• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Darkness [OT] It's their world, we just live in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj_iwakura

Been meaning to have a thread about this for a while, and with all the recent V:TM talk, what better time?

1101-1.jpg

World of Darkness, or WoD for short, is the storytelling game in which all of White Wolf's supernatural games transpire: Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, Changeling, Geist, etc.

The World of Darkness resembles the contemporary world, but darker, more devious, more conspiratorial. Humanity is losing hope as it is secretly preyed upon and controlled by supernatural creatures such as vampires, werewolves and wraiths. One facet that sets the World of Darkness apart from most other horror fiction is that these creatures are not solitary predators to be hunted down and destroyed, but they are numerous and intelligent; enough so to form secret societies, develop various factions and allegiances, and use humans as pawns in power struggles and murderous games often lasting centuries or millennia.

However, the rising power and strength of human civilization has started to restrict their power, and an atmosphere of gloom resides over many of the games as once-almighty supernatural beings, the dark Princes and Lords of previous eras, in their turn face the bleak and unbearable prospect of a future spent struggling and shrinking under the ever-more powerful gaze and control of a world-wide technocratic cabal, which intends to stamp out mysticism - and their supernatural rivals in the same course - by making reason and science paramount. In the meantime, normal humanity, tool or prey of all factions, is oppressed and hounded in this hidden, all-encompassing conflict, barely capable of fighting and for the majority not even aware of their enemies.

Interlocking conspiracies, some mirroring those existing in our own world, some unique, can be found throughout the setting. Cabals of powerful mages, coteries of cunning vampires, and other, stranger powers vie within their own cultures and with each other for control of the world. The dichotomy between rich and poor, influential and weak, powerful and powerless, is much more pronounced than in our world. Decadence is common and corruption is everywhere. This dark reflection is seen everywhere: gargoyles and gothic construction influence architecture, while the leather look and punk atmosphere crowd the streets. Everything is as gloomy in the WoD as the most pessimistic tabloid headlines present it.

World of Darkness has been through a pretty crazy few years. There was a tumultuous period where, after being bought by CCP, much of their output was relegated to kickstarters and a failed MMO(World of Darkness), which sadly looked excellent if in perpetual production hell.

Character Clothing Simulation

The idea had been for players to act out a real WoD universe, complete with Princes and so on. The politics in the game would have been completely player-controlled. It sounded too good to be true, and in fact, it was.

Fortunately, now Paradox own WW, and by association, all of their properties, so it seems like brighter days are ahead... so to speak.

There's rumors that a new V:TM RPG is in the works, and Paradox have the chops to do it right, so here's hoping. WW are also leveraging their franchises into lots of new, exciting things, such as V20 editions of their classic books, and new editions of the updated revisions.

To make things easier, they've broken it down into two different universes.

Here's a brief guide.

Chronicles of Darkness is what the New World of Darkness is now known as. This is for any of the newer WW RPGs, namely their 'big three', which always exist in some form.

Vampire: The Requiem
Vampreq_c.jpg

The revised version of the classic Vampire: The Masquerade storytelling game, Requiem streamlines the mechanics, in favor of cutting out a whole lot of story fluff.

Mage: The Awakening
MageTheAwakeningCover.jpg

My personal favorite game, behind V:TM. A storytelling game of modern sorcery. PCs play as budding young sorcerers, and have to keep the boundary between mortal reality and mage society from collapsing, and tearing both worlds apart.

A revision of the legendarily complicated Mage: The Ascension tabletop game.

Werewolf: The Forsaken
WerewolfTheForsaken_cover.jpg

A revision of Werewolf: the Apocalypse, which updates the Garou to be less stalwart defenders of earth and more roving naturalist street gangs. I've heard the original is better in every regard.

Changeling: The Lost
200px-ChangelingTheLostCover.jpg

A self-proclaimed storytelling game of beautiful madness, about what happens when faeries take those who don't belong to them, and how the survivors try to rebuild the pieces of their shattered lives. A revision of Changeling: The Dreaming.

One of the more popular NWoD games.

Geist: The Sin-Eaters

A storytelling game of life after death. Think Grim Fandango meets Dead Like Me and you have the idea. Characters who narrowly escaped near-death experiences now have an acute awareness for the other side, and now have to use their abilities to help others. Or not.

Demon: The Descent
DemonTheDescentLogo.png

Demons must maintain their Cover (their human secret identity) lest it become eroded and expose their location to the hunter-killer angels that pursue them relentlessly. They maintain their Covers by doing things that Cover would do - taking care of its family and kids, doing its day job, walking its dog, all of that. Demons need spiritual Essence to power their supernatural abilities, but can only get it certain ways, many of them physically risky. Demons need to cultivate new Covers in case one of theirs is suddenly blown or exposed, which means going among mortals and making bargains and deals.

Demons need to keep an eye on their enemy, if nothing else so they know how close it is to finding them, which means seeking out its lairs and exposing its agents. Every Demon has a long-term goal of achieving Hell - a state of existence where they aren't hunted, either by destroying or reprogramming the God-Machine that hunts them, or by finding a new dimension, or by becoming human for real - and every demon has a Cipher, a four-line riddle that, when solved, guides them on their quest for Hell and can unlock new abilities and insights for the demon. And, of course, this is a White Wolf game, so all the usual politicking and plotting and planning and double-crossing is fair game too.

These are the primaries, but any of the others are open to discussion, namely Mummy: The Curse and Promethean: The Created.

However, the classic games still remain very popular, so WW continues to actively support them, as...

This includes the classics, such as:

Vampire: The Masquerade
200px-Vampmasq.jpg

A storytelling game of personal horror, about a clan of vampires who ruin society from the shadows.

Also inspired a masterful PC game, which remains very popular to this day, with an active community of modders and players. Someone will reinstall it every time it's mentioned.

Vampire_-_The_Masquerade_%E2%80%93_Bloodlines_Coverart.png

Werewolf: The Apocalypse
Werewolf_-_The_Apocalypse_cover.jpg

A tale of the last defenders of Mother Earth, or Gaia, defending her against all enemies, within and without... namely the corrupting Wyrm.

Mage: The Ascension

Mageasce_c.JPG

A tale of modern-day magic users who can use their sorcery to affect the fabric of reality, but have to contend with rival societies(namely the Agent-like Technocracy) that have their own designs for magic, rarely good for the whole of human society.

Classic WoD includes many other games, such as Demon: The Fallen, Wraith, Changeling: The Dreaming, Hunter: The Reckoning, and so on.

So feel free to discuss any of the above games, or whatever WoD scenarios strike your fancy.

Or maybe run one of your own.

TrHVXQ9.jpg

Welcome to the family.

Nobody loves Wraith: The Oblivion : (

I Kickstarted the anniversary release of the classic one. Then I realized the concept of having someone roleplay a voice in your head that tells you to do horrible things is a bad idea with my group of friends (also I am really bad at this stuff but want to git gud...especially as a GM).

ZiZ

The Lore in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines was great.

Are there any novels or stories set in that world?

I was really looking forward to CCPs game. It really did sound too good to be true, but I thought if someone could pull it off, it would be CCP.
A proper remake of VtMB where they fix the combat would be great.

cj_iwakura

Incidentally, I'm starting a V:TM PBP campaign at another board I frequent. If anyone's interested, shoot me a PM. It's set in New York, a Tremere-run Camarilla setting.

Aha. Glad you created this OT. I couldn't subscribe fast enough. I'm an old World player myself. Mostly in Werewolf and then Vampire. But I've really had a growing interest in Mage in recent years.

The Lore in Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines was great.

Are there any novels or stories set in that world?

Tons! There not super stellar in writing, but yeah, they exist. Partial (I think) list here:

http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_White_Wolf_fiction_by_title

Also the source books are full of lore.

Nobody loves Wraith: The Oblivion : (

I didn't get into Wraith until reading 'Charnel Houses of Europe: The Shoah'. It was a surprisingly passionate look into victims of the holocaust, using the World of Darkness to explore it.

I looked into it after this Extra Credit video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDEgXUqHL9Q

Before this gets too far down the page, some resources for interested parties:

A good summary of the two different systems and their histories:
World of Darkness

Reddit: Where do I start? (slightly outdated)

The place to get digital copies or print on demand books (currently a sale going on)
http://www.drivethrurpg.com

There is also a link to digital versions of the fiction there. If you are interested in the fiction I would stick to classic WoD/oWoD. Primarily read the sourcebook you are interested in and then find some books that interest you. The quality of the novels is pretty hit or miss, but I've enjoyed the 13 book Clan Saga so far. Avoid reading the "chronological" re-releases.

If you are interested in the game, definitely steer yourself towards Chronicles or nWoD. The systems actually work together. The primary book is the World of Darkness core rulebook (now called Chronicles of Darkness after the 2012 update). That will give you a basic understanding of the game mechanics for running your own games and opens the door for Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Hunter, Promethean, Mummy, Beast, etc. So far the main rulebook (Chronicles of Darkness), Vampire, and Werewolf have been updated to 2nd editions and Promethean and Mage have 2nd editions that are available as works in progress. I believe there are plans to update most of the sourcebooks to 2nd edition as well.

cj_iwakura

Never read that Tremere Trilogy, but the clan novels are great.

And yeah, read them as the Clan Novels, not the collected versions.

Never read that Tremere Trilogy, but the clan novels are great.

And yeah, read them as the Clan Novels, not the collected versions.

I wish Drivethru had that stuff as kindle compatible instead of just pdfs. I would jump on that Dark Ages bundle in a heartbeat if that was the case.

BokehKing

Banned
Don't forget the short lived tv show

Kindred: The Embraced

I really wish a MMO exisredwhere I can roll Garou Glasswalker existed.

Volimar

I loved Werewolf. More specifically Hengeyokai. Even more specifically Kitsune. It was a lot of fun to play an underpowered character around all those incredibly strong wolves.

Hunter: The Reckoning was fun too.

Unfortunately, I lost all interest when they had their big apocalypse and the newer books just don't seem as good.

Don't forget the short lived tv show

Kindred: The Embraced

I really wish a MMO exisredwhere I can roll Garou Glasswalker existed.

Oh yeah, that was great. Though even through all the intrigue and powers my favorite part was her...

<swoon>

Pilgrimzero

Love WoD.

Prefer old to new. Recently sold all my leather bound 20th Anniversary books since White Wolf is going to make newer ones.

Only new WoD stuff I like is Changeling. Demon looks awesome too in a "Matrix" kind of way.

Speaking of video games, the Hunter games were pretty fun.

Triteon

Love WoD.

Prefer old to new. Recently sold all my leather bound 20th Anniversary books since White Wolf is going to make newer ones.

Only new WoD stuff I like is Changeling. Demon looks awesome too in a "Matrix" kind of way.

Speaking of video games, the Hunter games were pretty fun.

What? They are making new limited editions?

Triteon

I really loved Mage and VtM a lot back in the day. I had a pretty big soft spot for the Demon The Fallen books as well but I never actually played it.

Also the Dark Ages stuff was very interesting, blood and silk was an excellent read.

I was less of a fan of the NWOD, apart from, weirdly, the straight WOD stuff. I love that urban weirdness vibe in a lot of the story stuff in those books.

Its weird, I played a lot for a few years then I moved and played a few one off games here and there in my new town but I never found a core group. Its been more than a decade since I rolled a D10 dice pool. I'm too bad at story telling to run anything and all my local meet up type games are for DnD or pathfinder.

I still buy the books on a semi regular basis but I don't play anymore but I still love the world building.

Bellamin

Spent so much time playing WoD games in high school. Anybody branch off into the smaller games? One of my favorites was Hunters Hunted, playing a ragtag group of vampire hunters who had little chance of survival.

The new Hunter is great, although a bit less "flaming sword"-y than the classic WoD version.

One of my favorite bits is the addition of slashers. The archetypes for them and the FBI department dedicated to hunting them (VASCU) are absolutely perfect.

I find that the oWoD stuff is great but hasn't necessarily aged that well. A lot of the "trenchcoats and katanas" vibe of old-school Vampire seems a little bit silly and precious in 2016.

Anyone know where I can still find fictional character sheets like the Winchester brothers from Supernatural ever since the official forums were shut down?

Pilgrimzero

What? They are making new limited editions?

New White Wolf is going to start up the books again continuing the lore into modern day. So not limited, a new edition and can assume new clan books etc. Same for Werewolf and Mage and whatever else they choose.

cj_iwakura

Thread's been quite for a while, here's some fun V:TM stuff I took from my clanbooks.

Drivethru's having a V:TM sale with some good stuff:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/sale.php

A notable Malkavian:
2KSSf7B.jpg

A notable Setite (great book by the way) :
oD79rQO.jpg

You get the idea.

The Nosferatu outlook.
k9nKWgr.jpg

SyJyD6C.jpg

pMXaBRZ.jpg

And the Malkavian 'outlook'.

ARQT9g8.jpg

XQ32fZR.jpg

Rf2Q40V.jpg

And the greatest analogy for the Camarilla I've ever seen:

udr2orc.jpg

Fou-Lu

I love WoD but have only ever gotten to play one game of the RPG and it was a PbP. I know some guys do D&D play by post on these forums, would anyone be interested in doing WoD?

KonradLaw

I dropped out of WoD when they killed Changeling The Dreaming. Lost isn't bad, but I vastly prefered The Dreaming. I might go back when Onyx releases the anniversary edition.

Karak

I have pretty much every one of the original WOD books not the weirder reboot things. Werewolf, even the smaller Changing breeds books, Mage, Hunters Hunted, Mummy. So great. We still play monthly/

cj_iwakura

I love WoD but have only ever gotten to play one game of the RPG and it was a PbP. I know some guys do D&D play by post on these forums, would anyone be interested in doing WoD?

Always, though I favor V:TM and Mage: The Awakening.

Geist is good too.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
i have no experience with nWoD but i looooove oWoD. Read and played just about every release.. the later ones like Hunter, Demon, and the full release of Mummy (did the Sourcebook Mummy though i heard its later incarnation is way different).

i wish i still had the books. Had to sell them all a long time ago. The look on the used bookstore ladys face when she saw the back cover of the 1st edition Tzimisce Clanbook. And lol at the thought of all the different pronunciations of Tzimisce at the local Minds Eye larp.

Mage: The Ascension was my favorite. There werent any titles i didnt love though.. even Oblivion and Old West. Well maybe Anarch Cookbook.

Volimar

Everyone loves the bloodlines video game and I'm just wishing they'd remaster the Vampire game with Christof er whatever his name is. I loved that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom