• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft: Legion Beta datamined stuff

ZenaxPure

Beta this early?

Not really that early, they announced the expansion over 3 months ago.

I'm impressed by how much is complete art-wise in this first build. In the first Warlords of Draenor build, Tanaan, Nagrand and Spires of Arak were nonexistent.

This is what I am most surprised by as well. It looks surprisingly complete art-wise based on all the datamined stuff so far. Then again they said they've been heavily working on it since the middle of WoD so I shouldn't be too surprised I guess.

This new Warlock demon is cool as fuck.

Inquisitor.jpg

That's a new demon pet for warlocks?

That might be their coolest design yet.

Canon

Banned
Can't justify paying $20 CAD a month for this game, but what I've been hearing of Legion might change my mind.

I mean, both Ysera and Cenarius are obviously from the Emerald Nightmare.

I'm assuming you're not killing the actual characters.

Well, they talked about Cenarious at Blizzcon and said we would fight him, but weren't saying if he would really die. It is actually him.

idlewild_

Well, true, you might end up killing them and then have to suction them out of an alternate dimension three expansion packs later.

I mean, looking at Nefarian, Kael'thas, etc. they don't even need to do that. Even if you kill a guy and hang his head from the entrance to Stormwind he'll come back a couple expansions later no problem.

Boogdud

Sylvannas looks bad imo. Looks like a knee jerk "gotta cover up the skin to please the internets" version. It would be cool if they actually put some cool armor on her but it looks like she's in leveling gear. Yuck.

Sölf

Not subbed at the moment. But damn, hyped as fuck. Day 1, as always. No wait, probably a few weeks early.

Sylvannas looks bad imo. Looks like a knee jerk "gotta cover up the skin to please the internets" version. It would be cool if they actually put some cool armor on her but it looks like she's in leveling gear. Yuck.

It looks like she's wearing her old lingerie armor over a wooden girdle.

CHC

This new Warlock demon is cool as fuck.

Inquisitor.jpg

Wow that is super cool. Nice to see a little bit of subtelety back in the designs, I'm sick of everything having 20 million giant glowing bits and intersecting curvy shapes. That creature looks cool, original, and cleanly designed.

It could be cartoonish and still look good. Everything is a low poly mess. It has zero to do with the art style.

But it does look good. Do you actually play the game? When you're out and about in the world everything extremely cohesive, sharp, and appealing. Plus the animation is extremely good, which is a huge factor. For something that has been around since 2004 the new content looks very good.

Woorloog

Banned
Wow that is super cool. Nice to see a little bit of subtelety back in the designs, I'm sick of everything having 20 million giant glowing bits and intersecting curvy shapes. That creature looks cool, original, and cleanly designed.

Don't forget the spikes. Spikey-demons, spikey-undead, spikey-things...

(I don't actually know if WoW has such, but Diablo and Starcraft sure seem to have a lot of spikes nowadays. I loved the zerg look in original SC, it was clean and simple. Now it is brown and spikey.)

Don't forget the spikes. Spikey-demons, spikey-undead, spikey-things...

(I don't actually know if WoW has such, but Diablo and Starcraft sure seem to have a lot of spikes nowadays. I loved the zerg look in original SC, it was clean and simple. Now it is brown and spikey.)
Spikes-lovers are going to enjoy Legion.

Sylvanas's new look is really bad. It's like they just added non-matching leather where skin previously was. Nothing wrong with changing her armor, but at least make it look cohesive. Why not use the same color and material as her existing armor?

ZenaxPure

It's also probably just to bring his model in line with the new human male as well. I wouldn't expect him to do much of anything anytime soon.

Eh, it's mostly just about the artifact quests. Each spec has a different weapon and a different quest chain + unique scenario associated with it so they are taking that opportunity to check in with tons of locations/characters they haven't done anything with in forever. I won't bother typing out any spoilers (they are out there if you want to see them) but lets just say the artifact weapon story lines take place on every continent in the game except Outland/Draenor (and some even take place on other planets we've never been to).

Personally I think it's really cool, heading back to old zones to check in on old characters/storylines that aren't big enough to warrant a place in the main expansion story.

Finaj

Eh, it's mostly just about the artifact quests. Each spec has a different weapon and a different quest chain + unique scenario associated with it so they are taking that opportunity to check in with tons of locations/characters they haven't done anything with in forever. I won't bother typing out any spoilers (they are out there if you want to see them) but lets just say the artifact weapon story lines take place on every continent in the game except Outland/Draenor (and some even take place on other planets we've never been to).

Personally I think it's really cool, heading back to old zones to check in on old characters/storylines that aren't big enough to warrant a place in the main expansion story.

Exactly that. The Forsaken and Gilneas have needed development for years, but you can't really have your continent of focus be a place that already exists (Lordaeron). That part of the world is complete and no new zones can really be added.

Xiaoki

I mean, looking at Nefarian, Kael'thas, etc. they don't even need to do that. Even if you kill a guy and hang his head from the entrance to Stormwind he'll come back a couple expansions later no problem.
In Cataclysm Deathwing attacked Stormwind to retrieve the bodies of Nefarion and Onyxia and then turned then into zombies.

Kael'thas was just imprisoned after Tempest Keep, he died in Magister's Terrace.

And for other bosses like Illidan and Archimonde, when demons die they just return to the Twisting Nether ready to be summoned again.

Fjordson

Everything is looking / sounding good so far. Love that dragon model in the OP.

I'm sort of burnt out on Warlords for the second time now, but I'll definitely be there at launch for Legion.

idlewild_

The idea being they find plenty of ways unrelated to time travel, though I could have worded that better

edit: though, i don't think time travel was the original plan for WoD. supposed to be something about garrosh escaping to outland and using some relic to resurrect the horde

Top Bottom