• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Royal Rumble '17 |OT| Follow The Buzzers

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

Crews and Breeze are precisely why I don't want Nakamura or Joe up on the main roster yet.

Honestly, it all depends on what brand they're drafted to. If they're on Raw, then it may end up bad, but if they're on Smackdown, they have a higher chance to succeed.

Crews and Breeze are precisely why I don't want Nakamura or Joe up on the main roster yet.

nah. I get the feeling Nakamura would be treated similarly to Finn Balor was on Raw. At least for the short term which is all WWE cares about for their newer guys.

ReiGun

Honestly, it all depends on what brand they're drafted to. If they're on Raw, then it may end up bad, but if they're on Smackdown, they have a higher chance to succeed.

Unless you're in the tag division like Breeze, since that's one thing Smackdown has completely mangled.

They have no excuse for Crews.

Yeah, someone appearing who's already on the current roster isn't much of a surprise.

That video that has all the surprise entrants from 2008 to present will just have to skip this year.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...y_surprise_entrant_in_the_royal_rumble_match/

Surprises are part of what makes Rumbles so fun. How can they be so dumb as to not have surprises?

that first stadium setup is amazing. love seeing the jumbotron during the match in the background and still can see plenty of fans for signs and such

Penguin

What really bums me out is how it seemed like the perfect chance for a Jericho win. Having him stay in the entire time thanks to a mixture of chickenshit heelness and being decked out by everyone seemed like the perfect chance for him to win through playing opportunist and eliminating the last person when they're distracted eliminating someone else. If anything that's my only problem with the rumble itself, the ending was so anticlimactic. No build up or tension, just part timers appear one by one and then Roman does stuff.

I thought that's where they were going or Owens somehow screws him over, but he just got dumped... he constantly being knocked out wasn't even a story on commentary.

janoDX

Charlotte sure but rest no.

Corbin has a character, he has mic, and improved a lot on the ring.

Bliss still needs some work on the ring but she got the character figured out and she has a decent mic.

Strowman 2017 is much, much better than his Wyatt version in 2016, in 2016 he was a mindless puppet that has no character and did stupid stuff in the ring. Now he knows what he does, gets decent stuff and he figured out that he has to work as a monster. He's not ME material yet, but he's the character that's the border between ME and Mid Card.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meltzer just started complaining that he doesn't understand why they say "2 minutes" between entrants and then just send them out whenever it seems appropriate and Alvarez had to explain to Meltzer how television works.

Mahonay

Banned
Meltzer just started complaining that he doesn't understand why they say "2 minutes" between entrants and then just send them out whenever it seems appropriate and Alvarez had to explain to Meltzer how television works.
Lol. Dave has these random disconnects from reality sometimes.

Having to ingest that much wrestling over a lifetime I'm sure fries your brain a bit.

Anybody know where Tye is going? I'm really hoping he doesn't pop up tonight. Smackdown could really use somebody that's already over with the crowds and a good baby face.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
nah. I get the feeling Nakamura would be treated similarly to Finn Balor was on Raw. At least for the short term which is all WWE cares about for their newer guys.

Problem is, they needed Balor to not get injured - I think the injury to Balor pushed everyone else back a year in NXT callups.

If they have Reigns / Taker with Reigns heeling it up and winning, the RR will have been 100% worth it. Spoilery stuff below...

So, per the Meltzer (and Keller implies some of this as well)

Plan is for Orton to face Wyatt at WM, with Wyatt taking the title off of Cena in Elimination Chamber. Other plan is for Goldberg to face Owens at Fast Lane, meaning Goldberg / Lesnar could have title involved, or Lesnar interferes and saves Owens, leading to Balor (if healed up) or Jericho vs Owens at WM. I am guessing they do not know whether Balor is 100% good to go for WM, hence the booking around Owens.

With that, you're looking at Goldberg / Lesnar, Cena / Styles or Cena / Joe, Reigns / Taker, Wyatt / Orton, Owens / Balor / Jericho as your main matches. Interesting that they are not 100% sure on Cena's spot yet.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Anybody know where Tye is going? I'm really hoping he doesn't pop up tonight. Smackdown could really use somebody that's already over with the crowds and a good baby face.

My biggest fear is for anyone to ever get called up to Raw ever. Even wrestlers I don't like. It's a fate worse than death at this point. Smackdown or go back to the indies. There's nothing for you on Raw.

Hex

Banned
The unshakeable vibe of Reigns is "teacher's pet". No one likes a teacher's pet.
And they are not helping by shoving him down everyone's throat in every situation.

Why was he even in the Rumble, in kayfabe? We know why he was in it, out of kayfabe, to set up the Taker match, but he was in the world title match earlier, are we to assume Stephanie left #30 blank during the show and just gave it to him, or something? Even though she's supposedly meant to be anti-Reigns.

That is why they need to heel him up, put a suit on him and embrace it

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Didn't Rumble always be the catalyst to show how Wrestlemania matches would be forming

Even if Reigns vs Taker happens, it didn't feel like there was any inclination that this was just the start
Throwing the guy over the rope feels meh, now if Roman landed fists or did his shitty punch or hug spear and threw Undertaker out, then yeah you could go, yep dude is coming for Revenge

Roman feels so fuckibg boring
Dude gets gassed faster than any wrestler I've ever seen before
The reason KO match sucked so much, cause the breaks in between took for fucking ever
KO from his physique still puts in effort, Roman 1 Superman Punch and a few moves here or there is coughing up a lung

How can you make a guy look STRONK!, when half the time he's on the floor or mat catching his breath

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
People on Reddit Squared Circle speculating he replaced someone at the last moment. It seemed odd having Brock clear the ring awaiting the next entrant, and it turns out to be Enzo

Enzo was a weird one because he was out there at the start of the Rumble talking up how Big Cass was going to win it. Why would he be doing that if he was also in the Rumble? Wouldn't he be big upping both of them?

Mahonay

Banned
just get E to do a "Total Cruisers" reality show to build up their appeal.
u6bYkIY.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Problem is, they needed Balor to not get injured - I think the injury to Balor pushed everyone else back a year in NXT callups.

If they have Reigns / Taker with Reigns heeling it up and winning, the RR will have been 100% worth it. Spoilery stuff below...

So, per the Meltzer (and Keller implies some of this as well)

Plan is for Orton to face Wyatt at WM, with Wyatt taking the title off of Cena in Elimination Chamber. Other plan is for Goldberg to face Owens at Fast Lane, meaning Goldberg / Lesnar could have title involved, or Lesnar interferes and saves Owens, leading to Balor (if healed up) or Jericho vs Owens at WM. I am guessing they do not know whether Balor is 100% good to go for WM, hence the booking around Owens.

With that, you're looking at Goldberg / Lesnar, Cena / Styles or Cena / Joe, Reigns / Taker, Wyatt / Orton, Owens / Balor / Jericho as your main matches. Interesting that they are not 100% sure on Cena's spot yet.

I'd be all fine with that
Goldberg/Lesnar storyline if Goldberg got one last run
with the title.

Then, play up the "
Lesnar needs this
" angle and maybe showcase a change in his personality/training/etc. in the runup to the match.

AndyVirus

Even though Orton winning was telegraphed because dirtsheets, I thought Lesnar was going to win after Owens retained. I believed whoever the winner is would actually main event WrestleMania this year, so Rumble winner Lesnar vs champ Goldberg made sense in my mind, as Orton/Wyatt will never main event WM.

Got thrown for a loop with the Reigns booking.
- Strowman interferes -> "OK, Reigns/Strowman at Mania"
- Strowman dominant in the Rumble -> "Reigns next entrant to take them both out or sneak attack"
- Strowman eliminated -> "Oh, I guess they didn't want Reigns revenge immediately"
- Reigns enters & eliminates Taker -> "ffs"

The 'surprise' entrants were abysmal and really damaged my interest. Particularly when I think 3 of them were in the first 6 guys. Enzo was kind of a breaking point. If they really needed a Cena win (absolutely awful decision if he's dropping it in two weeks), Joe debuting, wining the Rumble and going on to face Cena would've been BIG.

this was the 30th anniversary.

Don't be Vince :(

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Went to the Royal Rumble last night on a last second lark in the cheap seats.

I haven't really followed the WWE in probably 6-7 years. Probably close to a decade since I was really into it at all.

It's a little disconcerting that most of the big pops were for people I was watching in the 90s. Also, whoever Roman Reigns is, clearly no one gives a flying fuck. A really loud "this is bullshit" chant started when he entered the ring.

Thought the only good bit of storytelling was building that one super giant dude as a beast who eliminated everyone in the opening of the match.. Took out Henry and Big Show and then was pretty unceremoniously eliminated by committer. Seemed like they could have kept him around a bit longer, but I'm guessing his an undercarder?

Match was okish I guess. Don't regret the drive down from Austin at all.

Seems like it's the same old Vince pushing people who fans hate down peoples throats?

Cena was never a phenomenal worker even in his prime, but man that dude can't do shit. AJ Styles had to carry his ass to even hit "really boring but I guess 2 ok spots" level bullshit.

Thought the Cruiserweight match was super fun. Only good match of the night.

Mahonay

Banned
Went to the Royal Rumble last night on a last second lark in the cheap seats.

I haven't really followed the WWE in probably 6-7 years.

It's a little disconcerting that most of the big pops were for people I was watching in the 90s. Also, whoever Roman Reigns is, clearly no one gives a flying fuck. A really loud "this is bullshit" chant started when he entered the ring.

Thought the only good bit of storytelling was building that one super giant dude as a beast who eliminated everyone in the opening of the match.. Took out Henry and Big Show and then was pretty unceremoniously eliminated by committer. Seemed like they could have kept him around a bit longer, but I'm guessing his an undercarder?

Match was okish I guess. Don't regret the drive down from Austin at all.

Seems like it's the same old Vince pushing people who fans hate down peoples throats?

Cena was never a phenomenal worker even in his prime, but man that dude can't do shit. AJ Styles had to carry his ass to even hit "really boring but I guess 2 ok spots" level bullshit.

Thought the Cruiserweight match was super fun. Only good match of the night.
Lol I think this is a pretty good example of how fucking shitty WWE is at telling stories

Most people loved Cena vs AJ. I thought Cena did great, it takes two to tango in wrestling. But it was a definitely a spot fest with almost no selling.

I don't get Tye Dillinger. Maybe it's that stupid power rangers collar thing he wears though, but I think he's going to flounder on the main roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom