• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Men Legends - IGN review

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/549/549704p1.html

8.5 Presentation
The best use of the X-Men license in a video game. Lots of characters, plenty of extras, and a story that works perfectly for the X-Universe.
7.0 Graphics
In motion the game looks very nice with some attractive effects and tons of destructible environments. When not moving, characters have non-descript faces and oven-mitts for hands.
7.0 Sound
There's not a lot going on in the score, not enough to make it particularly memorable, but the SFX are pretty good. Voice-acting is 50% great and 50% terrible.
8.5 Gameplay
Lots of fun to play alone or with four players. Some bad points, including stupid AI allies, but overall one of the better dungeon-crawling experiences out there.
9.0 Lasting Appeal
A sizable quest that will take 20-30 hours depending on skill level. Lots of Danger Room scenarios, three flashback missions, and adversarial multiplayer. Easily the most robust X-Men game ever made.
8.4 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)

"X-Men Legends doesn't really impress technically in terms of sound or visuals, but it's really all about the combat anyway. The fighting is simple, addictive, and enjoyable throughout the long adventure. It's nice to see the X-Men get their due with a game that truly showcases what has made the comics great for three decades. There are a few things that will annoy people, particularly the accidental suicides, but most of Legends is a joy. The story is good, very fitting for the X-Men universe, and every character but Cyclops is perfectly realized. It's more fun with friends, but is still enjoyable all by your lonesome. With a long, involved story mode and bonus modes beyond that, this one will take up a chunk of your life. X-Men Legends is a must for any X-Men fan or fan of dungeon-crawling RPGs."

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Interested to see what the Xbox score will be. 480p makes a major difference on the graphics.

Fifty

Awesome. This really snuck up on me. I was planning to just buy DJ:FFNY but now I'll have to pick this up. Nice to see Activision establishing a good track record with licensed games.

Fifty

It explains that on page 4, right before the closing comments. I'm not sure we're supposed to post direct quotes from sites beyond the closing comments, so I'll let you find it.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Marty Chinn said:
Screw 480p, play it in 720p!

Whoops, you're right. I'm an idiot. Not a lot of games support 720p, and this game looks great in hi-def. Damn shame that they gave the Xbox version the same score as the PS2. The graphics are definitely not the same with the different resolutions.

Ya, I've been playing it all weekend. Xbox version is definitely one to get cuz it's the only one that does widescreen and progressive scan.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Oh dear this game sounds great! 20+ hour hack and slash with 15 X-men? 4-player co-op? 720p???

Ugh, like I really needed another game to ponder purchasing this week...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So does 'hard' mean taking cautious restraint to 'run-and-gun' mash happy tendencies?

Or are we talking communication breakdown as everyone pulls the screen in 8 directions causing off screen hits and environment hangups?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Cloudy said:
Why would anyone be a fan of dungeon crawlers? >_<

Diablo 2 and Phantasy Star Online are dungeon crawlers, but nobody complains about those.

Brandon F said:
So does 'hard' mean taking cautious restraint to 'run-and-gun' mash happy tendencies?

Or are we talking communication breakdown as everyone pulls the screen in 8 directions causing off screen hits and environment hangups?

There's only a few levels where you have to be careful. Other than those, you can run and gun through the majority of the game, especially when you get your characters juiced up. Then it's a killing spree.

Vgamer

Wow I just was watching some game clips and heard Prof X talking and was like wow Thats Patrick Stewart Prof X himself talking! I didnt know they got Patrick Stewart to do Prof X's Voice in this game! Thats pretty cool!

Brandon F said:

Both.

Blatz

I got it and it ROCKS!!

Tons of fun especially if you like the 4-player dungeon crawlers. But I have a feeling I will finish this one and it will be my favorite.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Blatz said:
I got it and it ROCKS!!

Tons of fun especially if you like the 4-player dungeon crawlers. But I have a feeling I will finish this one and it will be my favorite.

I've been pimping it for a few days but...more love! My favorite dungeon crawler on a console without a doubt. Such a good game.

Top Bottom