• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central Rumor: Cheaper Cloud-Only GamePass Tier & Family Sharing Coming, No Ad-Supported Tier Currently Planned

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Also, owned digital library playable on XCloud.

Topic title was becoming too long.

I've heard that Microsoft is working towards a cloud-only version of its subscription that would be cheaper and more approachable to buy than Xbox Game Pass Ultimate. This would be designed around users who simply aren't interested in buying an Xbox console, which could include competing console platform players.

I've also heard very tentative rumors that the Xbox Game Pass Friends and Family Plan experiment isn't dead.

I've heard Microsoft has been exploring the potential here, but isn't currently actively working towards an ad-based Xbox Game Pass tier.

Microsoft is working towards allowing Xbox gamers to bring many hundreds of games from their own digital libraries into Xbox Cloud Gaming, hopefully by the end of the year, pending negotiations with license holders.

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...box-game-pass-tiers-and-return-of-family-plan

Last edited:

solidus12

This Is Fine GIF

Roni

Gold Member
I think a Cloud Only tier might be about the only thing that will drive Game Pass subs up other than day one games and a bigger library overall.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
How would an ad-based tier work? Going to interrupt your game for a Dominoes pizza commercial?

Probably an ad before you start the game. I can't imagine they would ever think about interrupting games with ads in the middle. It would kill online / MP games.

But doesn't look like they're planning to do any of that .. for now .. at least.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Probably an ad before you start the game. I can't imagine they would ever think about interrupting games with ads in the middle.

But doesn't look like they're planning to do any of that .. for now .. at least.

That would make more sense. Of all the stuff mentioned, the xcloud tier seems the most likely.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I don't understand why they are suddenly relying so heavily on the Xcloud. The service has been on the same spot for years and is the worst way to play games through streaming. They need to start updating it at some stage...

Last edited:
After using GeForce Now ultimate tier so 4k with 4080 i would never go back to xcloud, image quality is just trash closer to 720p than 1080p. Microsoft should be ashamed for that.

It's weird to me how hard they are pushing cloud while at the same time making no effort to improve the quality. I don't understand why they have to approach everything in such a half ass way. Their PC store is garbage and they've done very little to improve it while at the same time that's one of the few places they can get some actual growth.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I've heard Microsoft has been exploring the potential here, but isn't currently actively working towards an ad-based Xbox Game Pass tier.
This is currently being worked on by everyone. Going to be messy in a few years.

Mr.ODST

To be fair been dying to play NHL 24 and couldn't be bothered to go downstairs to my PS5 so used xCloud and it ran not that bad, I can see the appeal.

This is currently being worked on by everyone. Going to be messy in a few years.

For sub services maybe but people who pay wont have to deal with it. It's just like Hulu they have an ad-based tier and the first thing I did was get off of it.

NickFire

So, does that mean Xbox owners are the third class MS customers, since PC and cloud are both cheaper than console GP?

bender

What time is it?
So, does that mean Xbox owners are the third class MS customers, since PC and cloud are both cheaper than console GP?

Depending on how you look at it (pricing, store user experience, quality of the service), each of those customers bases could be considered third class.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
They’ve been talking about being able to stream your own owned digital games for literally years now.

It’s an absolute joke at this point.

They’ve been talking about being able to stream your own owned digital games for literally years now.

It’s an absolute joke at this point.

Yea what's weird is I already thought this was a done deal. My guess is they were hoping to be able to purchase the rights from Ubisoft and Ubisoft is playing hardball because they know they can.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
0*0ms9-PDqW1POOelf.gif

Im surprised it took them this long to realize buying Ultimate to get Xcloud didnt make much sense.

There needed to be a cloud only option.
Considering the whole you dont need a console narrative the fact there wasnt/isnt a tier for console-less Gamepass was weird.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
... maybe I'm just old, but these all seem like good things to me?

No, they are good things.
But theres always a way to spin it as a negative.

Family Sharing is gonna be an absolute boon for me and mine.
I was already sharing my Gamepass Ultimate between Console and PC (i game on PC family games on Console)

Having an easier Family Sharing option would mean I could probably have a full squad for Gears of War Emergence using a single Gamepass subscription.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
No, they are good things.
But theres always a way to spin it as a negative.

Family Sharing is gonna be an absolute boon for me and mine.
I was already sharing my Gamepass Ultimate between Console and PC (i game on PC family games on Console)

Having an easier Family Sharing option would mean I could probably have a full squad for Gears of War Emergence using a single Gamepass subscription.

I haven mentioned before, but for some reason, most of the kids on Reddit play via XCloud. It is baffling to me, but the market dictates. You’re better off playing on a Series S, but I digress.

More ways to play is always good for video games, and clearly the younger generation love the streaming, it’s just not for me.

The Family Sharing is great. Many if us are older now with kids.

Fess

They need to focus on their console first.
They’re killing their console. They want to be early in on a server-based platform, with Gamepass being the actual platform, eventually unshackled from Xbox hardware using server tech instead. Unburdened by what has been™

xrnzaaas

After using GeForce Now ultimate tier so 4k with 4080 i would never go back to xcloud, image quality is just trash closer to 720p than 1080p. Microsoft should be ashamed for that.
Now imagine if they get tons of new users and their infrastructure has to sustain them. It's actually funny that they plan to get new users who only own a tv - it's playing on the big screen when you really start noticing flaws in the quality.

Top Bottom