• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 |OT| Never stop believing PG style

YoungHav said:
The last great smackdown game was Smackdown 2006. Healthy amount of legends and I had 30 full American/Japanese CAW legends.

I was going to get last year's game but the deal breaker was the fact that you could not edit CAWs that you downloaded. That was fucking dumb. If you had a superb looking Scott Hall that did a tombstone piledriver, you were stuck with that. fuck yukes for that.
Good news for this year though as you can edit wrestler and downloaded caw stats (don't think you can take them online though)

JdFoX187 said:
Also mentioned in an interview, players can now fully customize any CAW they download off THQ's community creations server. In the past, you were stuck with whatever you downloaded. But now, you can change looks, attributes, abilities and moves. After a couple weeks, the community should have some very nice CAWs of the wrestlers that didn't make the final cut in the game, including one Daniel Bryan.[/B]

Finally! This was my main gripe with 2010. I would download the best Hollywood Hulk Hogan I could find only to see that his finisher is a back body drop or DDT. Not being able to change ring entrance and give him music from my PC was a breaker even more.

2011 looks the same as every year but I like the changes they made for this year's version. I just wish Daniel Bryan and Alberto Del Rio were in. Can't wait for the Wade Barret DLC, his CAW for the Bragging Rights promo looks atrocious.

HarryDemeanor said:
Finally! This was my main gripe with 2010. I would download the best Hollywood Hulk Hogan I could find only to see that his finisher is a back body drop or DDT. Not being able to change ring entrance and give him music from my PC was a breaker even more.

2011 looks the same as every year but I like the changes they made for this year's version. I just wish Daniel Bryan and Alberto Del Rio were in. Can't wait for the Wade Barret DLC, his CAW for the Bragging Rights promo looks atrocious.

Apparently there is no running leg drop again this year...

JdFoX187 said:
Brotista also has civilian clothes in the game. No pink polo shirt though :(
You can probably make his shirt pink with Superstar Threads at least. :lol
canadian crowe said:
Apparently there is no running leg drop again this year...
Well there's the crappy running ground strike that never ever connects the right way. Looks more like Finlay's running banzai drop or something. I think everyone in the game has it assigned to run => RB+X. Not nearly as good as the previous Hogan leg drop of course.

YoungHav

Banned
Has Yukes really gained anything by removing moves from the series? The shit frustrates me and these fuckers deserve to sell nothing. It's a shame they can churn this shit year in and year out and be financially successful.

I mean, smackdown 06 had Kenta Kobashi's Burning Hammer... is that move in the game still? How about the pre-made missing wrestler movesets? I fuckin hate these companies, never fully having the fans in mind.

Linkified

JdFoX187 said:
:lol It was already posted in WrassleGAF. Besides, him being in there is fairly well known now. I just don't understand what THQ and Yukes were doing when he's been in TNA since before '11 was started.

EDIT: Also, I'll be putting up a thread in the Online forum later this evening for people to list their gamertags and PSN IDs for online play. The more GAFers we get to play online, the better the whole experience would be.

He acknowledged his support for Linda running for Senate.

Plus Sheamus is awesome.

JdFoX187

Banned
YoungHav said:
Has Yukes really gained anything by removing moves from the series? The shit frustrates me and these fuckers deserve to sell nothing. It's a shame they can churn this shit year in and year out and be financially successful.

I mean, smackdown 06 had Kenta Kobashi's Burning Hammer... is that move in the game still? How about the pre-made missing wrestler movesets? I fuckin hate these companies, never fully having the fans in mind.
Every wrestler on the game has their full movesets. The reason I even buy the DLC wrestlers is because their unique moves are also added into the game. Some times they'll remove moves that have been exploited (hello striking spear) or others that look horrible in animation. I've seen some examples of them being removed due to being tied to wrestlers that are no longer involved with the company for some reason. But there is still a wibe amount of moves in the game, more than any wrestling games on the market past or present.

If there's one move I can live without seeing ever again, it's that rope grapple that does a snapmare into a kneedrop. God the animation on that is horrible and everyoneeeee has had that damn move for more years than I can count.

JdFoX187

Banned
iconoclast said:
If there's one move I can live without seeing ever again, it's that rope grapple that does a snapmare into a kneedrop. God the animation on that is horrible and everyoneeeee has had that damn move for more years than I can count.
Yeah, there are some shit moves that everyone seems to have. There's one quick grapple that's a set of triple kicks. Annoying as hell to watch because everyone does it.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Greg Miller is a mark. There's no point in even reading it.

He praised it but hated the grapple system and the rough Road to Wrestlemania.

He also defended his pitiful match against Bryan Williams where he spammed one move for 60 minutes.

canadian crowe said:

He also defended his pitiful match against Bryan Williams where he spammed one move for 60 minutes.

Yep, it's just as I feared. It appears that the new grapple system breaks the game against human players. Online will surely be all but broken.

Still, the biggest change is the fact that there's no longer a strong modifier for grapples. Now, the game will read how damaged your opponent is and scale your attacks based on that. That might sound fine, but I ran into a problem with it. Most of the time when you grapple, you start with a simple armbar or similar chain grapple move. From there, you move the stick again to enter into a slam or throw. Trouble is, reversing still comes down to one button this time around, and these chain grapples are really easy to reverse out of. This means that when I played people, I found myself getting into a lot of armbars, but reversed before I could get to a simple suplex. When I was playing Bryan Williams of THQ fame, I wanted to pull off different moves, but he kept reversing everything, so I found myself doing the same running attack over and over.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
canadian crowe said:

Well, that about seals the deal for me. Sorry, THQ--not this year. Breaking the grapple system is about the absolute worst thing that could have happened to this game.

JdFoX187

Banned
canadian crowe said:

The reversing was the same on '10. It sounds like he didn't like getting reversed all the time. Not so much a broken grappling system. Still, seems like it will be the same this year with people online just constantly spamming running moves. Then again, I don't think anyone expected anything different.

GQman2121 said:
It looks like the same shit, with the same lame transitional animations and awkward looking reversals. I don't know how guys do this to yourselves every year.
Smackdown is like the video game equivilent of comfort food. You know what you are getting and enjoy it for what it is.

Penguin

JdFoX187 said:
The reversing was the same on '10. It sounds like he didn't like getting reversed all the time. Not so much a broken grappling system. Still, seems like it will be the same this year with people online just constantly spamming running moves. Then again, I don't think anyone expected anything different.

I think the difference is there is no insta-grapple like there was in the older games, so its much easier to reverse grapples when you have to be in the grapple state, but I really don't know how to fix that problem without.. well they need to change the engine

JdFoX187

Banned
Penguin said:
I think the difference is there is no insta-grapple like there was in the older games, so its much easier to reverse grapples when you have to be in the grapple state, but I really don't know how to fix that problem without.. well they need to change the engine
Even in other games, reversing has been an issue. Reversing in iMPACT! was done in a similar fashion. The old Xbox games had the same issues. I don't really know how you can effectively institute a reversal system where it's impossible to counter grapples, but doesn't completely relegate them either. They should have kept the two-button grapple system though.

The reversal window is just too big. You can make it sufficiently small via the sliders, but that won't help online. Anything but the Fire Pro/KOC system is too lopsided one way or the other - in AKI games all the reversals are automatic and if you have high spirit you'll never get reversed, while in SvR you have so much control over it that actually being hit with a strong grapple move (failing to reverse both the strong grapple and the move itself) is a rarity.

Then again reversals haven't been a factor online in past SvR games, because you'd have to hit the counter button 2 or 3 seconds before the window started to compensate for the lag.

JdFoX187

Banned
BigKaboom2 said:
The reversal window is just too big. You can make it sufficiently small via the sliders, but that won't help online. Anything but the Fire Pro/KOC system is too lopsided one way or the other - in AKI games all the reversals are automatic and if you have high spirit you'll never get reversed, while in SvR you have so much control over it that actually being hit with a strong grapple move (failing to reverse both the strong grapple and the move itself) is a rarity.

Then again reversals haven't been a factor online in past SvR games, because you'd have to hit the counter button 2 or 3 seconds before the window started to compensate for the lag.
I usually don't have a problem reversing people online. People some times compensate by holding the grapple longer before attempting a move, or drag the opponent across the ring. But I know a lot of people complained last year that there wasn't enough time for the reversals. Like I said, there's no way to please anyone with it. How does Fire Pro/KOC work?

I've never actually played either one against somebody else, but when the two wrestlers lock up, both people input a command and I'm pretty sure whoever inputs it closer to a certain point in the animation wins the grapple and performs their move.

In Fire Pro, there's only one grapple state (collar and elbow tie-up) that happens when the two wrestlers collide with each other, and the reversals are sort of random based on how much damage you've done. If you try a powerbomb as the first move of the match and win the timing battle, the other guy will usually reverse it into a back body drop/hurracanrana/whatever.

In KOC, one wrestler initiates a clutch and the other player has to win the timing battle to reverse it. So you'll go into a suplex clutch which is just the front facelock with his arm over your neck, and then you'll both bend at the knees, at which point you input a command for a vertical suplex/brainbuster/etc. If they win the timing battle, depending on what button they press they'll punch you in the gut or do their own vertical suplex to counter you.

Against the CPU, if you get the timing right you'll win pretty much every grapple. I'm not sure how it works with two human players that have good timing.

Backflip

What's bothering me is that a lot of the wrestlers in the game seem to have the same moveset. And it's a lot worse during backstage brawl where you can pretty much only do chops (it's a grappling move) and running attacks.

JdFoX187

Banned
Backflip said:
What's bothering me is that a lot of the wrestlers in the game seem to have the same moveset. And it's a lot worse during backstage brawl where you can pretty much only do chops (it's a grappling move) and running attacks.
That's always been the problem with wrestling games in general. It only looks terribly ridiculous when you have guys like Maestrio doing back body drops on Big Show and others. A wider moveset variety would always be welcome. I wish they'd expand their damn reversal animations. It looks better this year, but they should look into what Midway Chicago did for TNA with the chain reversals and different animations.

BigKaboom2 said:
I've never actually played either one against somebody else, but when the two wrestlers lock up, both people input a command and I'm pretty sure whoever inputs it closer to a certain point in the animation wins the grapple and performs their move.

In Fire Pro, there's only one grapple state (collar and elbow tie-up) that happens when the two wrestlers collide with each other, and the reversals are sort of random based on how much damage you've done. If you try a powerbomb as the first move of the match and win the timing battle, the other guy will usually reverse it into a back body drop/hurracanrana/whatever.

In KOC, one wrestler initiates a clutch and the other player has to win the timing battle to reverse it. So you'll go into a suplex clutch which is just the front facelock with his arm over your neck, and then you'll both bend at the knees, at which point you input a command for a vertical suplex/brainbuster/etc. If they win the timing battle, depending on what button they press they'll punch you in the gut or do their own vertical suplex to counter you.

Against the CPU, if you get the timing right you'll win pretty much every grapple. I'm not sure how it works with two human players that have good timing.
I don't know, sounds like grapples turn into a game of QTEs. I don't believe you should be able to unleash a Last Ride, or Angle Slam, with the first move of the match, but the QTEs doesn't seem like a solution. In a way, I admire THQ for trying something different with the grappling. Makes a lot more sense from a wrestling perspective to weaken a guy before doing more powerful moves.

JdFoX187 said:
I don't know, sounds like grapples turn into a game of QTEs. I don't believe you should be able to unleash a Last Ride, or Angle Slam, with the first move of the match, but the QTEs doesn't seem like a solution. In a way, I admire THQ for trying something different with the grappling. Makes a lot more sense from a wrestling perspective to weaken a guy before doing more powerful moves.

It's not really a QTE. It's just pure timing. If you hit your move once the lock-up is active two frames ahead of your opponent, you'll win the grapple. You can open up with say a Go 2 Sleep as soon as the match starts, but 99% of the time it's going to get reversed because your opponent is not weak enough. You need to work your way up from weak moves, to medium, to strong. It's pretty much a perfect system imo.

King of Colosseum is basically that same system adapted to 3D. The main difference being that there is a large variety of different grapples and different timings to learn. I've had a ton of genuinely good back and forth matches in KoC2, I wish they'd make another one. :(

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I really liked 09, but 10 didn't grab me at all (so naturally I bought two versions). I'm looking forward to this one even though I don't follow rasslin' as much as I used to. I still know almost everyone on the roster, even some of the NXT guys.

JdFoX187

Banned
iconoclast said:
It's not really a QTE. It's just pure timing. If you hit your move once the lock-up is active two frames ahead of your opponent, you'll win the grapple. You can open up with say a Go 2 Sleep as soon as the match starts, but 99% of the time it's going to get reversed because your opponent is not weak enough. You need to work your way up from weak moves, to medium, to strong. It's pretty much a perfect system imo.

King of Colosseum is basically that same system adapted to 3D. The main difference being that there is a large variety of different grapples and different timings to learn. I've had a ton of genuinely good back and forth matches in KoC2, I wish they'd make another one. :(
That doesn't sound too bad then. I know they're making that Avatar version of the game. Are there any others on the Xbox 360/PS3?

iconoclast said:

Yeah, there's really nothing recent that comes close to FPR/KOC2.

YoungHav

Banned
I fucking hate these stupid pieces of shit. Why did they change the grappling system? They just lost a day 1 sale, I'll get this used.

Lothars

YoungHav said:
I fucking hate these stupid pieces of shit. Why did they change the grappling system? They just lost a day 1 sale, I'll get this used.

Why wouldn't you try it out first before making a judgement? I don't know what to think of it but it doesn't sound that bad

At least they got rid of all wrestlers rolling to stand up when they're laying on the ground like the PS1 games/early PS2 games. That was ridiculous having Big Show roll to a quick stand as if he were lightweight/agile. :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
Majukun said:
no mick foley? seriously thq?

SERIOUSLY??

and what about all these dlc?
Mick Foley is in TNA, and has been with them for a couple years now. He had as much chance being in the game as Chris Benoit.

YoungHav said:
The grappling system hasn't changed terribly much, except you can unleash the powerful moves right away, which makes sense.

Majukun

Lothars said:
Why wouldn't you try it out first before making a judgement? I don't know what to think of it but it doesn't sound that bad

how do you suggest to try it out if there's not a demo?

JdFoX187 said:
Mick Foley is in TNA, and has been with them for a couple years now. He had as much chance being in the game as Chris Benoit.

The grappling system hasn't changed terribly much, except you can unleash the powerful moves right away, which makes sense.

so is rob van dam..and guess what?

RosterShot.png

Legends: Bret Hart (Best Buy Preorder Exclusive), Terry Funk, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Jake Roberts, The Rock, Rob Van Dam, Jimmy Snuka and Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat

and you are the one who wrote that post in the first place:lol

JdFoX187

Banned
Majukun said:
how do you suggest to try it out if there's not a demo?

so is rob van dam..and guess what?

and you are the one who wrote that post in the first place:lol
Smartass junior I see. Yes, dipshit, I wrote it. Rob Van Dam joined TNA at the beginning of the year, and has always been on good terms with the WWE. He has an open invite back to WWE whenever he'd like. Mick Foley, on the other hand, left the WWE on bad terms, and has been in TNA for a couple of years now. I really don't think you're going to see him in a WWE game any time soon.

JdFoX187 said:
Smartass junior I see. Yes, dipshit, I wrote it. Rob Van Dam joined TNA at the beginning of the year, and has always been on good terms with the WWE. He has an open invite back to WWE whenever he'd like. Mick Foley, on the other hand, left the WWE on bad terms, and has been in TNA for a couple of years now. I really don't think you're going to see him in a WWE game any time soon.

Also, apparently the reason RVD is in it is because he in a Road To Wrestlemania story line and his voice/likeness was in the game long before he debuted in TNA.

A Twisty Fluken said:
Yeah, there's really nothing recent that comes close to FPR/KOC2.
Try the Action Arcade Wrestling (360 Indie Game) trial. It's a $1 game and the creator patched in several alternate grappling systems including a Fire Pro-esque one and an AKI-esque one.

The movesets and gameplay are really limited but it's a fun time for $1. You can also make unlimited CAWs but good luck finding a suitable finisher for all of them. There's a Stunner/RKO/Sharpshooter/Figure Four etc. but nothing especially esoteric - he was going for a Wrestlefest kind of vibe.

JdFoX187

Banned
canadian crowe said:
Also, apparently the reason RVD is in it is because he in a Road To Wrestlemania story line and his voice/likeness was in the game long before he debuted in TNA.
Yeah, his voice and likeness have been in the game since SvR '07. They probably just used his model from those games and got permission to put him in the game. There was obviously permission given by both RVD and WWE to even include him in the RtWM. I'm glad though, I used a CAW of his online last year, so it's nice to have him as a regular this year.

Backflip

JdFoX187 said:
That's always been the problem with wrestling games in general. It only looks terribly ridiculous when you have guys like Maestrio doing back body drops on Big Show and others.

Yes, but I think it's way worse this year.

Lebron

Keyser Soze said:
So, those dang pirates got their hands on this... poor pirates, what have they done to deserve that!
:lol

We played it at a best buy today too, and yeah, it's still as ballsy as I remember. At least they are consistent, I'll give them that.

Top Bottom