• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would MGS: The Twin Snakes still be a Nintendo exclusive if it was remastered in HD?

VulcanRaven

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was released exclusively on Gamecube in 2004 and it had never been re-released. I know it has its problems but I still like it. Would be awesome if Konami remastered it in HD because this year marks the 20th anniversary of the PS1 original. Would it be a Switch exclusive or could Konami release it on PS4 and Xbox One too? I have been wondering about this. Capcom was allowed to release the Gamecube only Resident Evil remake in HD on all consoles and PC so could the same happen for TTS? The deal with Nintendo was similar most likely.

It looks really good on Dophin:

Last edited:

A.Romero

I don't think it's possible to get it outside of the Nintendo ecosystem.

In any case I rather take a remake of the original. Some stuff in Twin Snakes wasn't to my liking (and it's the only GameCube game that I've played).

sotojuan

My problem with TS is that they added the gameplay of MGS 2 but kept the level design the same. Many parts of the original MGS assumed you could not do things like shoot while prone. The game, which was already made easier, became a cakewalk. If they remake MGS they either should keep the same gameplay or alter the game and bosses.

Still would love to see TS in HD, it's fun!

WaterAstro

Twin Snakes is terrible, but it's published by Konami, not Nintendo, so they can do whatever they want.

The thing is, it's Konami. You'll most likely see this as a panchinko game, though that would be better than this travesty of a rendition of MGS1.

Twin Snakes is terrible, but it's published by Konami, not Nintendo, so they can do whatever they want.

The thing is, it's Konami. You'll most likely see this as a panchinko game, though that would be better than this travesty of a rendition of MGS1.

Not true, the exclusive was partly produced and licenced by Nintendo.

But yeah better avoid Konami touching MGS in any ways, hopefully this mediocre company will fail in the falling Pachinko market and whatever they do in real-estate and medical investment so that another serious company can buy their game division.

Oh I wish Sony would by Konami gaming division...

Hawko

Neo Member
I'm one of those crazy people who think Twin Snakes is awesome - played through it several times back in the day. Even enjoyed the cheesy cutscenes.

However, with the way Konami is shitting on all their franchises these days, its not going to happen anytime soon.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
I don't know what you mean, Konami owns the Metal Gear Solid IP, they can put it anywhere they feel like it...

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes was released exclusively on Gamecube in 2004 and it had never been re-released. I know it has its problems but I still like it. Would be awesome if Konami remastered it in HD because this year marks the 20th anniversary of the PS1 original. Would it be a Switch exclusive or could Konami release it on PS4 and Xbox One too? I have been wondering about this. Capcom was allowed to release the Gamecube only Resident Evil remake in HD on all consoles and PC so could the same happen for TTS? The deal with Nintendo was similar most likely.

It looks really good on Dophin:

What deal? Soooooo you telling me you don't know that Konami owns the Metal Gear Solid IP? When did Nintendo buy the Metal Gear Solid IP? You may not see a Twin Snakes remaster or anything like that because it wasn't received well, not because of some secret "deal". Capcom was not "allowed" to release RE4 because of some slip up, THEY OWN THE IP, THEY OWN ALL OF RESIDENT EVIL! So what do you mean "allowed" or "deal"? Unless someone out right buys the IP, those companies can do what ever they want with their actual legally owned properties. Twin Snakes was just an awfully made game, give it to Blue Point games, actual REAL REMAKE using Fox Engine and MGSV controls, all platforms and they'll be fine.

I see no reason for them to remaster or put in HD Twin Snakes, if this "deal" would limit its systems. The game was bad, the supposed "deal" hurts sales, soooo you have 2 pretty damn good reasons why they would not be remastering or put in HD such a game only to be on 1 system, as suppose to a ground up remake on all platforms.

Txx3

Neo Member
that game was awful! the cut scenes were so terrible cheesy ...burry that game 4 ever :rolleyes:.
jumping on rockets and bullettime :confused: it didn´t go well with the orignial style of MGS1

just hope they remake the original one, if u want a MGS 1 remake.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

What deal? Soooooo you telling me you don't know that Konami owns the Metal Gear Solid IP? When did Nintendo buy the Metal Gear Solid IP? You may not see a Twin Snakes remaster or anything like that because it wasn't received well, not because of some secret "deal". Capcom was not "allowed" to release RE4 because of some slip up, THEY OWN THE IP, THEY OWN ALL OF RESIDENT EVIL! So what do you mean "allowed" or "deal"? Unless someone out right buys the IP, those companies can do what ever they want with their actual legally owned properties. Twin Snakes was just an awfully made game, give it to Blue Point games, actual REAL REMAKE using Fox Engine and MGSV controls, all platforms and they'll be fine.

I see no reason for them to remaster or put in HD Twin Snakes, if this "deal" would limit its systems. The game was bad, the supposed "deal" hurts sales, soooo you have 2 pretty damn good reasons why they would not be remastering or put in HD such a game only to be on 1 system, as suppose to a ground up remake on all platforms.

The deal that made the game exclusive to Gamecube of course. Nintendo probably paid them money and it was released only on GC. I just hope that deal doesn't prevent them from releasing it on other consoles now if they want to.

Edit: I don't think we really need a new MGS1 remake because there is one already. Maybe they could make a release that includes both the original and The Twin Snakes in HD.

Last edited:
Twin Snakes was co-produced by (at the time) Nintendo's second party: Silicon Knights. There simply HAS to be some contracts involved since that did not make it to the Metal Gear HD collection for example, which makes no sense if there's no barriers there. We are talking about Konami though, so god only knows. But fact remains that it simply isn't the same deal as with Resident Evil, since that seems to have only been a temporary exclusivity thing and was also (re)created by Capcom themselves from what I know.

93xfan

Banned
Twin Snakes was co-produced by (at the time) Nintendo's second party: Silicon Knights. There simply HAS to be some contracts involved since that did not make it to the Metal Gear HD collection for example, which makes no sense if there's no barriers there. We are talking about Konami though, so god only knows. But fact remains that it simply isn't the same deal as with Resident Evil, since that seems to have only been a temporary exclusivity thing and was also (re)created by Capcom themselves from what I know.

But Kojima didn’t like that piece of garbage. Even after its release, Kojima wanted to do a Metal Gear Solid remake at some point.

Nymphae

Banned
My problem with TS is that they added the gameplay of MGS 2 but kept the level design the same. Many parts of the original MGS assumed you could not do things like shoot while prone. The game, which was already made easier, became a cakewalk. If they remake MGS they either should keep the same gameplay or alter the game and bosses.

Still would love to see TS in HD, it's fun!

The tranquilizer gun completely broke that game.

Also, the matrix-fu in the cut scenes was ridiculous, even for a Kojima game.

ExpandKong

Banned
Speaking as someone who played both games multiple times at and since their respective launch dates, I’d play through Twin Snakes ten times before I’d play through the original version of MGS again. It’s just more fun. Sorry.

Beyond that, I can never take MGS fans complaining about the cheesy/ridiculous elements of the Twin Snakes cutscenes seriously. Like, okay, Vamp running across water and straight up the side of a tower, is that where the line is for you guys? The greatest soldier in the world doing a backflip is too far? Raiden holding a sword with his foot and breakdance-fighting a bunch of mini Metal Gears that moo when you hit them is a-ok, but Snake nodding at the camera when Psycho Mantis tells you to put the controller down is beyond the pale? Are you guys for real?

To the original discussion - Konami being Konami, I imagine Twin Snakes would’ve been ported to every platform imaginable by now if it were at all possible. Maybe something with Silicon Knights has mucked things up legally? And it’s weird because they used the re-recorded audio for certain bits in MGS4, if I remember correctly. Strange deal. I’d love to see the game on other platforms though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That was a remake made by Silicone Knights. We supervised it but we didn’t create it directly and we wanted to make sure that everything in the HD Collection was canon. Everything that goes into there is something created directly by Kojima Productions and Kojima himself. So that is the reason why Twin Snakes was not included in HD Collection.
That's the reason it was missing in the collection, nothing to do with Nintendo

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

The former president of Silicon Knights Denis Dyack posted this on Twitter last year so there might be a chance:

Last edited:
Top Bottom