• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows 2003 rocks! ...so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

...so lately WinXP has been acting up as it seems all Windows operating systems do after going for so long without a reinstall, and since I had an empty 27 gigabyte partition on my new hard drive, I decided to take the new OS for a test drive. I have a 'connection' to Oracle through a relative, so it's not like I had to go drop a grand to buy it.

So I put it on today and WOWZA! It's fast, streamlined, and (so far) compatible with everything XP was compatible with. Of course it's meant for a web server so it's got all kinds of weird protocols, like making me explain to it why I'm rebooting every time, but it's been incredible so far.

I *had* heard it was incompatible with games, but UT2004 runs smoother than XP ran it, and honestly it's all around a faster OS without all the misc. crap XP had to slow it down. So I'm wondering, should I keep it? I don't have a major money investment in it, but I'm guessing there would be some kind of pitfall, aside from it being a pricey webserver OS, that would keep most people from buying it. Is it incompatible with stuff? Should I continue to have a dual boot to XP just incase? HDD space isn't an issue anymore, so I'm just curious to see if anyone else is running it and has any comments.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
You can turn off all the fancy crap XP does, at which point it becomes Windows 2k memory usage wise.

And for the record, XP (with both the service packs) is the more stable & functional OS ive ever used.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Service packs always fuck up my XP Pro installation. A few days afterwards, I get a NTLoader error, which forces me to re-install.

aoi tsuki

From my experience, practically any OS will run sluggish after months of installing and uninstalling files and changing system files. i've seen a Win 95 box run stable (for Win 95 anyways) for a couple of years when used as a web kiosk, and a Linux box rendered unusable by a Linux newbie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom