions, where Windows 10 won by a significant margin. But never situations where Windows 11 would win.

CS2-l-p.webp

Starfield-l-p.webp

APTR-l-p.webp

CP2077-l-p.webp

Part of the differences we see in some games are probably because HU did disable "Memory Integrity", but did not disable "Virtual Machine Platform"
These are security features, that are useful for companies, but not so much for gamers. So it-s best to disable them for better performance.
But another reason could be that Windows 11 has more bloatware and spyware running in the background. So unless gamers disable or remove all this crap, chances are it will affect performance.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Most of these margins are squarely in the "can't notice" territory, and not something I would got to great lengths to mitigate.

Windows 11 does have a more serious performance bug that has yet to be addressed where multiple displays can cause micro stutter, sometimes even after the second display is disconnected. I haven't been able to find much about it online but when it happens it's super frustrating.

winjer

Gold Member
And because it would show no difference on a chart and not get clicks for their bait story.

This is a test to check the overhead that each OS can have. And this is noticeable on the performance of the CPU. Not the GPU.
So choosing a high end GPU and a low resolution is the way to isolate the performance differences.
It's not click bait, it's just how proper benchmarks and analysis are done.

You can argue that the GPU is more important for performance, but the fact remains that the CPU still has a significant impact. Especially for the 1% lows.
And because of that, the overhead that the OS and background tasks have, will also be important for the 1% lows and for the smoothness of frame rate, resulting in a better experience.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
I have a 4090 and my monitor does both 4k 240hz and 1080p 480hz and playing certain games like CS2 I pick 1080p to get 480 fps

Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by NBA
Wow we have a winner here folks. I have two monitors that can split into four screens a piece and do 240hertz. I’m not really sure what else they can do. Can I also shrug? Holy crap we are the top of the top!!!!!

Nah.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I actually didn't know that the memory feature is enabled in W11 by default. Well, it's good to know, just disabled it.

Oh, I thought having a cool monitor meant something, disregard what I said then, as no one cares.
You can buy a gigantic and pretty good TV for the price of the cool monitor, it's absolutely not worth it.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I'd say an expected result and probably something you could repeat between Win7 & Win10 and any previous two versions of the software. The os software gradually becomes heavier over time, offset by the ever increasing performance of available hardware. Comparing on like for like hardware is going to show some results like this, even in productivity work. The exceptions, of course, will be anything that utilizes tools not available on the previous OS, we'll get more direct storage games and things like that down the line that will favor Win 11.

Tajaz2426

I actually didn't know that the memory feature is enabled in W11 by default. Well, it's good to know, just disabled it.

You can buy a gigantic and pretty good TV for the price of the cool monitor, it's absolutely not worth it.
No it’s not, I have them and barely use the two odyssey monitors my wife got me. I use one for security cameras and the other to watch Netflix if my wife is watching golden girls at night before bed. I don’t game much anymore. I was being sarcastic because no one actually cares that someone has some expensive monitor.

I should have put an S or something to notify.

Last edited:

Bojji

I hated W11 at first but I used it exclusively for the last 12 months and got used to it. Performance differences are too minor for me to care TBH.

Krathoon

Gold Member
I have noticed that Windows 11 has some trouble with backwards compatibillity.

Wing Commander Prophecy will not run on it for some reason. It will run in Win10.

I had to make a VM with Win10 to get it to work.

Tajaz2426

I think you've misread into it. His post was a genuine show of frames over resolution choice even with a 4090. Nothing at all to do with showing off.
She or he could have been, but I thought it was funny and said something. I don’t care about or even know who Hindenburg is, it just made me chuckle. Not a big deal he or she got made fun of for it. It will be ok.

nkarafo

I will stay away from windows 11 for as long as possible. I did the same staying with Windows 7 and that helped me avoid windows 8 and the first years of Windows 10.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Never saw the need to upgrade as my desktop is basically 100% gaming. Seems like I did the right move.

I have win11 on my laptop because work forced it, I honestly cannot see the reason of existence for this OS. All securities could have been a patch in win10.

Reactions: GHG

OverHeat

« generous god »
I have a 4090 and my monitor does both 4k 240hz and 1080p 480hz and playing certain games like CS2 I pick 1080p to get 480 fps

Michael Jordan Shrug GIF by NBA
Saw the monitor in person and was not impressed with the quality of 1080p on a 32” screen 🤮 that’s why I want with the Asus UCDM and not UCDP

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

Yeah if you're happy with your gadget/app/stuff, any "updates" are just unwanted crap I didn't asked for.

Will stick with Win10 till I come across an actual problem that requires upgrade. New coat of paint (which isn't even to my liking) isn't gonna cut it.

Danknugz

disable unecessary services and a big one is disabling ntfs last access time which had your ssd doig an insane amount of unnecessary writes all the time. the registry documentation is wrong and j had to trial and error 5 different times before it actually disabled it.

win 10 still, tried win 11 on a work lptop and it's garbage

Last edited:
I update to the latest OS as it's just the next update. I never listen to the "promises" made or anything. I don't do tests or deep dives into performance, etc, but I haven't noticed anything obviously worse than Windows 10 for gaming (though I play at 4k so it is my GPU doing most of the work compared to these tests). I do find it very responsive and fast overall as an OS.

I always delete apps I don't want, like Candy Crush, the Excel apps, and just general nonsense. I've never been one to tweak files, EXCEPT adding a binary thing that when you click on the search bar it no longer shows random Internet garbage. I even enjoyed using Edge for a few years until Google enforced it's ad block rules so went back to Firefox.

Top Bottom