• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue I have is when a show that I enjoy and is generally above that goes too far in that direction. There was a scene in K-ON! Fir instance (I've actually brought this up before) where Sawako, a teacher, tries to grope Mio's breasts. Now, I like K-ON!, and I generally think that it does fine without doing this sort of thing, but here I think it crossed the line.

So, then I have to make the judgment of continuing on despite that part, or do I drop it? To K-ON!'s credit, I think they've adequately avoided this since, maybe with a couple of questionable moments here and there. But it can be a difficult situation.

That has less to do with "moe" than it does just "fanservice"

I survive on moe, it's what's for dinner. Though at the same time it can kill you like so:

HYd9MQi.jpg

You can just feel the man essence exploding out of your nutbladder, as if such a thing existed.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Safe from what, criticism?

I'm all for criticism, when it's a little more substantial than "ANIME IS THE WORST THING EVER", which is all over that thread.

Also I think you may be taking my statement there a bit more seriously than I was when I made it.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, it never occurred to me until my buddy in Japan and I started talking about CCS and he specifically referred to it as "the birth of moé anime"

CCS and Angelic Layer (both CLAMP masterpieces) both showed that the super cute style associated with moe does not have to sexualized or fanservicey to be great.

Dresden

Iblard Time -

Nothing like knocking out 3-year old backlog shows.

As most people are aware, it's essentially a transcription of a series of paintings by Naohisa Inoue into a 30-min ova. There is no dialogue, no writing to speak of, just a series of paintings with digitally altered elements - the grass move, the rivers flow, the trees sway in the wind. Occasionally an element of the painting - usually a human being, sometimes a vehicle - comes alive and, well, moves around. Animated, as it were.

Mixed feelings at the end. As beautiful as some of the artwork is, the more fantastic they got, the more detached I became. Inoue's work is surprisingly mundane for something that is so intentionally surreal. I preferred the parts where the oddity was restrained, contained and in contrast to more ordinary elements of the palette. Rare bits of animation here and there are probably the highlight of the OVA - there's a surprising playfulness to how they skirt around the static pieces of the artwork, and how they'll fade in and out of the paintings.

Still, I didn't regret watching it; it's interesting enough (and unique enough) to warrant sitting down for thirty minutes to soak in the music and the scenery. Curious about how that other Ghibli work based on Inoue's work is like.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I always thought of moe in anime as the natural extension of the Japanese love for cute things, even outside of anime. I mean have you seen the mascot for the Orix buffaloes?
PYvTPQs.jpg

I think Buffalo Bell is really sexy. There are all kinds of incredibly hot pictures of her on Gelbooru... Hmmm I wonder what that says about me.

Then I should bow to her (Extollere, don't read that)

Why do I care who you prostrate yourself to?

Besides, any moe queen is just as arousing as any other!

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE 48

The score to this show and the action sequences really are its only redeeming quality. The rest of it is bullshit. Like, is Xehanort conflicted over whether to do Ezelcant's bidding, or is he just having a meeting of the minds with some dead people for reasons? Who knows. Why did Ezelcant trust him, when he's been proven to have friends among the enemy?

So fucking sick of Fram. Fuuuuuuuuuck. This is shiiiiiiiiit. This show bloats its fucking battles like nothing else. Seriously, does this fight need to go on for another fucking episode? No, no it does not. "Now, get in the cage! The cage of death!" WHO WRITES THIS FUCKING SHIT DIALOGUE?

Fucking every one of the last episodes has LITERALLY been this:

Kio: WE CAN UNDERSTAND EACH OTHER AND NOT FIGHT!
ENEMY WOMAN: YOU UNDERSTAND NOTHING.
Asemu: EZELCANT'S EDEN IS HELL!
Zeheart: I WON'T BELIEVE YOU SO THAT THERE IS DRAMA!
Flit: I WILL BE THE SAVIOR!

cajunator

Banned

The score to this show and the action sequences really are its only redeeming quality. The rest of it is bullshit. Like, is Xehanort conflicted over whether to do Ezelcant's bidding, or is he just having a meeting of the minds with some dead people for reasons? Who knows. Why did Ezelcant trust him, when he's been proven to have friends among the enemy?

So fucking sick of Fram. Fuuuuuuuuuck. This is shiiiiiiiiit. This show bloats its fucking battles like nothing else. Seriously, does this fight need to go on for another fucking episode? No, no it does not. "Now, get in the cage! The cage of death!" WHO WRITES THIS FUCKING SHIT DIALOGUE?

*hugs Corvosol

I hope when this is over your soul will be free from this evil.
I question why you continue it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's all your guys fault for ignoring a similar post I made in the last anime thread.

Not my fault that people judge a whole medium based on an anime I post. Especially one I post specifically because it is unintentionally hilarious.

MORI

Moonlight

Banned

I want to let you know that I've enjoyed your impressions a good deal. Your suffering does not go without appreciation.

Syrinx

Moe has more to do with the way a character acts than what the age of the character or what not.
Fair enough, I guess. And Mio did give her a knuckle sandwich for that, which may be one of the reasons I stayed on board with the series at that point.

Dresden

It's all your guys fault for ignoring a similar post I made in the last anime thread.

Not my fault that people judge a whole medium based on an anime I post. Especially one I post specifically because it is unintentionally hilarious.

MORI

I think people talked about it when, well, the episode came out.

MORI

Nah man, it's all your fault!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If by using science you mean "oh we put this toy under the microscope for five seconds and then totally forgot about that for the rest of the episode" then yeah.

Well, the show IS still stupid after all.

But man, you'd think someone would have thought of trying to figure this shit out. lol

Westlo

duckroll said:
The CG in Frontier and Akito are both by Orange! They're also doing the CG in Majestic Prince! In fact, they actually got equal billing along with Doga Kobo for the Animation Production credit in Majestic Prince!

Hey duckroll, you got a list of all the CG work that Orange have done? Did they just do Frontier for Satelite and some other company did Aquarion EVOL as well as Infinite Stratos (8-Bit I know but ex-satelite anyway)

Milamber

Hey duckroll, you got a list of all the CG work that Orange have done? Did they just do Frontier for Satelite and some other company did Aquarion EVOL as well as Infinite Stratos (8-Bit I know but ex-satelite anyway)

Will this do? half is CG work and the other half is key animations by them...

Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince
Sousei no Aquarion
Noein: Mou Hitori no Kimi e
Black Lagoon
Innocent Venus
Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage
Baldr Force Exe Resolution
Doraemon: Nobita no Shin Makai Daibouken - Shichinin no Mahou Tsukai
Meitantei Conan: Konpeki no Jolly Roger
Shin Kyuuseishu Densetsu Hokuto no Ken Raou-den Gekitou no Shou
Sousei no Aquarion (2007)
Devil May Cry
Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Jo
Gekijouban Aquarion
Shakugan no Shana Second
Macross Frontier
Shigofumi
Meitantei Conan: Senritsu no Full Score
Lupin Sansei: Sweet Lost Night - Mahou no Lamp wa Akumu no Yokan
Natsume Yuujinchou
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode:02
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom
Evangelion Shin Gekijouban: Ha
Tetsuwan Birdy Decode: The Cipher
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Gekijouban Macross F: Itsuwari no Utahime
Eiga Precure All Stars DX2: Kibou no Hikari - Rainbow Jewel o Mamore!
Trigun: Badlands Rumble
Black Lagoon: Roberta`s Blood Trail
.hack//Quantum
Nyankuri: Nyan x 2 Music Clip
Soukyuu no Fafner: Dead Aggressor - Heaven and Earth
IS: Infinite Stratos
Supernatural
Eiga Doraemon: Shin Nobita to Tetsujin Heidan - Habatake Tenshi-tachi
Dororon Enma-kun: Meeramera
Sengoku Otome: Momoiro Paradox
Tiger & Bunny
Kami-sama Dolls
Natsume Yuujinchou San
Busou Shinki Moon Angel
Eiyuu Densetsu: Sora no Kiseki The Animation
Hunter x Hunter (2011)
IS: Infinite Stratos Encore - Koi ni Kogareru Rokujuusou
Brave 10
Accel World
Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna
Mass Effect: Paragon Lost

EDIT: Ninja'd

wonzo

Banned
Oh, I'm sure they're all up for a meaningful discussion over there.
I'm sure some of them (read: non cwarrior tier) would be if more people didn't retreat at the sight of any kind of criticism of the medium, no matter how ill-informed it is.

Dresden

At some point most people give up after 'anime = moe = trash' thread #42. You're not going to be engaging in any sort of a dialogue, especially when the work that's being highlighted is . . . well, Kotoura-san. You're just feeding their confirmation bias.

tldr no energy lifestyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom