• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

With a slight delay of 43 years, japanese film Beladonna hits US cinemas.NSFW trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

bella-anime-002c-copy_CMYK-thumb-630xauto-59925.jpg

First, a little bit background

Belladonna of Sadness is a mind-bending, sensual story about an innocent young woman named Jeanne who makes a pact with the devil (voiced by Tatsuya Nakadai from Akira Kurosawa’s Ran).

Now watch the trailer

http://youtu.be/2WkcLMapo_Y

More info

A long lost masterpiece of psychedelic ‘70s animation is being brought back from oblivion, and now thanks to Cinelicious Pics, SpectreVision and The Cinefamily you can watch a new trailer Eiichi Yamamoto’s controversial 1973 film, Belladonna of Sadness. The provocative adult-targeted anime has been restored in 4K for its first-ever U.S. theatrical release.

The restored Belladonna of Sadness will open May 6 at the new Metrograph theater in New York, San Francisco’s Alamo Drafthouse and at The Cinefamily in Los Angeles the week of May 13, with a national roll-out to follow.

More here

http://www.animationmagazine.net/fe...r-belladonna-of-sadness-reveals-restored-gem/

Lock if old

Oersted

Any word of a Blu Ray release?

I live in too rural of an area to ever hope to see this in a theater.

Accompanying the release is a book from Hat & Beard and Cinelicious: Belladonna of Sadness: A Companion to the 1973 Cult Japanese Anime Film. The book features first-ever in-depth interviews with Yamamoto, illustrator Kuni Fukai and composer Satoh, plus color art reproductions and interviews with the restoration artists.

The regular and Limited Edition (including Blu-ray, poster, pins and more) of the book are available for preorder on Hat & Bear’s website.

http://hatandbeard.bigcartel.com/product/i-the-belladonna-of-sadness-i

Will provide an update as soon there is a word of the Blu Ray without book and posters.

FnordChan

I can vouch for Belladonna of Sadness as being the very best kind of fucked up, psychedelic anime erotica. I am amazed it is getting any sort of a theatrical release whatsoever; sadly, I think I'd likely have to travel at least five hours to go see it theatrically, but that's not to say that I'm not giving this serious consideration. I am incredibly stoked for the Blu-ray release as well and am absoultely in for that. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

FnordChan of Happiness

.JayZii

Banned
This movie has some really interesting visuals, but I honestly found it a bit dull overall. I think it is worth seeing, just for the artistry alone. Be warned, it takes limited animation to another level.

I'm willing to give it another viewing, though.

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
This is an animated movie? I can't believe I've never heard of this.

What other obscure animated films are out there and how do people find out about them?

This looks really cool :)

Well.

I've never heard of this until now, but I think I need to get this. I'm really tempted to spring on the $120 limited edition, since it comes with some neat additions.

Khaz

So the normal edition is just a book, and the limited edition is the book and the bluray and stuff? How can I get the film only?

Well that was a visually crazy trailer. Doesn't seem like the kind of movie I'd really enjoy, but I'll give it a watch for the visuals alone.

Clov

It's a very neat film, and definitely worth a watch. If you're able to catch it at a theater, definitely check it out! I'm still amazed that this ended up getting a 4K restoration+Blu-Ray release after so long.

So the normal edition is just a book, and the limited edition is the book and the bluray and stuff? How can I get the film only?

There will be a standalone Blu-Ray, details are still to be announced. I'll be pre-ordering it as soon as it goes out for sure.

Arcia

Banned
Oh yeah, this weird ass movie. I saw this years ago when someone uploaded the entire thing to YouTube. This was in the old days of YouTube before they got bought by Google though, so it was okay to put up fansubbed anime in full. I'm positive that the videos I watched have been taken down by now.

My memory of it is kind of hazy, but what I do remember is that it was absolutely bizarre and at one point there is a crazy montage and
a giant orgy where at some point animals are shooting out of a mans butt
. Actually, that's probably not even as strange as some other imagery in the film, but I am having trouble remembering all of it.

It was a pretty interesting film. Very stylish, but also very drawn out and slow paced.

LQX

Man I wish animation would go back to that. Cant stand the thin body, stupid hair, cutesy shit that has infested everything.

Munti

Saw this movie years ago on TV and really enjoyed it!
You should know that not much animation is in this movie. Most of the time it only shows still images and it's quite a slow movie. But the images and the few animations are absolutely gorgeous (and the main character is really a bella donna).
It may not be for everyone but i thought it quite interesting.

/XX/

Little reminder that Cinelicious Pics' representative Craig Rogers mentioned interest in tackling further restoration projects and subsequent similar releases for the other Mushi-Pro's Animerama works, if this first one is successful:

Official Cinelicious Pics Thread - Page 3 - Blu-ray Forum
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=10679905#post10679905

So anyone interested on this film and who is able to attend a showing, please, do so to demonstrate a good support! In behalf of anyone else abroad who can't do it too!

Wish I could find more early anime like this, Angel's Egg kinda has a similar feel but not really. Not nearly enough psychedelic animation produced in that era, and if there are some other gems out there I wanna know about em.

Clov

Wish I could find more early anime like this, Angel's Egg kinda has a similar feel but not really. Not nearly enough psychedelic animation produced in that era, and if there are some other gems out there I wanna know about em.

If you're alright with short films, you may enjoy some of the independent animator Keiichi Tanaami's work.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Visually it's reminds me of Aeon Flux and Lupin the III the tale of Fujiko. I wonder were the creators of those inspired by this

Aske

Typical 'sexually exploited girl is 1000 year old demon' nonsense.

Seriously though, this looks amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom