• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Day of Reckoning IGN review

Bog

Junior Ace
I've been playing this today. It's decent, and probably the Cube's best wrestling game, but that's not saying a lot. All I know is I unlocked The Dream Team*, so I'm happy now.

*For you young kids, that's the team of Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine.

'' That noted, this is still far and away the best wrestling game available for Nintendo's console. If you can live without a handful of Superstars, Divas and Legends, you're going to have a lot of fun bringing the pain to the opponents that are in the game. And it only gets better with friends. ''

wwe-day-of-reckoning-20040604040626845.jpg

Bog

Junior Ace
The reversals make the game a bit silly, and incredibly frustrating against the AI. The control's also more stiff than in Smackdown. Oh, and when you get knocked to the mat, you're gonna be there for a while unless you reverse your opponent's ground attack. Annoying.

Bog

Junior Ace
Haven't unlocked him yet. I've gotten Andre, Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine. In the completely scripted story mode, I've just made it to Raw, so I'm sure there are quite a few more to unlock.

I got some questions here. Feel free to respond or not !

Can you climb on the outside ramp ?
Can you turn off BGM music tracks ?
How good is the momentum shift ?
HELL IN A CELL = 2 or 4 destructibles roof ?
Is it WXIX + A LOT BETTER ??? If yes = Wet pants !

Bog

Junior Ace
Lt.Frank_Drebin said:
I got some questions here. Feel free to respond or not !

Can you climb on the outside ramp ?
Can you turn off BGM music tracks ?
How good is the momentum shift ?
HELL IN A CELL = 2 or 4 destructibles roof ?
Is it WXIX + A LOT BETTER ??? If yes = Wet pants !

1. Define climb.

2. Didn't look. They're pretty good, though. One's straight from Tony Hawk 3. Maybe it's Tony Hawk 2. Either way, a Tony Hawk game.

3. It's a move you can only do once and supposedly only if you're in "Danger". Since I haven't been in "Danger" yet, I have no idea how it works.

4. Haven't done one yet.

5. A lot better? Eh. It's better. At least this game doesn't have Hogan beating up and murdering construction workers.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Raw was shit for more than just the AI. Everything about that game was ass, Im not sure a worse wrestling game could be made if they tried.

In fact, there was not a single redeamable thing about the game.. the graphics were horrible, few of the guys actually looked like themselves.. I won the womens championship belt with Angle...

I still dont understand why the Smackdown series just doesnt get ported.. it would save them time and money, and sales on the Xbox and gamecube would be MUCH better.

Well, about the climb thing, I mean jump on ramp near the crowd and then jump on opponent . A la Jeff Hardy you know...........

Yeah the song you talked about his from THPS 2 . The band's called Anthrax I think........

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Hey, is version 1 in this game? and if so, does he have the cool 'media player' intro? and if so, does he have matt facts?

I will purchase a gamecube and this game if the preceeding are in it.

Bog

Junior Ace
StoOgE said:
Hey, is version 1 in this game? and if so, does he have the cool 'media player' intro? and if so, does he have matt facts?

I will purchase a gamecube and this game if the preceeding are in it.

Yes to all. And a record FOUR Matt Facts per intro.

Bog

Junior Ace
On a side note, since I assume this is Lance Storm's last game, can I mention how completely depressed I am that he has his idiotic dancing entrance?

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I wasn't expecting a score that high, especially after hearing so many complaints about the stiff grappling system. The visual modelling always impressed me, but that's no reason to purchase a game if the gameplay factor isn't there. Might have to rent 1st before purchasing.

Bog

Junior Ace
In the Story Mode, Matt was down in the developmental camp because he had hurt his leg. He called himself v0.7. Pretty funny stuff.

Bog

Junior Ace
Wow. Tag matches are huge clusterfucks. Pretty much all you see is the screen flashing due to every move being countered.

Edit: I can't wait to see how people react to the AI's (and I use that term loosely) ability to counter every single move in Story Mode. There are gonna be a whole lot of broken controllers.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Bog said:
Wow. Tag matches are huge clusterfucks. Pretty much all you see is the screen flashing due to every move being countered.

Edit: I can't wait to see how people react to the AI's (and I use that term loosely) ability to counter every single move in Story Mode. There are gonna be a whole lot of broken controllers.

Am I sure that the wind isn't carrying the faint smell of weaksauce Bog? :D

evil ways

Does the game still have all those crappy visual and sound effects like the whooshing, airplane engine sounds everytime you do a grapple move or the screen flickering and shaking in black & white during specials? If so can you turn that crap off?

Shinobi

Bog said:
5. A lot better? Eh. It's better. At least this game doesn't have Hogan beating up and murdering construction workers.

:lol

I just wanna know if Bret has his ringpost figure four in either this or Smackdown vs Raw.

Bog

Junior Ace
As far as the crowd sounds go, hearing "Holy ____!" over and over gets obnoxious. And no, they don't say "Holy Shit". It's more like "Holy" and then a clapping sound. It'd be cooler if it only happened after you smashed a table or something, but instead I'll go for a pinfall and my opponent will kick out... "HOLY ___! HOLY ___!"

Speevy

Banned
Bog said:
As far as the crowd sounds go, hearing "Holy ____!" over and over gets obnoxious. And no, they don't say "Holy Shit". It's more like "Holy" and then a clapping sound. It'd be cooler if it only happened after you smashed a table or something, but instead I'll go for a pinfall and my opponent will kick out... "HOLY ___! HOLY ___!"

Just name your CAS "Holy Shit". Problem solved.

Memles

Tempted...but I'm going to pass. Story mode seems like it isn't anything special, and can't say I'm too impressed with much else. Solid ain't good enough.

Shinobi

Bog said:

In other words, they're as annoying as real wrestling crowds.

Bog

Junior Ace
After a few more hours of play, I'm a bit happier with the Story Mode. It's still very limited and scripted, but for some reason I keep coming back to it. I'm still not sure why the Bashams were the Tag Champs on Raw, though...

Memles

Bog said:
After a few more hours of play, I'm a bit happier with the Story Mode. It's still very limited and scripted, but for some reason I keep coming back to it. I'm still not sure why the Bashams were the Tag Champs on Raw, though...

See...I know it will likely be leagues above WMXIX, and I know it will beat the total lack of a story mode in WMX8. But I refuse to pay full price for a game that still isn't as strong as it could be. I'm sure someone at University will have the game, and if I like it, I'll pick it up first sale I find.

I heard that you pick between Raw and Smackdown when going into the WWE in the Story mode...does this mean you technically have two fresh runs through the Story mode?

Bog

Junior Ace
Yeah, I assume the storylines will be vastly different, since mine's been mostly Evolution thus far. But I find it strange that the Bashams were over on Raw.

Memles

Bog said:
Yeah, I assume the storylines will be vastly different, since mine's been mostly Evolution thus far. But I find it strange that the Bashams were over on Raw.

I noticed the same thing when looking at some videos of the game earlier...and was confused.

However, my confusion was why they were in the game period. Over the DUDLEYS. Fucking Yukes...

Bog

Junior Ace
I've gone about 20 more matches without unlocking anything. I was hoping for Hart or SOMETHING by now. At least my feuds with the Bashams and Storm/Val have concluded.

evil ways

Have you had a chance to check out the CAW extensively and if so, are there any boots that look similar to Ultimate Warrior's? Also can the paint application that's used for logos be used for face paint or masks as well?

Bog

Junior Ace
I can check for you. I pretty much made a basic character quickly just to start Story Mode. What's cool, though, is if you go back and edit your CAW, the edits take effect no matter where you are in Story Mode. So if halfway through Story Mode, you get bored of your finisher or your entrance, you can go in and change it.

Bog

Junior Ace
Just finished the Story Mode. I suppose I'll put everything in spoiler tags.

I chose Raw, so the entire time I was either teamed up or in a feud with Evolution. It ended with an Iron Man Match against HHH at Wrestlemania. You win that, get the title and the credits roll. After the credits, it tells you that you've unlocked Bret Hart, a couple new entrance templates and 800 CAW pts to use. I'm hoping you unlock more Legends on the Smackdown side of things, because 4 is a little lacking (5 if you count Piper who's selectable from the beginning).

Edit: I just checked the CAW for the things you'd asked for. No Warrior boots. But yes, the paint application can be used on your character's face or mask.

Bog

Junior Ace
That picture's on the back cover of the box, though much smaller in size.

And for the guy who PM'd me asking how long story mode was, it's
around 46 matches (or weeks). There were 7 matches in the developmental territory, 8 or 9 on Heat and then 31 on Raw.

Bog

Junior Ace
Because that reply wasn't obvious. I was waiting for a "nobody cared to begin with." Thank you for proving to me the predictability of the GAF.

Memles

Oh...and for the record, you're all out of legends.

The game interests me, but not $70 Canadian interest. It's more $40-$50 interest, sadly. It's too bad they couldn't really come through, but there are other game I want more.

Top Bottom