• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBMC 1.0.0 released

Ecrofirt

Xbox Media Center 1.0.0 has been released. It's a program for people with modded Xboxes that lets you play lots of different kinds of media.

I'm sure Cockles or someone else can explain better. I'm off to download it!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I tried unsuccessfully last night to grab this on IRC. Said it was using all connection or something.

Did they get rid of the skin that was in the last CVS build? The blue and orange?

This now in #XBINS or is it the same as before?

Kon Tiki

Banned
Damn xbins ftp was crammed all night. I installed a version from wam froma torrent, still says CVS in the sys info.

jedimike

DaCocoBrova said:
I tried unsuccessfully last night to grab this on IRC. Said it was using all connection or something.

Did they get rid of the skin that was in the last CVS build? The blue and orange?

This now in #XBINS or is it the same as before?

AFAIK, it has it's own FTP, but it's nearly impossible to get on it. Limited connections.

DaCocoBrova

Thanks.

So, since this is an official release, it'll be on #XBINS.

Ecrofirt

xbmp.uk.xbins.org

not that it makes a fucking difference to me. I tried installing the thing, and my X-bit wasn't loading. So I reseated the damn thing, and now I'm getting Error 12 and the whole goddamn thing is fucking up. I can't get my Xbox to boot at all.

When you send songs and videos and stuff onto your Xbox through the FTP, what folder should you put the different stuff into? Like is there a certain "Music" or "video" folder I should be using?

DaCocoBrova

That really sucks.

I have an Xecuter 1.0 and an XBOX 1.0 and this thing gets used daily and has never failed once. I have to mod a box next week, and was debating on whether or not to go w/ the X.B.I.T. or the the aussie chip (Xenium)... Hmmm.

Oh, and that's not a good error. Not at all...

12 - kernel - DVD parameters (PIO/DMA)
Then again, what error is good? lol!

When you send songs and videos and stuff onto your Xbox through the FTP, what folder should you put the different stuff into? Like is there a certain "Music" or "video" folder I should be using?

I don't see the point in doing that. Unless you take your (big ass) XBOX to different places, the data never has to be stored physically on the XBOX. You stream it w/ (SMB) shares.

I can't get my Xbox to boot at all.

You really should have a Evo-X or Slayers disc. Put that in while you boot. Once you're in, FTP to the thing and make the necessary file changes, reboot and voila. I hosed my entire C: on my XBOX and thought I'd never get back to the way things were. I did the above and all was well.

Ecrofirt

A Slayers disc wouldn't have helped with the problem. Somehow the yellow cords to the DVD drive came unplugged from the motherboard when I was putting everything back together.

It's fixed now though, so I'm about to put XBMC on it.

DaCocoBrova said:
I don't see the point in doing that. Unless you take your (big ass) XBOX to different places, the data never has to be stored physically on the XBOX. You stream it w/ (SMB) shares.

Well I ask because I'm going out of town this weekend to visit some relatives and thought it would be fun to show off the abilities of my new fangled Xbox... Do you have any idea as to how I might be able to just load songs/videos onto the Xbox HD (and where I would put them).

jedimike

DaCocoBrova said:
That really sucks.

I have an Xecuter 1.0 and an XBOX 1.0 and this thing gets used daily and has never failed once. I have to mod a box next week, and was debating on whether or not to go w/ the X.B.I.T. or the the aussie chip (Xenium)... Hmmm.

I'm running Xenium. The OS really makes it easy to do some of the bullshit tasks like formatting partitions, locking drives, etc.

plus the new Xenium ice is out and comes preloaded with OS 2.0

DaCocoBrova

^^^

When did you join 'Us'? I thought you had a vanilla XBOX.

Heaven on earth ain't it?

Explain the whole OS thing? Is it just a different looking Evo-X equivelant?

Do you have any idea as to how I might be able to just load songs/videos onto the Xbox HD (and where I would put them).

Put them anywhere you want ('cept for C: ). There are other variables involved such as, do you have F: enabled, do you have a larger size aftermarket HDD etc.

I'd just burn a DVD w/ 4.6GB of mp3's and vids and save HDD space for ROMS and XBOX games.

Ecrofirt

Yea, I'd also like to know about the OS. I've been wondering that for awhile now.

And to get mp3s on your system, you need a a cable to connect the Xbox to the PC (crossover cable if you're not on a network). get XBMC, set up your IP and everything, and you can FTP to your Xbox. Put your mp3s anywhere you like on your E drive, and then play them in XBMC.

jedimike

DaCocoBrova said:
^^^

When did you join 'Us'? I thought you had a vanilla XBOX.

Heaven on earth ain't it?

I did mine about 3 weeks ago, which is a lot of the reason why you haven't seen much of me on the boards. :D I ended up modding my Halo LE Xbox because I couldn't get the fucking solder out of the LPC on my 1.0 Xbox. I got access to some high end soldering stations and still couldn't get it out...

The OS basically lets you have full control of your bios(s) and hard drive. It has FTP built in so you don't have to mess with configuring anything. I was able to upgrade my hard drive simply by slaving a new drive to my original hard drive and hitting "upgrade" in the OS. You can assign hot buttons to the bioses including the original. Just follow the Xenium link for more info.

Still don't have a lot of things figured out. Emulators have been pissing me off (rom naming) and I haven't streamed anything on XBMC.

DaCocoBrova

Sold! I think I'll give my man the one I have and start fresh w/ a Philips drive and and a Xenium Ice.

Solderless? If not, what's the best solderless chip (pogo pins)?

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
DaCocoBrova said:

Aside from the aforementioned disk utils, it's also got a built in ftp/telnet server, and 2.0 will let you load a bios off the HDD, through SMB, or even from a USB pen drive.

The feature list:

Greatly improved user interface, combining crisp graphics with intuitive navigation, utilizing menus, popups, file selectors, alert/information/question dialogs, and task-specific dialogs such as an IP keypad and straightforward onscreen keyboard

Brand new video drivers, providing a much cleaner, clearer picture

Built-in FTP server, without relying on launching a second app or OS

Full client/server SMB (Windows Networking) support, integrated directly with the file system drivers, allowing you to copy files Xbox->pc and pc->Xbox, from either XOS or your PC

A preliminary telnet server (very much a work in progress, but something we hope will become a valuable tool in the future)

Full DHCP support, with static IP fallback

A new "Virtual Bank" system, eliminating the need for selecting bank modes, and greatly simplifying the flashing process

A straightforward HDD upgrade wizard

A detailed exception handler, which will generate an error report file to help us diagnose problems and fix bugs more rapidly

Full no-copy, asynchronous (read: FAST) USB device support, including support for USB keyboard and mouse (UI integration still in progress)

USB "Pen drive" support, allowing you to flash a bios and copy files from a USB memory stick or other mass storage device

Improved HDD support, covering a wider range of drives and setups, including LBA48 and multiple hard drives

UDMA support (disabled for beta) for maximum HDD performance

File system cache for efficient file operations

Raw I/O support for HDD operations (potential for utilities such as defrag, scandisk, etc)

Vastly improved flashing speeds. (Erase, Flash, and Verify 256k in 6 seconds, 1 meg in 25.5 seconds!)

Fully preemptive, multitasking kernel, supporting threading, semaphores, mailboxes, message passing, critical sections, etc.... with a task switch overhead of under 0.2 microseconds... allowing all services and applications to run concurrently and efficiently, without stability concerns

DLL support to load add-ins and additional future functionality from HDD or flash

Flash Unconstrained Core Kernel Initialization Technology, allowing you to load bioses directly from HDD, without flashing them to a bank

DaCocoBrova said:
^^^

Put them anywhere you want ('cept for C: ). There are other variables involved such as, do you have F: enabled, do you have a larger size aftermarket HDD etc.

I'd just burn a DVD w/ 4.6GB of mp3's and vids and save HDD space for ROMS and XBOX games.

I have a 120 GB HD, so I have plenty of space. I made a folder in my XBMC folder titled "Videos" and put some video files in there... Is that OK to do?

jedimike

DaCocoBrova said:
Sold! I think I'll give my man the one I have and start fresh w/ a Philips drive and and a Xenium Ice.

Solderless? If not, what's the best solderless chip (pogo pins)?

I did mine solderless (blue thing in pic) , but I am going to remove it and use the pin header. Solderless works great if you don't move your Xbox around a lot. The D0 sticks good, but the adapter sometimes loses contact with LPC when you move your Xbox around.

solderless_kitAll.jpg

Ecrofirt

Well, I'm enjoying 1.0 so far. They got rid of a bug I reported earlier this week :p.

I don't get the point of mose of the 50 million scripts that came with it though.

FightyF

Banned
The problem I have with XBMC's mp3 playback is that you can't fast forward and rewind. I have hourlong mixes...I might have to break them up before popping them onto the skbox.

Picture quality for videos using this XBMC doesn't seem as clear as the Xbox Media Player that came with Slayer's Auto Installer. :(

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
DIrtyWeasel said:
Picture quality for videos using this XBMC doesn't seem as clear as the Xbox Media Player that came with Slayer's Auto Installer. :(
I like yer handle.

Bruce Vilanch said:
I have a 120 GB HD, so I have plenty of space. I made a folder in my XBMC folder titled "Videos" and put some video files in there... Is that OK to do?
Yes, that's fine, wherever you want.
I have my media in folders like F:\videos or F:\music.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Bruce Vilanch said:

just make a folder called videos on your f: drive put them in there. that's where the bulk of your storage should be (your f: drives enabled right?)

My f: looks has 3 folders

games
emulation
media

with as many subfolders underneath as I need. XBMC fully browses the box just like a computer so stick them where you want.

Ecrofirt

Fight for Freeform said:
The problem I have with XBMC's mp3 playback is that you can't fast forward and rewind. I have hourlong mixes...I might have to break them up before popping them onto the skbox.

Wrong.

You can edit the keymap.xml file to allow fast forwarding and rewinding.

look for the part that looks like this:

Code:
<action>
      <description>FastForward music</description>
      <id>77</id>
      <gamepad>righttrigger</gamepad>
      <remote>forward</remote>
    </action>
    <action>
      <description>Rewind music</description>
      <id>78</id>
      <gamepad>lefttrigger</gamepad>
      <remote>reverse</remote>
    </action>
it's near the top. Add in the <gamepad> stuff like I did, and you're good to go.

aku:jiki

Bruce Vilanch said:
You can put anything you want in any dir on drives C, E and F. C is mainly used for the OS, though, and it's small so you're better off not messing around with it. You can store anything you want in any dir on the other two drives, though.

Don't put anything you'll miss on drives X, Y and Z. Those are cache drives that will automatically delete everything on them following a program cycle (think it's every 3rd run program wipes the disks).

As other people have said, F is the common choice since it's the biggest partition. Just thought I'd warn you of X/Y/Z.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Ecrofirt said:
Wrong.

You can edit the keymap.xml file to allow fast forwarding and rewinding.

look for the part that looks like this:

Code:
<action>
      <description>FastForward music</description>
      <id>77</id>
      <gamepad>righttrigger</gamepad>
      <remote>forward</remote>
    </action>
    <action>
      <description>Rewind music</description>
      <id>78</id>
      <gamepad>lefttrigger</gamepad>
      <remote>reverse</remote>
    </action>
it's near the top. Add in the <gamepad> stuff like I did, and you're good to go.

I love XML.

Just thought id say.

While im here though...

Ive finally had a chance to really play with my modded Xbox now ive finished unversity for the year (w00 2:1!) the media stuff is awesome, i love it to bits. But im pretty disapointed with the emulation side of things, most N64 games dont work or run really slow and i hadnt realised that Mameox doesnt support virtual memory and so it cant run games over 64 megs (which is basically all the games i wanted it for minus Simpsons Arcade) the Snes & earlier stuff is great but theres only a handfull of games from that era i still want to play, and most of those are purely for nostalgia reasons...

Guess i got caught up in the hype and forgot that Xbox is just a celeron and 64 megs of ram :-/

Still, im glad i modded, XMBC was worth it alone.

rastex

Banned
For all those people that want a lot of the nice features of a modded box without the hassle of installing a chip, having the chance of messing up live, or anything like that, just use the Soft Mod. You don't even need to install anything, just emulators if you want. Right now I just pop in MechAssault, load up the save file and XBMC runs automatically, from there I can FTP, run my emus and stream movies and all of that. Then I can just put in any game I want and play online or whatever. It's a VERY nice setup.

COCKLES

being watched
Anyone tried the recently released version .10 of the GBA emu?

It's got a fucking fantastic new defeault skin - looks like a professional Nintendo effort.

FightyF

Banned
What's the name of that one? I've got VBA, but I've heard that xboyadvance is the better?

-edit-
I'm guessing it's XboyAdvance since it's at v10 while VBA is at v21 or something like that

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
rastex said:
For all those people that want a lot of the nice features of a modded box without the hassle of installing a chip, having the chance of messing up live, or anything like that, just use the Soft Mod. You don't even need to install anything, just emulators if you want. Right now I just pop in MechAssault, load up the save file and XBMC runs automatically, from there I can FTP, run my emus and stream movies and all of that. Then I can just put in any game I want and play online or whatever. It's a VERY nice setup.

I prefer the initial hassle. loading something to use something different bothers me.
the live thing really is not biggie either.

Just install a switch with it, ensure that the MS dashboard is set to not auto log into live (incase you ever activate the dashboard from your mod menu) and you should be fine, get into the habit of turning your xbox on with the eject switch though, just so you don't end up running a game with the mod chip on.

rastex

Banned
I'm just paranoid that there'll be those times when I'll forget, or far more likely I'll have someone over that goes and turns the Xbox on incorrectly. It's just one of those things that'd happen.

Anyway, you have to go to your Xbox to turn it on, so I just put in MA at the same time and from there I never have to leave the couch (even to turn the xbox off) so the overhead is only about 5 seconds than chipped users and I don't have the worries.

shuri said:
Dont fuck around with uploading videos to your xbox, stream them off your network using smb

Hmm... How am I "fucking around" with my Xbox if I upload videos on there? Or are you just saying it's more of a hassle?

Bruce Vilanch said:
Hmm... How am I "fucking around" with my Xbox if I upload videos on there? Or are you just saying it's more of a hassle?

More of a hassle. You can upload music and videos but I'd much prefer streaming them off my PC HDD.

Is there any way for your Xbox/XBMC to know what you want your default music/video folder to be every time you choose to play videos and songs on your Xbox? Or do you have to navigate to the music/video folder each time?

Ecrofirt

Bruce Vilanch said:
Is there any way for your Xbox/XBMC to know what you want your default music/video folder to be every time you choose to play videos and songs on your Xbox? Or do you have to navigate to the music/video folder each time?

You can edit the XboxMediaCenter.XML file - Check the Xbox-Scene forums for info. Personally I like navigating.

Bruce Vilanch said:
shuri said:
Dont fuck around with uploading videos to your xbox, stream them off your network using smb

I've found there to be problems when playing my movies from my Xbox hard drive. I have no idea why the stuff happens, but here's an example: Some of my videos would play with really choppy audio/video from my hard drive, but not with SMB. this was an old build, so I don't know if it would still happen, but I'm not prepared to wait for a few minutes while I transfer movies over.

Ecrofirt

This is probably stupid, but is there any way to install the Xenium OS as an app, or is it something that's physically stored on the Xenium chip?

jedimike

Ecrofirt said:
This is probably stupid, but is there any way to install the Xenium OS as an app, or is it something that's physically stored on the Xenium chip?

The OS is on the chip. I think all or most of the 4th generation chips come with an OS. There are lots of apps available that do the same things, its just that having the functions on the chip eliminates a lot of steps that you would have to do by using an app.

jedimike

Ecrofirt said:
That's what I thought.

If I have an Xenium, can I upgrade the OS that's on it?

Definitely! I've upgraded my OS from ver 1.0 to 1.1 and when 2.0 is officially released, I can upgrade to that. I'm not sure how it all works, but you actually put the upgrades on the hard drive.

Top Bottom