• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE: Murder charges against "Superfly" Jimmy Snuka dropped

Status
Not open for further replies.
More at link.

26f8bfb99e1f7b9d7d1047f0d002f018

ABC6 said:
ALLENTOWN, Pa. (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania judge on Tuesday dismissed the murder case against former pro wrestler Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka, saying he is not competent to stand trial in the 1983 death of his girlfriend.

The decision by Lehigh County Judge Kelly Banach comes a month after Snuka's lawyer told the court that his 73-year-old client has dementia, is in hospice care in Florida and has six months to live.

The retired WWE star was charged in 2015 with third-degree murder and involuntary manslaughter in the death of Nancy Argentino, whose body was found more than three decades earlier in their Whitehall Township hotel room.

Prosecutors allege she was beaten, while Snuka has maintained she died from a fall. Authorities reopened the investigation after The Morning Call newspaper raised questions about the case in 2013.

DarkestHour

Banned
How do you have a trial 23 years later? Well, obviously not in this case, but it seems like any evidence would be lost by now. I wonder if new evidence popped up to empower prosecutors to press forward.

Says right there in the first post.

Authorities reopened the investigation after The Morning Call newspaper raised questions about the case in 2013.

How do you have a trial 23 years later? Well, obviously not in this case, but it seems like any evidence would be lost by now. I wonder if new evidence popped up to empower prosecutors to press forward.

There is no statute of limitations on murder, and why the investigation was repoened is in the op.

Tagyhag

Hmm, since he's probably passing away this year, I wonder if WWE will do a tribute or if the re-opening of the case damaged his reputation too much.

entremet

Hmm, since he's probably passing away this year, I wonder if WWE will do a tribute or if the re-opening of the case damaged his reputation too much.

I doubt it. Too much baggage. I personality think he killed her just based on the OP. Dying from a fall without no witnesses sounds fishy as fuck.

It's pretty widely believed he did it, yeah. People knew.

He got away with it twice, but he's very likely dead this year so even if he was deemed competent and found guilty, he wouldn't be imprisoned for long

Raised questions is pretty vague. I'm just wondering.

The aforementioned MC story

Argentino, 23, died of traumatic brain injuries consistent with a moving head striking a stationary object, according to the autopsy. Her injuries weren't reflective of a singular head injury, wrote Dr. Isidore Mihalakis, the nationally recognized forensic pathologist who examined the body.

Argentino suffered more than two dozen cuts and contusions — a possible sign of "mate abuse" — on her head, ear, chin, arms, hands, back, buttocks, legs and feet, Mihalakis wrote in his autopsy report.

According to police records reviewed by The Morning Call, Snuka told the responding police officer and four hospital employees that he shoved Argentino, causing her to hit her head. Those accounts differ from what Snuka told detectives in his official interview after Argentino's death, when he insisted she slipped on the side of the highway.

So the evidence was that Snuka was a serial beater of women and that he told everyone but the detectives who interviewed him that he deliberately caused the most immediate blunt trauma that preceded her death. Then there's the fact that he waited a good long time before alerting anybody who could save the victim's life.

Ok so I looked into it. It seems that The Morning Call looked up old autopsy records.

According to police records reviewed by The Morning Call, Snuka told the responding police officer and four hospital employees that he shoved Argentino, causing her to hit her head. Those accounts differ from what Snuka told detectives in his official interview after Argentino's death, when he insisted she slipped on the side of the highway.

So the evidence was that Snuka was a serial beater of women and that he told everyone but the detectives who interviewed him that he deliberately caused the most immediate blunt trauma that preceded her death. Then there's the fact that he waited a good long time before alerting anybody who could save the victim's life.

Yeah seems like it. This should have happened in 1983. This kind of stuff seemed to be glossed over then.

entremet

Damn.

Crazy how he got away with it. Disgusting acts.

Yeah seems like it. This should have happened in 1983. This kind of stuff seemed to be glossed over then.

It's been a problem for decades, investigators not taking claims of domestic violence very seriously. It puts victims in an impossible situation which is why they end up fleeing with nothing but the clothes on their backs.

dream

This is a travesty. On the off-chance that he's not faking, Superfly deserves to die in a jail cell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom