• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men Arcade |OT| of Six-Player Online Multiplayer (XBLA/PSN)

Lettuce

So does Konami still hold the license for X-men then?, as im sure they dont anymore so how can they have the rights to release this game??

Fingers crossed for Capcom to get off there butts and release AvP, The Punisher, Dungeons and Dragons and Cadillac and Dinosaurs

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I find most old Beat 'em ups more enjoyable than the character-less trippy shooter stuff like Geometry Wars, or the "Gaming Zen" stuff like Miner Dig Deep. The character personality and animation, the music... also, in these brawlers, I can always feel like I accomplished alot, having seen so many sites, fought a variety of many enemies, and taken down bosses that seemed challenging, and kept me on my toes, even if the playtime was just an hour or 2.

In a way, the filler-stuffed games of today make me appreciate these older games more.

(Still want more games like Guardian Heroes.)

Herbspicesoy said:
I'm surprised people still like these beat 'em ups. As much as I though they were awesome back in the day, they feel repetitive and monotonous as hell to me now.
I guess it also makes it hard to enjoy oldies after having experienced God Hand.

Just look at Castle Crashers which speaks for itself, TMNT is still in the top 20 on XBLA 3 years later, Scott Pilgrim the Game... there's a market for conveyor belt action.

Teknoman

Herbspicesoy said:
I'm surprised people still like these beat 'em ups. As much as I though they were awesome back in the day, they feel repetitive and monotonous as hell to me now.
I guess it also makes it hard to enjoy oldies after having experienced God Hand.

Play them co-op, make sure its one with a catchy soundtrack and inventive enemy design/cheesy voice taunts, and you're good to go.

Beat em ups can be boring if you play them over and over single player, but MP mindless punching is always fun.

Also yeah, savage land music is the only theme I remember for some reason :lol

EDIT: Damn it, I want my true Turtles in Time, and online with awesome Neon nightriders music. Also Guardian Heroes HD please.

Online Sunsetriders would be great too.

Thank god for this, Mame fucks up the music badly in this game for some reason. 10$ is worth it just for the soundtrack and some mindless fun.

Teknoman

Speaking of God Hand, i think it would be kinda cool if Capcom made some sort of 2d HD God Hand universe beat em up.

I know we've got next to no chance for a sequel, but its too good of a universe to just sit by the way side...and I doubt they'd go through with a full on 3d God Hand title anytime soon.

Either that or a God Hand/Viewtiful crossover beat em up :lol

OMFGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!

$10??
6 player local + online?!?!?
Not ported by Backbone??!?!?!?!?

Bought x 1000!!!

I can't believe I hadn't heard this was coming out! I literally almost bought the original arcade just to be able to play this thing with awesome 6+ players. Too bad the arcade machine is gigantic!

MightyHedgehog said:
Was certain it was. Not that it really matters, IMO, as BB has done some rather good emulation jobs, like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection.
the port is apparently done by the original developers

Lance Bone Path said:
In general the most efficient way to take out a boss is to let one person handle the boss and have one other person stay close enough to break a grab with a leap attack. Bosses and other enemies in general will pursue a single character and will pursue only that character unless another character either hits it or another character is in (horizontal) line with it.

Breaking a grab is one of the few good uses of a power in the non-Japanese version if you don't have someone to break the grab.

One of the quirks of the game is that if multiple characters are attacking at the same time, only the least damaging attack is counted when more than one hit lands at the same time. This means that a super power attack could be canceled out by some schmuck spamming the attack button for a combo.

When I played the game with other people who knew what they were doing, one of us would generally volunteer to take care of the boss. Most of the time it would be the person playing Nightcrawler.

Haha that is some neat stuff. Damage-canceling was also a bit of a deal in Phantasy Star Online. It didn't meant much for most players but those doing C-mode swear by it.

Good info. I'll have to keep these things in mind when the game arrives.

For some odd reason I wanna do an official beatemup thread. I have no talent for screenshots though. sigh

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
ON PSN THE 14TH!!!! REJOICE!!!!!

Sorry I just read that PSN would not be 2 months back. I've been gone for a week.

1 day before XBLA too.

kassatsu

Banned
_dementia said:
the port is apparently done by the original developers
El Segundo, Calif. - Oct 11, 2010 - KONAMI and Marvel Entertainment announced today that X-Men Arcade is coming to PlayStation®Network and Xbox LIVE®Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft this year. Developed by Backbone Entertainment, this first ever home version of the popular 1992 cabinet arcade classic allows players to join their favorite X-Men characters in what is widely considered their first great video game appearance.

kassatsu said:
El Segundo, Calif. - Oct 11, 2010 - KONAMI and Marvel Entertainment announced today that X-Men Arcade is coming to PlayStation®Network and Xbox LIVE®Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft this year. Developed by Backbone Entertainment, this first ever home version of the popular 1992 cabinet arcade classic allows players to join their favorite X-Men characters in what is widely considered their first great video game appearance.
Gotcha. I guess I was giving too much credit to this post.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24686862&postcount=345

Kafel

Banned
kassatsu said:

I pictured PhoenixDark's avatar when I read your message :lol

So it's the 14th, and I'm not seeing it available to download? When does the PStore update cuz I just searched manually and looked at new releases and its not there. Anyone else find it on PSN?

LosDaddie

Banned
Day 1 on XBLA for me, but I'll eventually buy both versions. I expect the community to be larger on XBL and that's where most of my friends are.

Seriously, this is a dream come true for me. I've been wanting to play this game for years. Best gen ever confirmed! :D

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Where the hell do you guys find five other people just lying around wanting to play some old arcade game?

I'm wondering this too. The most I have at my place is my neighbor for some NCAA/NBA 2k/Halo gaming

ismaboof

BigBadShamoo said:
So it's the 14th, and I'm not seeing it available to download? When does the PStore update cuz I just searched manually and looked at new releases and its not there. Anyone else find it on PSN?
Check back in five hours. I'm not kidding

LosDaddie said:
I'm wondering this too. The most I have at my place is my neighbor from some NCAA/NBA 2k/Halo gaming
Age probably has a big thing to do with it. In my case all my friends will be in town for break.

lupinko

Wait I thought this was delayed till Feb for PSN due to exclusivity with XBLA?

Who the hell came up with that again in the other Konami X-Men thread anyway?

grr.

Hopefully the port is not bad, since this is Backbone.

GeoramA

lupinko said:
Wait I thought this was delayed till Feb for PSN due to exclusivity with XBLA?

Who the hell came up with that again in the other Konami X-Men thread anyway?

grr.

Hopefully the port is not bad, since this is Backbone.
That was according to Eurogamer. Glad they were wrong

LosDaddie

Banned
_dementia said:
Age probably has a big thing to do with it. In my case all my friends will be in town for break.

yeah, it was easier to get with friends when I was in college too. Not so much now that we're all older with wife/kids/houses....aka Grumpy Old Men

distantmantra said:
I do a monthly "Man Night" at my house with 6-7 of my close guy friends.

Nice! Once a month is what I could convince my wife to "allow" my friends over at the same time.....if my friends were into gaming, that is.

Cimarron

Awesome! I'm buying the XBLA version tommorrow. I've been waiting almost 2 decades. ABOUT FRAKIN TIME! GT: Magus Cimarron if you want to get a game. Can't wait! :D

LosDaddie said:
Nice! Once a month is what I could convince my wife to "allow" my friends over at the same time.....if my friends were into gaming, that is.

We play some Rock Band, but gaming really isn't the focus of Man Night. My wife gets together with all of our female friends the same night. Works out really well.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Teh fuck? Backbone?

Can anyone who bought early please post impressions? I'm really hesitant to support the developer.

olubode said:
Teh fuck? Backbone?

Can anyone who bought early please post impressions? I'm really hesitant to support the developer.

There not bad, there just a no frills developers. SF2: HD was awesome, Streets of Rage 2 was good.

Think I'm gonna buy this only if it's Deal of the Week. 10 bucks for a half hour game is a little much. Nostalgia only goes so far.

Woopsy, scratch that last part. My fault on the misinformation. Backbone didn't do SA. Sega's own studios did it.

Overall it seems pretty faithful to the original arcade version. I think some of the voices were re-dubbed. Kitty sounds different.

Lag is really shitty in online mode and there are a lot of disconnects and temporary freezing. Local game mode seems to be okay. If you are someone who does throws on purpose (I did this all the time when I played in the arcade), you will be pretty unhappy with playing online.

Maybe it doesn't matter since the vast majority of players you will find online are terribad. They will spam the power button until they run out and then go into suicide melee mode. You can play this way when you have infinite credits, but there really should have been something to discourage people from playing stupidly, and there isn't.

(Friend me if you want to play non-power-spam co-op. PSN is in my profile.)

Rlan

riceandbeans said:
There not bad, there just a no frills developers. SF2: HD was awesome, Streets of Rage 2 was good, and Sonic Adventure was as no frills as it gets.

Think I'm gonna buy this only if it's Deal of the Week. 10 bucks for a half hour game is a little much. Nostalgia only goes so far.

They didn't port Sonic Adventure as far as I know. All the Sega "Dreamcast" ports have been outsourced, but Backbone aint in the credits.

Top Bottom