• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman wins two year battle to save dog by proving the dog is not a pitbull

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Source: http://www.thestar.com/news/article...battle-to-keep-dog-from-being-euthanized?bn=1

lQduY.jpg

If Scarlett is a pit bull she dies, if she is a Rhodesian ridgeback-boxer cross she lives.

Differentiating the two took a year-and-a-half-long legal battle for Scarlett’s owner Jane Nolan after Oshawa animal services workers labelled the dog a pit bull when she escaped into a neighbour’s yard.

The 4-year-old dog with no history of aggression was saved Monday afternoon by a justice of the peace after an expert witness, Canadian Kennel Club dog judge Alan Bennett, testified that she is likely a ridgeback cross.

“I’m still in shock … I’m so, so happy,” said Nolan, 20.

It means no more weekly half-hour visits to the pound where Scarlett has been kept since September 2010. The puppy Nolan found shivering in a park in February four years ago is now home and back to her playful self.

Nolan said it was “heartbreaking” being separated for so long from her dog, knowing she was spending most of her time in a cage. She called her dog her “best friend.”

Nolan was represented by a paralegal at provincial offences court in Whitby, and guided through the legal process by Storms Animal Allies, a local advocacy group that paid her legal costs.

“I don’t know what I would have done without them,” Nolan said.

Since the pit bull isn’t considered a breed of dog in Canada — it’s a generic term used in the Dog Owner’s Liability Act to ban breeds like Staffordshire bull terriers or even dogs resembling them — it can be near impossible to identify them, even for vets.

“There is no scientific basis to assess whether a dog is a pit bull or not … Veterinarians, some will identify them, some don’t feel comfortable identifying them,”
said Jerry Conlin, director of municipal law enforcement and licensing in Oshawa.

The animal services workers used their best knowledge and the guidelines of the Act to determine she was a banned dog, he said.

“We don’t often run into this situation, I’d say most of the time it’s fairly clear,” said Conlin.

To supporters of a private members bill proposed by Conservative MPP Randy Hillier (Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington), Scarlett is another in a string of victims of “canine profiling.”

Bill 16, co-sponsored by NDP MPP Cheri DiNovo (Parkdale-High Park) and Liberal MPP Kim Craitor (Niagara Falls), is in the committee stage and aims to change the breed-specific part of the legislation brought in by the McGuinty government in 2005. It is based on research that banning one specific breed does not reduce the number of canine attacks — “it’s the deed not the breed.”

The current legislation “has led to the euthanasia for about 1,100 dogs and puppies, many who were not aggressive towards other animals or people,” said Dr. Dale Scott, president of the Ontario Veterinary Medical Association.

Instead the province should focus on teaching responsible pet ownership and ensuring dogs are trained, he said. The legislation should encompass all dangerous dogs, and put in place stronger consequences for bad owners and breeders.

The data show the overall number of dog bites has not changed since the Act was put in place, said Scott.

All it does is punish one breed of dog, he added.

Nolan couldn’t agree more: “It’s a stupid law and they’re stupid for passing it in the first place.”

A lot highlighted since it's worth reading. First case I've heard about someone fighting having their dog identified as a pit in Ontario in a couple of years, but I remember a Brampton owner having their dog taken away even though it was not a pit. Pretty terrible that it's on the owner to prove their dog is not a pit, while their dog can just be taken away immediately if a relatively uneducated Animal Services work judges their dog to be a 'banned bread'. And vets not wanting to be put in the position of identifying breeds.

And then you have the pit debate overall. Stronger enforcement of who you're adopting out to instead of the destruction and banning of an entire breed seems more reasonable. If I wouldn't adopt a pit out to some thug that wants a guard dog, or a 'status symbol' by owning the dog, I wouldn't adopt out a dog like a German Shepard to them either.

Elginer

Kinda looks like mt pit.mix Shilo. He's the sweetest dog. Pits get a bad wrap cuse of shitty owners.

JoeBoy101

By numbers, there are far fewer pit bull incidences per dog owned that most other breeds. Problem is that because of how strong they are, those incidences get alot more attention. Truth is, smaller dogs tend to be a LOT more aggressive.

equap said:
why didn't they just dna test the dog?

What are you going to compare it to? Hell, there's no racial test for humans. Has to be determined by genealogy and physical characteristics.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The data show the overall number of dog bites has not changed since the Act was put in place, said Scott.

Hooray for ineffective legislation with no tangible results. The problem with these things is that it's a lot easier to put stupid laws in place, and a lot harder to either fix them or erase them.

equap

Banned
By numbers, there are far fewer pit bull incidences per dog owned that most other breeds. Problem is that because of how strong they are, those incidences get a lot more attention. Truth is, smaller dogs tend to be a LOT more aggressive.
i can kick a small dog in the face and it will run away but trying doing that to a full grown pit bull. beside, those small dogs are all bark and no bite.

a lot of the pit bull problems are because of the owners, a bunch of wanna be thugs.

JoeBoy101

Rhodesian Ridgeback

466f2d3a70feeab64ae92674a161befe.jpg

Pitbull.

220px-American_Pit_Bull_Terrier_-_Seated.jpg

For reference. I'm surprised there had to be a discussion as, so long as its mostly Rhodesian in its bloodline, the dog would probably show the breed's dominant trait that earned them the name:

RhodesianRidgebackBaileyPurebredDogBack.jpg

equap said:
i can kick a small dog in the face and it will run away but trying doing that to a full grown pit bull. beside, those small dogs are all bark and no bite.

a lot of the pit bull problems are because of the owners, a bunch of wanna be thugs.

Sure, but a good 80% of the time, its not just the strength of the dog I hear as the reason against Pitbulls. Its also added with, "They're so aggressive."

Really they're not. You're second point is key though. That and the fact worthless human shits use them for dog fighting.

As I understand it, not all ridgebacks actually have the ridge on their back so if it was mixed with something, wouldn't it have less of a chance of having a ridge?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Mostly true. Although smaller goes, especially those unsocialized defensive ones that are yipping at everything can be a threat to children and other dogs, because they do have some bite.

But when a pit bites, it's going to be severe. Of course, there are many large breeds this applies to, and I don't see people out to ban such 'loved family dogs' as German Shepards, Dobermans, or even Rotties.

Like I said in the OP, there has to be a better system for who can adopt larger dogs. Too many people want the dog as some sort of badass status symbol, and don't treat it right. Of course, many smaller dogs are also treated poorly, and it really shows. Love dogs, hate a lot of dog owners. :/

JoeBoy101

As I understand it, not all ridgebacks actually have the ridge on their back so if it was mixed with something, wouldn't it have less of a chance of having a ridge?

/Username quote

Damned, if I know. Given the mutts and breeds, dogs have always struck me as very robust in their genetics. But its funny which and how their breed's characteristics will come out. Myself, I got a Dalmation/Cattle Dog mix right now. Simultaneously the smartest and craziest dog I've ever owned.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
By numbers, there are far fewer pit bull incidences per dog owned that most other breeds. Problem is that because of how strong they are, those incidences get alot more attention. Truth is, smaller dogs tend to be a LOT more aggressive.

What are you going to compare it to? Hell, there's no racial test for humans. Has to be determined by genealogy and physical characteristics.
It's generally a mix of both. Statistically, intact male pit bulls are overrepresented in fatal pet bites. As are pet wolves.

Dead Man

God I hate breed specific legislation like this. Apart from the sheer stupidity of it, the standard of proof required is usually ridiculously low.

Derrick01

Banned
The people who put that law into place should be hung outside of the courthouse. 1100 pointless deaths on their hands due to their own stupidity and prejudices.

I'm pretty sure you can use DNA to differentiate between negroid, mongoloid, and caucasoid.

Phoenix

This is like doggie precrime... why would the breed of the dog be grounds to sentence it to being killed? If a poodle came into the yard and jumped for the jugular, why would it be granted life because it was too short to make the kill strike?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Right. The problem isn't the aggression, it's the strength.

Same reason why people can have cats for pets, but not large felines like tigers, cheetahs, etc.

Zoe

Some people swear by breed testing for cats. Surely the same thing exists for dogs?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Glad they identified it as a non-pitbull.

Hopefully the Liberals and NDP on board with overturning this breed specific legislation are successful. Make me proud liberals, let me at least pretend you guys are not completely useless!

daw840

Such a good story, such a bullshit law.

This is like doggie precrime... why would the breed of the dog be grounds to sentence it to being killed? If a poodle came into the yard and jumped for the jugular, why would it be granted life because it was too short to make the kill strike?

A standard poodle could very easily kill someone. They are huge.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
these policies are fucking embarrassing and silly.
Before people in this thread start playing devil's advocate, they should be sure to check this out :
http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4288

Simply put, these policies are driven by misconception, broad assumptions and embarrassing prejudice.
Really happy she got her dog, but shit like this shouldn't happen. I say this as a person who generally rolls their eyes when I see someone walking a "pit bull".

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Some people swear by breed testing for cats. Surely the same thing exists for dogs?

It's important to remember that, "Pit Bull" in this case is not a thing. The article states that the law can be applied to dogs simply for having trais similar o that of a "pit bull"
Generally speaking, this is what happens when you write legislation based on nothing but shadows. I imagine that proving the dog was half ridgeback and half boxer was only part of the problem. After that, you have to prove that such a dog isn't a "pit bull" under the vague terms outlined.

/Username quote

Damned, if I know. Given the mutts and breeds, dogs have always struck me as very robust in their genetics. But its funny which and how their breed's characteristics will come out. Myself, I got a Dalmation/Cattle Dog mix right now. Simultaneously the smartest and craziest dog I've ever owned.

There was an episode of QI (a british panel show) that said something like there are more variety in dog breeds than in any other animal on earth.

JonnyBrad

Staffies are banned in Canada? They're everywhere in the UK. Other pit bulls are banned but not Staffies. They make great pets tho they have a bad reputation due to a fair % of scumbags who own them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom