• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WrassleGAF: Smackdown should be the "WWE Premiere" show, agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimawolf

So yes I know Raw has goldberg/Brock, but Raw just feels super old and stale compared ot Smackdown, the women on Raw don't seem as interesting as on Smackdown (both move wise and storyline), and the Raw storylines in general don't feel like that work nearly as well as Smackdown. Hell Smackdown made the Wyatts somewhat interesting again.

Overall Smackdown just feels like a tighter show.

so what do you think GAF? show Smackdown be the "premiere" brand and get the 3rd hour? Or is the 3rd hour part of the problem with RAW?

(yes I know "WWE sucks etc etc etc", no need to mention it.)

bigkrev

so what do you think GAF? show Smackdown be the "premiere" brand and get the 3rd hour? Or is the 3rd hour part of the problem with RAW?

The REASON that Smackdown is a tighter show is because it's 2 hours and Raw is 3 hours lol

MavFan619

Banned
No just improve the creative over on Raw get rid of the third hour (riveting brand new analysis.) I like Raw's overall roster more, on Smackdown on top I like Aj and honestly that's about it I wish they treated American Alpha the way they were on NXT they feel like dorks now. Also the women's roster is much better in ring wise, Alexa has yet to have a GOOD match as champ, Becky is good though. I dunno what this move wise noise is but the women on Smackdown are getting more varied attention story wise which is nice for them but man their matches typically suck compared to say the Sasha Charlotte Raw title matches.

Three hours is holding Raw back from being any good. The magic of SmackDown is being on the air for two hours.

WWE's creative team just can't handle three hours.

Is hard to quantify any one thing that resonates with an audience. I prefer RAW. Smackdown has better writing but only goes so far because the talent themselves don't grab my attention. I don't care about a single performer on that roster. If anything, the 'shoot' segments are so fucking contrived at this point that it has been unbearable to watch.

At the end of the day, I just enjoy the characters on RAW more but, again, I get why people love Smackdown.

Choices are good.

WatTsu

So I generally only watch the PPVs on the Network and read recaps, but...

I agree with you, Smackdown is generally the better of the two shows. The roster isn't as stacked but generally people feel like they matter more and there's less of a clear delineation between who's at the top and who's not (there's very much still a glass ceiling but you still believe guys like Miz and Ziggler could break through at any time). Plus - AJ Styles is consistently great at everything he does and even Cena has been outstanding lately. I'm even loving how Ambrose is basically Bugs Bunny.

(Plus, I saw Smackdown live late last year. It was a blast. I'd love to go again.)

Raw has more of my favorites in general (Owens, Jericho, Sasha, Bayley, Joe, Sami, *Rusev*) but there's a definite line dividing the "important people" from everyone else. Roman, Rollins, and whichever rotating part-timers feel like they're the focus and everything else is an afterthought. With three hours, everyone should get a chance to matter but it doesn't feel that way to me. I'm even a little worried about Balor, to be honest.

So yeah. In general - you're right, OP. But no, it shouldn't get a third hour.

Edit: I forgot Raw managed to make cruiserweights boring, blessed Jack Gallagher aside.

ReiGun

Becoming the "premiere show" would just turn Smackdown into Raw.

Raw is the show that's about "big moments" while Smackdown is the smaller show that about stories. That's how I separate them, anyway. Either way, there's clearly a difference in philosophy in how the two shows are structured and booked, and that's likely a result of how the company (read: Vince) views them.

Giving Smackdown that "A Show" status would probably cause them to take it into a direction similar to Raw with all its strengths (better roster, more time inbetween PPVs to build to matches, more emphasis on "big moments," etc.) and weaknesses (3rd hour, worse storytelling, a languishing midcard, etc.)

To be fair to both, while I agree Smackdown is the better show, it's not perfect and Raw does get it right sometimes. With that said, I think they're both fine exactly as they are.

On the 3rd hour: I might be alone in this, but I don't think the 3rd hour on its own is the problem for Raw. The problem is that in all the years Raw has been 3 hours, they haven't adapted their booking nor the show's structure to accommodate that length of time. It's more symptomatic of WWE's inability to adapt than anything.

So yes I know Raw has goldberg/Brock, but Raw just feels super old and stale compared ot Smackdown, the women on Raw don't seem as interesting as on Smackdown (both move wise and storyline), and the Raw storylines in general don't feel like that work nearly as well as Smackdown. Hell Smackdown made the Wyatts somewhat interesting again.

What would make it the "premiere show" other than adding Brock/Goldberg and a third hour and turning it into RAW in everything but the name?

Answered your own question.

They should stop making people sit through 205 live for Talking Smack (the actual best weekly program in the WWE).

MooMilk2929

I really hope Smackdown don't get a 3rd hour. Thats the reason I like Smackdown more than Raw. I also prefer the women in Smackdown more too.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The only reason it's as good as it is now is because Vince doesn't pay nearly as much attention as he does with Raw. Let it be, my friend.

Like others have said, Smackdown is GENERALLY very solid because Vince doesn't seem to care about it as much.

If it did become the premiere show, it'd just turn into RAW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom