• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Box has over 450 games out?

goodcow

Browsing EBWorld.com I found this on the X-Box hardware description:

"Choose from over 450 games"

They're already up to 450? I assumed there were around 300 now... anybody have total game counts for PS2 and Gamecube?

Junon

Banned
Is that right? I will see about 40 different titles to select from at any 1 time when I go to buy games. I assume games are rotated, but still, thats a lot and I didn't even know it had that many.

xsarien

daedsiluap
goodcow said:
Browsing EBWorld.com I found this on the X-Box hardware description:

"Choose from over 450 games"

They're already up to 450?

When it's reportedly easy as shit to port from the PC, that'll happen.

Chi-Town

OXM has ther index of review scores and it takes up 2 pages(2 columns on each page,small letters). I did a cursory count, and they have 427 listed.

xsarien

daedsiluap
OMG TEH TYP O!

You sure got me there, Dopey. My snarky post is completely refuted because of one letter. Yup.

Odysseus

Banned
goodcow said:
They're already up to 450? I assumed there were around 300 now... anybody have total game counts for PS2 and Gamecube?

I believe I saw something not too long ago that said PS2 was somewhere near 800 games. As for GameCube, I do not know, although I believe it is less than Xbox.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
According to xbox.com, if you count the games listed in the catalog, there will be 415 games released by the end of the month.

Nintendo.com lists 350.

xsarien said:
When it's reportedly easy as shit to port from the PC, that'll happen.

Well, seeing as how the PC has only had 3 games come out for it in the last 5 years, I don't see how that could pad the Xbox titles to the extent that you're inferring.

OH, SNIPPITY-SNAP

Scott

goodcow said:
Here are the most accurate US totals that I know of:

GameCube ~ 349
PlayStation 2 ~ 780
XBox ~ 453

Source: http://www.consolecity.com/games.php

It may be off by a few titles (like today's releases), but it's mostly up to date. The PS2 list also includes a handful of Greatest Hits titles (around 6 or 7), so take that into account as well.

m0dus said:
As opposed to porting up A) old nes games for rerelease, or B) old playstation games?

Seriously, dude, take the hate elsewhere. It's kind of sad.

the hate in this instance is deserved. Especially if they are arrogant enough to proclaim a no port policy

MS : "no ports for the xboxen"

crap sales on all/most titles + lacklustre jap support

MS : "we will now welcome all ports. Especially FPS"

Redbeard

Banned
So are people upset that the Xbox has PC ports, or that some guy said "No PC ports" four years ago?

I know, it's that the Xbox has more games than the Gamecube!

Didn't Nintendo say something about new franchises this generation? That really panned out. :/

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Advance Wars, Wario Ware. On top of all of their old stuff too. I'd say it panned out.

TheGreenGiant said:
the hate in this instance is deserved. Especially if they are arrogant enough to proclaim a no port policy

MS : "no ports for the xboxen"

crap sales on all/most titles + lacklustre jap support

MS : "we will now welcome all ports. Especially FPS"

The Green Giant it is nintendo fans like you that make me sick, first nbot's hate Sega and than they hate Sony and now MS. I can not stand the fanatical Nintendo fan. I know all nintendo fan are not fanatic but the fanatical ones make Nintendo fans look bad.

Redbeard

Banned
Mejilan said:
Fire Emblem, Pikmin, Advance Wars, Wario Ware. On top of all of their old stuff too. I'd say it panned out.

My ass it panned out. Fire Emblem isn't new, and another two are GC versions of GBA games (which aren't even as good).

Nintendo has 350 games? When it's easy as shit to rehash all their old material, that'll happen.

sonic4ever said:
The Green Giant it is nintendo fans like you that make me sick, first nbot's hate Sega and than they hate Sony and now MS. I can not stand the fanatical Nintendo fan. I know all nintendo fan are not fanatic but the fanatical ones make Nintendo fans look bad.

twice, you've said this bs about fantantical nbots. deal with it. sissy.

i happen to like sega (not the way it is now) and I also like sony. Just because I'm right doesn't mean I'm fantatical. In contrast, Nintendo gets all the world of hate for their "so called ports"; but they'd never said they weren't going for ports.

see: Kobun's post is clear as day. Backflipping on their port policy. Stacks of ported games on the xbox and if MS/XNA goes the way it does. Play all your pc games on XENON (because we can't get jap devs!)

m0dus said:
Um, sorry, *where* did they proclaim a 'no port policy'? sounds like you're spewing utter BS, especially considering they touted the Xbox as sharing both console and PC strengths. As I recall, they mentioned a policy of "No PC ports without XBOX specific enhancements" and that has stood up pretty damn well. And that doesn't include games that are simultaneously developed for PC and Xbox.

owned. biatch

xsarien

daedsiluap
For fuck's sake, I make one pithy little remark and a small infantry of fanboys start bouncing off the walls while I'm watching Law and Order?

Listen (read, actually):
My comment wasn't clear, fine, I'll rectify. I meant code specifically. So any Joe PC developer could take an XBox dev kit, say "Oh, damn, I can pick this up in no time, and maybe move my current stuff over to this, too." This goes for companies big and small, you'll find it no coincidence that there are plenty of games out there labeled "PC and XBox." It's not serendipity, it's publishers wanting to get something more out of a game's development costs than a PC game that's either 1) going to get pirated to kingdom come; 2) relegated to the bargain bin within a month. And hey, it's kind of a GOOD thing. Developers that would normally never touch a console are developing for the XBox. Why? Because it's pretty much like developing for the PC.

Besides, what's the big, big XBox game everybody's waiting on that isn't called "Halo 2" (or, arguably - just arguably, because it's not exactly aiming for the mainstream gamer - Fable)?

Right, Doom 3.

There's no shame here. Jesus, and people call the Nintendo fans touchy.

so a few People are upset becuase a person at MS once said " NO PORT POLICY"? Games are games, and Ima sure any of the 3 companies would take any pc port any day of the week. Also what companies say mean very little these days. Sega said they were going to be a Big as Ea. Sony said that people would be able to download movuies and music to the PS2. Nintendo said they were going to have have toystory graphics back in the N64 days and recently they said thier would be alot of new ideas for the Gamecube. These example show that companies will say anything and change on a dime. Times and companies change, and we all should just go with the flow.

Junon

Banned
xsarien said:
For fuck's sake, I make one pithy little remark and a small infantry of fanboys start bouncing off the walls while I'm watching Law and Order?

Listen (read, actually):
My comment wasn't clear, fine, I'll rectify. I meant code specifically. So any Joe PC developer could take an XBox dev kit, say "Oh, damn, I can pick this up in no time, and maybe move my current stuff over to this, too." This goes for companies big and small, you'll find it no coincidence that there are plenty of games out there labeled "PC and XBox." It's not serendipity, it's publishers wanting to get something more out of a game's development costs than a PC game that's either 1) going to get pirated to kingdom come; 2) relegated to the bargain bin within a month. And hey, it's kind of a GOOD thing. Developers that would normally never touch a console are developing for the XBox. Why? Because it's pretty much like developing for the PC.

Besides, what's the big, big XBox game everybody's waiting on that isn't called "Halo 2" (or, arguably - just arguably, because it's not exactly aiming for the mainstream gamer - Fable)?

Right, Doom 3.

There's no shame here. Jesus, and people call the Nintendo fans touchy.

Your intentions were clear. You, a known nintendo fanboy, enters an Xbox topic. You pull out a stupid remark to incite the fanboys, and of course others reply to you in kind. You mask this by either playing it off as a joke or as something else, but we all see right through you.

A.k.a. trolling. Something people normally get banned for.

Now that everybody else on the forum seems to be banned, should I add that I never thought it was a great idea to just have a hard-line 'no PC ports' policy? Didn't make sense to me, although one of the things MS had to do back then was to prove to the world that the Xbox was a game console. They don't have to do that anymore.

TheGreenGiant said:
In contrast, Nintendo gets all the world of hate for their "so called ports"; but they'd never said they weren't going for ports.

I assume you are referring to GBA ports. I for one think it is smart for Nintendo to do this, just to let you Know. I wish Sega would start doing this with thier Old Genesis and system 16 games.

if you cruxify MS for what someone said in 2001, then you have to do the same to Sony and Nintendo. We all know companies make stupid statements.

Junon

Banned
I actually kind of liked the idea of being able to port PC games to Consoles, not so much for myself but for many console-only games that would get to experience some games they normally couldn't, say for example, like Doom III coming to Xbox. I played the original DOOM on the 32X for the first time, back then I couldn't afford a PC. But at least I got to experience DOOM.

Junon

Banned
Since we're on confessions. My first Quake III experience was on Dreamcast, and I loved it. I even bought a Keyboard and Mouse with it. I didn't my own PC still, even then. It was like one of the first Online Gaming experiences I had as well. Another reason why I support PC-to-Consoles.

Rhindle

Ports or no ports, Xbox now has better Western developer support than Sony does. Microsoft has done a bang-up job of courting Western developers. Which is what is going to count next gen.

Prine

Banned
Rhindle talking sense again.

More western support is a good thing.

And man, so many bans in a single thread.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Mike Works said:
WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT MY CONSOLE?!?!?

I'LL MOP THE FLOOR WITH YA

I'd send you a bunch of hot ass bitches so they could suck your dick all night if I knew were you lived.

But I guess a THANK YOU will suffice...for now.

Scott

AirBrian said:
tothegame.com (who's pretty accurate) has:

PS2 - 731
Xbox - 470
GCN - 332
I just spent some time looking over the lists, and they're not very accurate at all... The totals include UK-only releases, for one, which is padding the totals (XBox especially), but even then the GC & PS2 lists still fall way short.

Nothing against this site, though, as it's no doubt a pain in the ass to keep these lists accurate. I think ConsoleCity's stays up to date simply because the webmaster is a masochist. :p

Rhindle said:
Ports or no ports, Xbox now has better Western developer support than Sony does. Microsoft has done a bang-up job of courting Western developers. Which is what is going to count [BIG] next gen.

I absolutely super-duper, mega-turbo agree with this statement. "[BIG]" added for emphasis.

firex

I was wondering why xsarien got banned (since I usually read the OT forum or just look at PC topics in gaming) and now it's plain as day. I just hope that when his ban is up, XP SP2 is flawless, iPods blow, and Xbox2 (or whatever it's going to be called) will have every feature of ps3 and gc2 combined for $50 less.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Rhindle said:
Ports or no ports, Xbox now has better Western developer support than Sony does. Microsoft has done a bang-up job of courting Western developers. Which is what is going to count next gen.

Only in mainstream America... Without innovative Japanese licenses, MS can't hope to overcome Sony.

jarrod

Banned
Rhindle said:
Better American support is arguable (though really XBox's only edge over PS2 seems to be PC ports, something which may not pan out next gen with the architecture shift) but I'd say Sony still has the advantage in European developer support by far (not surprising when PS2 outnumbers XBox over 6 to 1 in the region).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
European developers? Like who?

Europe seems pretty 50/50 to me support wise, unless you are including SCEE which seems a bit cheap as those developers dont have a choice ;)

AirBrian

Scott said:
I just spent some time looking over the lists, and they're not very accurate at all... The totals include UK-only releases, for one, which is padding the totals (XBox especially), but even then the GC & PS2 lists still fall way short.

Nothing against this site, though, as it's no doubt a pain in the ass to keep these lists accurate. I think ConsoleCity's stays up to date simply because the webmaster is a masochist. :p
Ah, forgot to mention you can sort the lists by US or UK release and just subtract out the few titles that were only released in the UK. ConsoleCity's list are also nice though. :)

jarrod

Banned
Ghost said:
European developers? Like who?

Europe seems pretty 50/50 to me support wise, unless you are including SCEE which seems a bit cheap as those developers dont have a choice ;)
By the same token, most of XBox's notable EU developed games (Fable, RSC, Conker, etc) seem to be commissioned by Microsoft directly. ;)

I'd just say though that overall, notable 3rd party Euro developers (Ubi France, Rockstar North, Melbourne House, Warthog, Core Design, Atari, Reflections, etc) put PS2 first. XBox's main advantage in western support has been in bringing American PC developers into console development, thanks more to a familiar architecture than anything... and with Xenon they suddenly lose that advantage (hence the scramble for pushing XNA to unify Xenon & PC development).

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
jarrod said:
By the same token, most of XBox's notable EU developed games (Fable, RSC, Conker, etc) seem to be commissioned by Microsoft directly. ;)

I'd just say though that overall, notable 3rd party Euro developers (Ubi France, Rockstar North, Melbourne House, Warthog, Core Design, Atari, Reflections, etc) put PS2 first. XBox's main advantage in western support has been in bringing American PC developers into console development, thanks more to a familiar architecture than anything... and with Xenon they suddenly lose that advantage (hence the scramble for pushing XNA to unify Xenon & PC development).

No obviously MGS games wouldnt count either, thats why i said 50/50.

Melbourne house are definitely behind PS2, no doubt about that but Reflections? yes Stuntman was Ps2 exclusive but Driv3r was on Xbox and did well too so i wouldn't say they nor Atari on the whole are that heavily behind the PS2 now.

Core Design, yeah they were behind PS2 but they are pretty much dead in the water right now with Tomb Raider gone and Toby Gard seemingly back behind the reigns id say PS2 (or 3) exclusivity on that franchise is definitely in the balance (though Crystal Dynamics is an American house so thats not a issue here).

Warthog i wouldnt place in the Ps2 camp at all, they were firmly behind xbox with Mace Griffin before publishers changed and they were forced to fuck about with the game and port it to PS2, obviously depends how you interpret the situation.

Rockstar North, yeah they are behind the PS2 but again its not like they have a lot of choice in the matter following the Sony Deal. Id put them in the sony column though.

The biggest independant dev seemingly behind xbox that springs to mind is Climax with Moto GP URT console exclusive to xbox and published by THQ. And if your including past games, Yager also published by THQ (developed in Germany) and Galleon from Sci(Toby Gard), Deathrow from Southend Interactive (Sweden)(they also did the Xbox XIII port) and probably most impressively this gen Starbreeze with Enclave and Riddick (Also Sweden)

50/50 might have been an exaggeration on my part, definitely due to the hardware advantage you pointed out earlier no doubt PS2 is the development platform on the majority of european titles, but the Xbox port is becoming next to essential for most developers, and Xbox has emassed a very impressive set of exclusive 3rd party exclusives coming from europe, if you are looking over the consoles life of course the PS2 is gonna come out on top, but Xbox has gathered a lot of respect from european developers over the last 2 years.

Its definitely not "by far" any more, as you suggested in your first post

Top Bottom