• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 2... not in 2005

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I'm quite surprised if it's indeed the case (no reason Ballmer should lie in fact). Where are the big 1st/2nd games for end of 2005 then ?

http://www.gamegossip.com/comment.php?id=8976

After some explanations about some strange use of words in english (sue me, I'm french) then it could mean that Xbox 2 could be released after July 2005. Sorry about that.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Blimblim said:
no reason Ballmer should lie in fact

Actually, I can think of a reason why they would lie. They don't want it to impact their current business. If Xbox 2 isn't coming out next year then why were some 3rd party devs trying to have software ready for it by next fall/winter?

Actually, I can think of a reason why they would lie. They don't want it to impact their current business. If Xbox 2 isn't coming out next year then why were some 3rd party devs trying to have software ready for it by next fall/winter?

I think it's a bit iffy. I mean on the one hand it would effect their current business, but on the other why wouldn't they be straight up with their investors?

aaaaa0

“There's no new Xbox in the next year, but, man, are we hard at work on that next Xbox; that's all we'll say."

Unclear.

It's a financial meeting and Microsoft's fiscal year runs from July 2004 to June 2005...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
JC10001 said:
Yeah I know. But instead of just stating something like that (if indeed it's still the plan to release Xbox 2 at the end of 2005) then he should just shut up then.
Don't forget he was speaking to investors, these guys don't like to be lied to.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
ManDudeChild said:
I think it's a bit iffy. I mean on the one hand it would effect their current business, but on the other why wouldn't they be straight up with their investors?

Read the quote from the article. They say:

There's no new Xbox in the next year. ("in" as in "within")

Which means no new Xbox between now and July 2005. Thats different than them saying "There will be no new Xbox next year."

Blimblim

The Inside Track
MightyHedgehog said:
So, really, fall '05 is still quite possible.
English is not my first language but how can "There's no new Xbox in the next year" mean this year (started one month ago) ?

Blimblim said:
English is not my first language but how can "There's no new Xbox in the next year" mean this year (started one month ago) ?

If it's meant in the context of fiscal year, then anything released after July '05 is in the following year, not in the next year...next meaning this current fiscal year.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Blimblim said:

When you say something like "in the next year" or "in the next month" or "in the next week" in English it means "between now and this time next year" or "within the next month" or "within the next week".

When someone means next year (as in all of 2005) they will say "next year". I can easily see how someone could get that messed up though if English isn't their first language. It's a subtle change in wording but the two sayings have drastically different meanings. You should congratulate yourself on being able to speak and write in English so well. You sound more coherent in your posts than some of the native english speakers on this board.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Dave Long said:
Pretty sure he meant fiscal year there. Fall 2005 launch seems almost assured.
End of 2005 launch would make perfect sense indeed, I was really surprised by that statement.
If a mod could edit the title of the topic so it's not that misleading, thanks.

BeOnEdge

Banned
its not coming in 2005. i've said it like 20 times already. releasing early doent help MS save any money 1 bit. i dont see how anyone firgures it will no matter how expensive the 1st xbox is. if halo 2 does good, more hardware sells and more SOFTWARE moves after that. thats where the profit will be for them software and LIVE. x2 in 2006.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
BeOnEdge said:
its not coming in 2005. i've said it like 20 times already. releasing early doent help MS save any money 1 bit. i dont see how anyone firgures it will no matter how expensive the 1st xbox is. if halo 2 does good, more hardware sells and more SOFTWARE moves after that. thats where the profit will be for them software and LIVE. x2 in 2006.

If everyone took that line of reasoning they would never release new systems. Releasing the Xbox 2 in the US approximately 6 months ahead of the japanese PS3 launch isn't so much about profit (even though it will likely be more profitable for MS than Xbox 1 when all is said and done) as it is about gaining additional marketshare and mindshare in the next generation.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Prine said:
I dont think its coming 2005 either. That would be stupid

When you think about it, it really isn't that early. The PS3 will most likely be released in the second quarter of 2006 in Japan. So the debuts of both systems will be roughly 6 months apart. There wouldn't be that much difference technology wise in that brief period of time.

If MS waited until Fall 2006 to launch Xbox 2 in the US along side the US debut of the PS3 then Sony will of already built up a sizable lead just with Japan alone. Releasing earlier than 2006 in the US allows MS to keep Sony's japanese gains in check while giving the system the time it needs to build up a good library of games by the time the PS3 launches in the US.

Izzy

Banned
For all we know, PS3 could be released Q4 2005 in JP, and Q1-2 2006 in US/Europe. I don't think Fall 2005 Xenon release is too early.

BeOnEdge

Banned
you dont know when ps3 will be released. x2s release date will be dictated by ps3s but ps3 isnt looking to be on track either. e3 2005 will have all answers.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Izzy doesn't know when PS3 is being launched.

You don't know when Xbox2 is being launched. Doesn't stop you being so damn certain about it though :p

Izzy

Banned
If I was so certain about the PS3 launch I wouldn't have posted 'For all we know, PS3 could be released Q4 2005 in JP, and Q1-2 2006 in US/Europe'. I would have posted 'PS3 will be released Q4 2005 in JP, and Q1-2 2006 in US/Europe' instead. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing, indeed.

jarrod

Banned
BeOnEdge said:
Live is still a loss returning investment irrc. Truncating XBoxes lifespan most definitely saves Microsoft money in the long run, Xenon with it's very Nintendo inspired design will be able to make a return much sooner than XBox (which is looking like it'll never make a return). Follow our lead...

Izzy said:
For all we know, PS3 could be released Q4 2005 in JP, and Q1-2 2006 in US/Europe. I don't think Fall 2005 Xenon release is too early.
Realistically, I doubt Cell/BRD costs will be down enough for a launch that early. Unless Sony intends to up launch pricing, I'm thinking summer 2006 for Japan, fall/winter America.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
I really wouldn't put too much stock into Ballmer's quote; not only are his semantics confusing, but the whole thing is one big sentence fragment that makes it seem as if he was just rambling on:

“There's no new Xbox in the next year, but, man, are we hard at work on that next Xbox; that's all we'll say. New Xbox Live creativity, "Halo 2," and again innovation fuels growth, innovation fuels growth. It's about as simple as that. People fuel innovation, innovation fuels growth and customer satisfaction, driving that hard, make sure that the wheel can come around and around and around and around and around.”

Going by that sentence, you'd think Halo 2 was on Xenon. The whole thing is just tremendously unclear.

Especially in light of what developers, anonymous insiders, and Microsoft execs themselves have said, I think a Fall 2005 launch for Xenon is the most likely scenario.

Izzy

Banned
Realistically, I doubt Cell/BRD costs will be down enough for a launch that early. Unless Sony intends to up launch pricing, I'm thinking summer 2006 for Japan, fall/winter America.

I fully expect $300-400 price. What I don't expect, is BRD. It's too early and far too expensive for the PS3 implementation. Oh, how I hope Panajev doesn't enter this thread...

doncale

Banned
a Q4 2005 launch of Xbox 2 just does not give developers enough time to create next-gen games. otherwise we'd be seeing mostly PC ports, and upgraded PS2-Xbox-GC games on Xbox 2 in 2005.

Q4 2005 also probably does not give ATI enough time to complete a R600 derivative. as well as chip manufacturing facilities enough time to get 65 nm process down.

Microsoft would be wise to wait

jarrod

Banned
doncale said:
a Q4 2005 launch of Xbox 2 just does not give developers enough time to create next-gen games. otherwise we'd be seeing mostly PC ports, and upgraded PS2-Xbox-GC games on Xbox 2 in 2005.
Er, developers are working on games/engines right now. Have been since last spring iirc (probably longer for internal projects like Perfect Dark Zero), 1.5 years is definietly enough time to get launch stuff together.

jedimike

jarrod said:
They better release in 2005 considering the specs are locked down now...

damn I missed that... can you link that article?

Q4 2005 launch of Xbox 2 just does not give developers enough time to create next-gen games.

26 months isn't long enough to develop a game? Dev kits were delivered last September.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
damn I missed that... can you link that article?
It was an interiew with Allard, he mentioned the specs being locked but may be "modified". I think it was CVG, it's been dicussed on the forum before... I'll look quick.

jedimike

jarrod said:
It was an interiew with Allard, he mentioned the specs being locked but may be "modified". I think it was CVG, it's been dicussed on the forum before... I'll look quick.

I think what you mean is that the design is locked but the specs can be modified. Allard also said that they won't let Sony get a technical advantage and that they will meet or beat whatever they do.

jarrod

Banned
jedimike said:
I think what you mean is that the design is locked but the specs can be modified. Allard also said that they won't let Sony get a technical advantage and that they will meet or beat whatever they do.
Same difference, the overall architecture seems to be set in stone now. There maybe be some tweaks with processor speed or RAM allotments or whatever but Xenon is really finalized at this point... which makes a 2005 launch all the more likely imo.

AFAIK, Xenon specs are locked, but they're leaving space on the initial board to add more RAM if necessary. They don't expect to have the most RAM this time round (which has been their major advantage this gen), but won't allow themselves to have the least.

Top Bottom