• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 10 vs Windows 11 - gaming performance

Do you tweak or debloat your Windows install?

• I run stock settings. No tweaks.

Votes: 28 28.6%
  • I only remove apps I don't need.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I remove/disable all bloatware and spyware. And tweaks settings for performance.

Votes: 39 39.8%

• Total voters

feynoob

Banned
11 looks shite, so many things changed compared to their other OS. Fuck that. 10 for a while longer.
old-guy-computer-not-happy-4787817.jpg

A.Romero

Hey you, I am not on XP!

It's shit like selecting audio settings, it seems different to 10, seems like a lot more hassle. Little things like that.

I have a multiple monitor and multiple sound outputs set up and Windows 11 actually makes a lot of the stuff easier by remembering configurations.

For example: For work I use two monitors but when I excercise (in my studio, I live in a small appartment) I switch to a TV that I have hanging from the wall next to the PC. When I was using Windows 10, I had to switch manually audio sources to the TV everytime I wanted to use the TV and stop using the headphones. With Windows 11 I just activate the third TV (usually deactivated to not interfere with productivity stuff) and it automatically changes the audio output.

Mr Moose

I have a multiple monitor and multiple sound outputs set up and Windows 11 actually makes a lot of the stuff easier by remembering configurations.

For example: For work I use two monitors but when I excercise (in my studio, I live in a small appartment) I switch to a TV that I have hanging from the wall next to the PC. When I was using Windows 10, I had to switch manually audio sources to the TV everytime I wanted to use the TV and stop using the headphones. With Windows 11 I just activate the third TV (usually deactivated to not interfere with productivity stuff) and it automatically changes the audio output.
I've only used my bros laptop that has 11 and it seemed worse than 10. Was digging through random ass shit to make his Netflix louder. (I don't like laptops or 11).

peish

W11 looks better than W10, MS finally did it, the aesthetics makeover is a success

Better hdr, wifi, direct storage, virtualisation, security, multi monitors, built in aRGB controls, built in AI intelligence

Sure MS can add all these into W10, but why stick with 10 when you can have numerical updates

As long as I don’t have to pay for windows upgrade, i am supportive of this efforts

Last edited:

Sojiro

Voted remove it all. With every new version of windows MS just loves to layer on more and more shit that is unwanted, and it's almost a requirement to at least do SOME trimming of the fat by now. To be honest I was never a huge fan of Win 10 either, but I begrudgingly moved on after Win 7 hit EOL and games started dropping support, man I wished I could have could have stayed with 7 personally. I will say I do generally like the interface a bit more than 10, but only after you kill all the unnecessary shit it wants to blast at you at every opportunity.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Yeah this was known. Windows 11 upgrade was only meant for MS promising PC gamers massive performance gains but that still hasnt happened. Glad I stuck with win 10.
This. Been waiting on a graph that shows otherwise, but here we are. The verdict is in. Win 10 pro is going to stay. Sucks they are ending support next year.
I don't want to upgrade, even though MS has been fucking with my startup in order to urge me to upgrade for free. I've used it on a laptop and I hate it.

Rivdoric

Using Windows Privacy Dashboard along Winutil and disabling Memory Integrity are my go to.
Didn't think about the Virtual Machine Platform OP is referring to though, shouldn't hurt to try.

winjer

Gold Member

Interesting things are happening in the gaming community, as Windows 10 operating system has seen an increase in its user base on the Steam platform, while Windows 11 has dipped below the 46% mark for the first time since its launch. According to the latest July data from Steam's hardware and software survey, Windows 10's share rose to 47.69%, marking a significant uptick that contrasts with Windows 11's decline to 45.73%. This trend highlights a growing preference among gamers for the older operating system, which is often praised for its stability and compatibility with a wide range of games and hardware. Many users have expressed concerns over Windows 11's performance and its stringent hardware requirements, which have made it less accessible for some gamers, especially those without the TPM 2.0-enhanced system.

The shift in user demographics is particularly interesting given that Windows 11 was designed with gaming enhancements in mind, including features like DirectStorage and Auto HDR. However, the adoption rate appears to be hampered by issues related to compatibility and performance, leading many gamers to stick with the more familiar and reliable Windows 10. This trend could prompt Microsoft to reevaluate its approach to Windows 11, particularly in terms of addressing user concerns and enhancing compatibility with existing hardware. Other OSes are seeing stagnation, especially with Linux-based distributions recording zero change. Apple's OSX stands at 1.37%, a +0.06% increase from last month.

Topher

Gold Member

"including features like DirectStorage and Auto HDR"

DirectStorage, sadly, seems to have been largely ignored on PC.

BlackTron

No it’s not, I have them and barely use the two odyssey monitors my wife got me. I use one for security cameras and the other to watch Netflix if my wife is watching golden girls at night before bed. I don’t game much anymore. I was being sarcastic because no one actually cares that someone has some expensive monitor.

I should have put an S or something to notify.

Since it still seems to be kinda slipping through the cracks for you, I'll help. Someone else quipped that if you're using a 4090 with a 1080p monitor you need to buy a new monitor, so he retorted that he already has a good monitor and intentionally lowers resolution to 1080p in order to get higher frames. This is actually supportive of people who intentionally only have el cheapo 1080p monitors because all the extra power headroom offers space for effects and framerates.

If only you had added an S for sarcasm though, we'd have gotten your joke. Oh well lol

Top Bottom